Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, Jon here from Colorado. I'm a newbie to the forum and don't own a Subaru, let alone a WRX. However, I am looking to upgrade...

(Oh, and also, I apologize if this is the incorrect forum. I didn't see a specific "transmission" forum, so I'm sorry if I missed that and posted incorrectly.)

Currently I own a 2011 Kia Forte, and it has a 6-speed manual transmission. Several months ago I installed an OEM short-throw shifter kit, and have pleased with the results. As I shop for a new car, I test-drove a 6-speed WRX, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it had the STI short-throw shifter, as well. However, I really didn't feel like it was that significant. In fact, the length of the entire shifter & knob seemed too high to me. BTW - I understand that a short-throw shifter is not simply chopping the length of the shaft. But it just seemed like I needed an additional piece of center armrest in order for my right arm to feel comfortable while driving and shifting.

Anyway, my question to everyone is this: for those who have the short-throw option on their transmission, are you satisfied? Do you like it? Is there a different/better aftermarket kit out there, or is the OEM option "good enough?" I'm not trying to bag on criticize your cars, I'm just seeking to learn more and get a feel for the community opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
LOL this forum died years ago but to answer your question; the oem short throw is a joke for the price. You'll notice a bigger difference by swapping the shifter/bushings with something aftermarket and save money doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts