Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Today I bring you my current project in the Subaru World of Nite's Car!

Clean as a whistle

Layers 1 and 2 applied. Dry time was 2 hrs in the sun.

It's taken out, and cleaned. Now to clean her up and put some more of this stuff together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I had only bought a little thing of resin, and i ran out of resin...

So, i think tomorrow if i get lucky, i'll go pick up some fleece or fabric of some sort, and some wood...

Come Monday I'll be able to pick up more resin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks,

I had only bought a little thing of resin, and i ran out of resin...

So, i think tomorrow if i get lucky, i'll go pick up some fleece or fabric of some sort, and some wood...

Come Monday I'll be able to pick up more resin.
What's the plan, or do you want to keep us in suspense? ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the plan is a ported Fiberglass box for an Alpine Type X. After the box is built, I'll take the Styrofoam insert out of the bottom of the car, build another fiberglass enclosure for the MDR M1000 to power the type X.

While the space is kinda objectionable for the Type X, i'm hoping that i'll have come near close - as the space in the back of the trunk is rather limited (If i want to have usable space...)

I am also playing w/ the Idea of mounting my 2 and 4 channel amps on the opposite side using the exact same mold with recessions to mount the amps into.

It's a possibility.

Now I head off to the store. Wish me luck.

haha.

Update @ Sunday September 7th/08

Working on stuff... old Legacy in the background

I cut it out, and checked it out to make sure it fit and lined up well

On my awesome work bench. Yep...

Dowels put in place, holding the sub plate.

Look @ what it would look like, with my little buddy Farley givin me a hand.

My drill ran out of power, and the power plug is in the work shop... *sigh* but, she works nicely.

What I plan this to look like @ some point...

I have a Cap i plan to put in place too @ some point in this scheme, I just haven't got there - I'd like to get this done before I go and start wiring the car up.

I wasn't able to find any more RESIN in this small assed town ... so i'll have to wait until Monday when i head to the City. :-\ ...

After that, it's add more layers to the original Fiberglass enclosure, Put the wooden dowel sub plate in place, fleece, and fiberglass the fleece.... i've got an interesting project going here...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Project on hold - it started to rain and hasn't stopped in 2 days... I don't have a garage that I can work in. :mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does that mean that the back window could potentially shatter on me?
I've had this Type X running in 3 vehicles now....

1989 Caravelle, 1994 Legacy GT, and now it's going into the 2008 Impreza.

I figured I'd have some interesting problems with the trunk - it's rather flimsy... I made some braces - i'll take a pic the next time i'm out there working. Hopefully that'll help resolve some flex.
The rest of the vibration issues i was hoping to resolve as I went.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no your back window should be fine.. ive been runnin mine for a couple weeks now and all is good :) was just warning you about the horrible vibrations. i even used a gallon of spray sound detonator on the rear section.. keep me posted

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i hope you are considering doing some deadening job in your trunk... if not it will sound like rattle shit

·
Registered
21 Posts
i hope you are considering doing some deadening job in your trunk... if not it will sound like rattle shit
actually... i have two kicker CVX 12's with 1500 watts rms going to them in a 5 cubic foot box and mine doesnt rattle to bad and i have yet to start with the dynomat process.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
anyone know how bad the rattles are in the 5 door? Im gonna be putting in my eclipse 12 and I want to know how much extra I need to save up for rattle reduction. My friends 03 wagon's headliner rattles REALLY bad. Anyone else have that problem?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Subscribing!

Got a 10-inch Pioneer Premier going in this week... I guess vibrations shouldn't be an issue for me, given it's modest size and output.

I really need to update this forum with my cars build with some write ups/reviews.

A brief run down of my system:

Front Doors: Infinity Kappa Components 60.9cs
Rear Doors: Infinity Kappa 2-ways 62.9i
Subwoofer: 8-inch Pioneer Premier Slim Subwoofer in custom enclosure (under passenger seat)
Amplifier: Hifonics Zeus ZXi8006 5-channel Amp (under drivers seat)

My whole intention with the underseat stuff was to keep things hidden and away from jealous eyes and preserve space. Well that Slim sub just cannot put out strong enough lows to complement the bright, crisp clarity of the Infinity's. So on Monday I'm taking it out and putting in a new 10-inch Pioneer Premier in the trunk. Also going to relocate the Amp to the trunk for better cooling. I bought the Subaru tweeter caps, and they are literally bulging open and my tweeters wont even properly fit in there! They are monsters, damned near 2 inches! So I'm purchasing Infinity Kappa 10.9T 1-inch tweeters to fit more properly. I'm excited to hear the end result! This systems gonna rock!

What are your plans with the entire system? Or is the sub the only addition?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha,

Nope, the Sub won't be the only addition to the system. If you note one of the pics, there's a 4channel amp going in there too.

I've been debating going w/ the stock head unit mostly because of the effort involved in putting together the resistors and so forth to keep the steering controls - I rather like those steering controls... they're cool. and i spent more money for them damnit! lol.

The speakers'll have to wait, although from what it looks like the premium system doesn't have too bad of a speaker set... just really really poor amplification from the H/U.

I just bought another house w/ my wife, so everything's kinda been put on hold while we move our stuff into the new house and stuff.

It's my 2nd house I've bought and I still don't have a garage! :mad:

Oh well, it's of fair size, and i get the whole basement to myself. Yay?

Anyway - I plan on bringing this back from the grave come October 5th or so.

Sorry about the delay guys - life got in the way..

Until the next update - wish me luck?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I've heard good things about the Premium system... but I ended up with a base model, no steering wheel controls and pretty crappy speakers with magnets that feel filled with helium. Really sub par. The Infinitys are big boys in comparison and the sound quality is unmatched.

I had to personally push back my system work until Wednesday... It's normal for things to get in the way. It means you have a life and other priorities :)

Goodluck with the move, and best of luck with the system build up, I'll be patiently waiting for your results! In the meantime, I'll definitely do a write up of my own.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
That's awesome! Props for doing it your self as well, hope it comes out nice and clean :)

Troa, as for the rattle...Well to be honest you can't buy a Subie and not expect something to F'in rattle lol. But I've had my car for almost a year now and have just started noticing my first baby rattle from the back. I expect, just as in my bug eye, mom's tribeca, and my bro's old 2.5RS that it will slowly but surely get louder. But you know what, it comes with the car you know, like a free premium or something :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started it back up yesterday. The wife stole my camera for a staggette, so unfortunately we'll be missing a few steps for the chronologicalness of the pictures.

... I also had a mishap, apparently Resin gets very jello-y at anywhere below 9 degrees celsius... *sigh*

We'll see what happens.

I'll take more pics soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts