Subaru WRX Forums banner

181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Shooting in the 80's with little ball now but, haven't touched the rig in a bit! Need to get these damn gauges installed but on the fence if I should have someone weld the 02 bung while the DP is on or....do the PITA removal and have it welded in while it's off the car.

Looks like it's still pretty dead around here.........cheers!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
glad to see you updating your build progress!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I had another daughter, was/am obsessed with golf, and have been getting my ars kicked at work. And besides, my next stages are FP and Injectors so I'm in no rush to freeze my hands off and try to install stuff for a few more months!!

And BTW, the Bridgestone tires blow in the snow. I may as well be on summer tires so, next snow I may be back on Conti DWS tires and stock wheels (booooooo). Hell, I may even throw back on the mushy stock suspension so I can clear more than a few inches of snow and my wheel wells don;t fill up and rub the tires within 10 minutes.

And since I'm a gauge newb......what's the trick to getting the gauge w/brackets mounted to the SMY pod?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Battery finally kicked the bucket after many days at or below 10-15 degrees here in Denver. Need to look at batteries now, Optima yellow or red maybe. NO real idea about how to choose a battery......yet.

Problem is now that my rear defrost won't turn on. It worked after my first jump start of the morning but after my second, it doesn't light up on the dash control. Guess I'll start at fuses...maybe?!?!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Little AEM Boost Gauge Plumbing Help......

FINALLY getting around to installing the WBo2 and Boost gauges but, I have a small dilemma involving a couple of brass parts in the boost gauge box. It's the parts of the pressure sensor assembly I know but, where do I mount them? Am I just supposed to drill a hole in the firewall and sandwich the firewall in between the male/female of this assembly, only leaving the part in the engine compartment for my vac hose to connect to?

Here's the pic and I am talking about the 2 brass fittings to the left. Also, the only wording in the instructions pertaining to the pressure sensor says "Sensor Installation: The AEM pressure sensor has 1/8”NPT external threads. Install the sensor into a bung with mating threads."

aem_30_4406_6_lg.jpg

Not worried about the actual wiring but the plumbing has some parts that I can't seem to find and info about specifically. Everytrhing I've read talks about using the 'T" splitter which makes sense but, these pieces appear to be another link in the chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
have you asked Monkiboy, looks like a project he did awhile back?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Seems like I just have to find a place in the engine bay and secure it. I'll be routing the wires and tubing through the plug just above the dead pedal and through the wheel well inside the liner. I think the hardest part of the install is going to be actually running wires......

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
any photos you got of the issues you're running into?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
Rear df just started working again the same day I originally posted, no issues since.

As for gauges, I've got power to both, the SMY pod with gauges is in, and boost is working.... SORT OF. I hope it's just reading low because my ground isn't good enough. Test it some more tomorrow. I went through the wheel well and the rubber piece just above the dead pedal, pretty easy with the wheel off to remove the wheel well liner. I also cut a small x in the rubber piece so I could get the wires and plugs through safely.

I'll get the WB o2 bung welded next week. Currently the cable minus the sensor, is nicely waterproofed and sitting zip tied in the engine bay waiting to be run over to the DP once the bung is there.

Quick night shot, seriously annoying that the boost gauge reads -6 with the engine off......more work ahead as usual:)

uploadfromtaptalk1390022583731.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
hey I have the same gauges just not installed yet haha

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
how was the install? the directions were pretty vague from the box. I looked at some tutorials online but didn't find much for an 08 wrx

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)
Pretty easy, just get the pressure sensor cable somewhere in the engine bay and plug in the hose after you add a split on the recirc hose coming off the BOV. For sure the biggest pita was taking the wheel of and pulling the wheel liner. I suppose the fact that the provided plumbing "t" was too small as well. Had to spend a couple bucks a artery pack of tubing fittings at OReilly's. Worked out after all.

I did put the brass fitting up just past the battery toward the BOV and zip tied it to another sturdy hose. The sender cable runs the same route as my amp power wire and is zip tied in the wheel well to the rest of the cables in there.

Used an add a fuse into fuse 16, it's labeled ILM so it's perfect. I then grounded everything, I say that because my Wideband is all run on these same connections, on the bolt just above the carpet line that attached the gas pedal assembly.

For sure pop the oem speedo/rpm gauge pod out. I brought gauge females up through a rectangle hole just under the left front edge of the stock gauge pod. The hole had a little fabric covering part of it but was open.

Now to finish the wideband USB logging cable for my first soldering project!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Nice! at least now I have a better idea of what Im getting into.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
Not super happy other than Loveland Pass, Battle Mtn Pass, and Vail Pass. I think I over boosted and kicked the car is safe mode...... Dash lit up like a Xmas tree.:-(

It was at lower RPM and stepped on it in fourth. Right when boost seemed to be picking up.....SLAM.....dash lit up.

Going to log in Romraider and pull a Learning view look too. Could it have been the 10,000 elevation?
I have over boosted a couple times now and scared
the ECU...... No me gusta.

Hoping that this plumbing set, with the added 90 degree in the recirc BOV air line, didn't mess anything up?!?! It shouldn't.............

Boost Gauge-BOV Splitter.jpg

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Boost creep got me..... High elevation, super cold, WOT at real low RPMs in 4th/5th. I've read lots of cases of this happening and most times the end of it sounds like.... Don't dog out the car in 4th/5th and then go WOT and expect the car to pull safely from 2k RPMs all the way up.... Lame:-( I suppose that's just a part of tuning... Maybe?

Also fighting the UEGO, it fires up, does a dance, bounces around at about 14.6-14.8 for about 4 seconds, then it sweeps left all the way and bounces all the way right and reads "---". The dang thing won't read and the sensor failed the "gas rag" test. I've got another sensor on the way to make sure it's that before I go to AEM and or IIR for a warranty replacement.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts