Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really race other cars, but I do have my favorite roads to kill - does that count as illegal street racing??

Outside the city, there is a road through the hills with a really fun mix of long-ish bends, medium sized corners and tighter ones, with lots of long undulations that make the g-forces (if you can go fast and smooth enough) a really creepy feeling, maybe more so for passengers, who go WhoooaaAAAooo hahaha... A bit like weightlessness or super heavy limbs for a few split seconds depending where you are. Feels like slow motion sometimes though!

There is one corner that is scary, maybe cause it's mostly blind because it comes up over a rolling left (or right, depending which way your're going, but up both ways) and the camber of the road is opposite to what you'd want. the left is a bit scarier. (Just a two lane road)

I've only had 2 days driving my S-GT, (train commute - F**K!!) over the weekend and of course I had to go out there and see how it felt. Still getting used to the car, (I was a bit jittery with teh handling in corners finding the feel of the car) but the steering felt precise, it held really stable in long high-speed bends, and overall I had a huge smile on my face! (Also, of course, keeping in mind that it was a brand new engine and to keep the rev's "down"... stopped myself about 6000) Fun, feeling that sweet acceleration out of the tight ones too.

Anyway, sometimes I think this solo type stuff is a bit like masturbation... Jeez can't believe I just said that!

·
Registered
577 Posts
"Anyway, sometimes I think this solo type stuff is a bit like masturbation... Jeez can't believe I just said that!"

its so true....nothing better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
hahah you're gonna see alot of people posting hate posts here soon! hahaha

true blue tokyo drift (well not really) action...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good stuff...just be careful and watch out for other motorists doing the same thing, lol...it'd suck to drift through a turn and meet another wrx coming in the opposite direction doing the same thing :eek:

Yeah, it's good advice to be cautious... Theere is the constant danger of things beyond my control coming into play but it is a chance I elect to take - what I can do, however, is to be constantly aware of my own limitations, the car's limitations, the surroundings and everchanging split second situations. I suppose the key is to always be within my own "safe" boundries and not go wild - I believe that's when you fuck up and screw up your car, well, if you're lucky just your car...

As a side note, I guess I am under no illusions that I am Joe Pro driver - I've never drifted a car on pavement before even! (Used to do it in the snow a lot though). I do like "carving" turns, and that's all I want to do I guess. Don't understand the allure of drifting... Well OK, my Mustang GT years back used to lose the tail quite a bit but I wouldn't call that "drifiting". Also hydroplaned in the same car on the freeway pretty bad one time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I really love to ride solo on a good curvy road feels good and less stupid that drag racing and other car in town ;D gotta be carefull though the bumps from spring heat on the road are bad on suspension

·
Registered
498 Posts
Be Careful...

This coming from the man who just spent the last 7 days driving around the hills of North/South Carolina and Tennesee!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be Careful...

This coming from the man who just spent the last 7 days driving around the hills of North/South Carolina and Tennesee!

Nice! There must be some really cool roads up there.

I really love to ride solo on a good curvy road feels good and less stupid that drag racing and other car in town ;D gotta be carefull though the bumps from spring heat on the road are bad on suspension

Drag racing... I Am from Canada, and I admit I did my share of drag racing and whatnot, I guess because it was the thing to do or something but, honestly, why would you buy a car like a WRX if you only wanted a dragster I wonder??

I suppose drag racing, and oval racing for that matter are uniquely (North) American and will remain so for some time. It's not as if I'm all "worldly" and I like soccer now and all that, but my two cents is that if drag racing is what you want to do, a muscle car from the late 60's is the way to go, just cause they were made for that basically and plus they are bada$$!

·
Registered
498 Posts
The pic is from the "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennesee. It is a tremendous road but way to popular. Check it out here:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

There are some other roads in the area that are just as good, you just have to do some adventure driving. There are also a couple of one way gravel ;D roads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pic is from the "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennesee. It is a tremendous road but way to popular. Check it out here:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

There are some other roads in the area that are just as good, you just have to do some adventure driving. There are also a couple of one way gravel ;D roads.

I will look more into that site but at a glance, those roads look sick! Like, really nicely paved and neat cambers and, super curvy - just the way I like women too... The way that semi is all bent out of shape just to get through there is nuts. Sorry if that's not PC enough for the more sensitive types... You know, Had a few beers, blah blah blah ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I don't like the dragon.

it's full of idiots on harleys and a ton of ricers thinking they're in a rally.

plus it's a big tourist attraction... and semi trucks don't know how to stay on their side.

add all of that together and you get a parade route full of cops waiting for you to go 1mph over the speed limit...

don't waste your gas.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I always go during the week. Much less traffic. I have sat on the southern start point several times and not seen a car going my direction for 5 and 10 minutes at a time. Like I said you can find many roads that demand your attention with a litte "Adventure Driving"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you kept the revs down...to 6000? I rarely go above 5k simply because the TC dies out. I didn't go above 4k during breakin.

Redline is 7500k in my car. Peak is around 6500, that's what it feels like anyway. Pulls hard and smooth form just around 2500k to 65000-7000k. By that time I'm going pretty fast so it's hard to focus too much on teh tach. So nowadays, now that break-in is pretty much done, I shift around there when I decide to give'er some stick. Don't really need/want to go all the way to the redline cause the power kinda flattens out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts