Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got the new iPhone 4S. Its pretty cool and I rate it compared with the SGS2. Only thing is I found when restoring from my old iOS4 update to my new iOS5 phone - it killed the battery!! As in off the charge at 6am, and then dead by just past 1pm!! It was unbelievable, I was so shocked and thought my phone was a dud!
Anyway, will be interested to see when it finally gets out that you need to treat the phone as new - if you havent backed up previously as iOS5 when coming from your old iPhone.
Must be the power management or somthing in the old iOS because my new phone was stuffed. Apparently some of the Apple engineers have been calling some people off the forums who have complained about the issue, so that they could install some power/montioring application. Pretty crazy but apparently true - they want to find out what is causing it.
that will be good for those who cant afford to do a clean install (lose media etc) but for now, at least you know, just do a clean iOS5 install and dont restore form an old back up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E!!

Ok here is the dealy yo, yo.
Got my iPhone 4S, started using it out of the box, almost.

Firstly I restored my old settings onto it (and whatever else gets restored). Battery was terrible etc etc was about to take it back and then I heard that it is possible that iOS5 does not like being restored onto from iOS4 point anything.

So I got my iPhone and just erased everything and set it up as a new phone.Battery was working AWESOME!! Better than some apple claims.. I ws getting up to 18 hours use.

So then 5.0.1 came out.. I wasnt gonna do it but thought to myself, it could be good cause it might make the battery last even longer, and it now added better language for SIRI for Australians.
So I did it.. and my god the battery went back to how it was.. CRAP!! Could not get past 3.30pm in the day.. I was a bit upset cause I thought I might have ruined my once well running phone.
I used it for a few days like that and i can confirm it did in fact (the iOS5.0.1 update) ruin the power levels.

SO I started again, restoring the phone to iOS.5.0.1, and setting up as a new phone.. start from scratch if you will..

It took a lot of effort as you have a lot of things to re-do such as placement of apps music, email settings etc.. but my battery just this saturday, lasted from 5am, till 2.06pm the NEXT day (sunday!).. I was trying to kill it at the end just playing videos.. So yes now battery is amazing, best so far on an iPhone but it takes a little thinking and mucking about to achieve.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the 3GS very good phone and if you don't need to upgrade don't bother. To me the screen resolution, speed of the OS and ability to play all the games and apps eg SF IV etc at fluid frame rates made me jump on it. But if your just making calls and music I wouldn't bother, the 3GS does the job. Like I mentioned I do now get about 26-34 hours of battery something I never got with the 3GS. if I was you I would get the iPhone 5 it will be awesome even better than the 4S.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I was waiting for the 5 & was hoping to get it during xmas. but the launch of the 4S just threw a wet blanket over my head :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the "rumour" is that it will be out in June probably.. so quite a while away yet.. But you never know with Apple!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got an SGS2, and swear by it.

I always thought battery was TERRIBLE, until I worked out the Facebook App was constantly using 40% CPU.

I uninstalled the app, use the mobile site and now never run out of battery (go from 6am to 6pm without a charge easily).

I'd suggest getting the SGS3 if you were keen on getting a new phone soon, those things are the bomb :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an SGS2, and swear by it.

I always thought battery was TERRIBLE, until I worked out the Facebook App was constantly using 40% CPU.

I uninstalled the app, use the mobile site and now never run out of battery (go from 6am to 6pm without a charge easily).

I'd suggest getting the SGS3 if you were keen on getting a new phone soon, those things are the bomb :)

SGS3, I R HAAZZ IT.
battery last too long for 1 day, just too short for 2. Annoying when it dies in the middle of the day, THAT'S WHY I GOT A SPARE BATTERY AND BATTERY CHARGE :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Genuine samsung battery pack, $49-49.95 depends where you go, I got it from a vodafone store,
business write off

·
Registered
17 Posts
ah too easy. i bought them for $4-$10 a pop off that website. keep one charged in the car, in my work bag, desk, etc etc.

Replaceable battery is such a huge up over the iPhone...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ah too easy. i bought them for - a pop off that website. keep one charged in the car, in my work bag, desk, etc etc.

Replaceable battery is such a huge up over the iPhone...

yeah definitely, I wholesale phone covers and screen protectors etc, so iPhones make my money xD, can't hate on it too much lol.

It's not just that battery i got, also a docking station to place the battery in to charge it :).

look up samsung galaxy s 3 battery kit

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have to say ebay batteries are hell cheap.. but they usually suck if you want long life.. Ive bought them for everything from my XBOX360 controllers to about 3 different phones.. always the same result.. no where near the more expensive legit ones

·
Registered
17 Posts
Of course, but when they are 1/10th the price, I can theoretically buy 9 of then and have WAY more battery life than 1 legit one, and have paid less. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Of course, but when they are 1/10th the price, I can theoretically buy 9 of then and have WAY more battery life than 1 legit one, and have paid less. :)

convenience of not having to plug your phone in, fully charge that battery, and swap it then charge the other one, SWAP AND GOOOOO. like a pit stop :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts