Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out from the Subaru in Singapore that they recommend using Mineral oil for 1600km and 5000km servicing. Only after 10000km are we recommended to use Synthetic Oil

I'm just curious cos my previous car used synthetic oil right after the 1000km servicing. I actually prefer to use Synthetic oil after 1600km, so i'm here to find out whats the standard in the subarus overseas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My local dealer told me that i should do my next oil change with their OEM stuff and then after switiching to full synthec

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just found out from the Subaru in Singapore that they recommend using Mineral oil for 1600km and 5000km servicing. Only after 10000km are we recommended to use Synthetic Oil

I'm just curious cos my previous car used synthetic oil right after the 1000km servicing. I actually prefer to use Synthetic oil after 1600km, so i'm here to find out whats the standard in the subarus overseas.

Thanks!
The reason subaru singapore gave was that the time between change is too short to justify using synthetic oil.
They are fine in using the synthetic oil as long as we are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i dont use synthec for changing my oil less often, i alway do 5000km even if the oil say i can go up to 12 000km in some case

like the dealer said, im gonna do my next home with their OEM stuff and after im gonna do it myself with better syntech oil and their OEM filter (or STI if available)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks!
The reason subaru singapore gave was that the time between change is too short to justify using synthetic oil.
They are fine in using the synthetic oil as long as we are willing to pay for it.
point taken. I'll switch to synthetic the next servicing (1600km)..

And yes i change oil every 5000km. its expecially important if you're using an open pod air intake system. More flow = more dirt.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
sorry for the late reply. There may be some truth to it. On the S2000 boards, people do say that switching to synthetic too early may result in oil getting burned up later on. And Subaru puts in dino oil from the factory I believe. My brother's 05 WRX w/ ~15000 miles burns a bit of oil already, he switched to synthetic right after break-in.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
On my 04 Suby, I switched after my first oil change and didn't have any problems, I ran up 45k miles before I sold it. There are a lot of manufacturers that put Syn in off the factory. So, I am not sure whether it is a bad thing or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I switched to royal purple in my 08 after 2600 miles. I had a 98 Integra GSR new that I used synthetic in for it's entire life, from the first oil change. Drove it to 200,000 miles before I sold it to buy the 08 Sub. Royal Purple recommends waiting until the engine has at least 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My car doesn't use any oil, so I figured I'd wait until the gas mileage stops improving as an indicator for when to switch to synth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts