Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is to my understanding that mods from the older model Impreza will work on the new Impreza? Is this true and if so what years? I was wondering because I want to get the turbo kit for the 05 or 07, not sure which one it was that I found. Would this work on my NA Impreza?

·
Registered
700 Posts
i would imagine bolt patterns are the same for the turbo manifold but im almost positive wiring and such will be diff. ask a mechanic at your dealer. they would probally have the best knowledge cuz i doubt anyone has tried that yet. i could be totally wrong though

·
Registered
64 Posts
No offense, but why buy a brand new NA and then buy a turbo kit for it, instead of just buying a WRX in the first place? The cost of the turbo kit and all the additional cost pretty much equal the cost of the WRX, and you immediately void the warranty on your new car.......does not make sense to me.....

·
Registered
700 Posts
No offense, but why buy a brand new NA and then buy a turbo kit for it, instead of just buying a WRX in the first place? The cost of the turbo kit and all the additional cost pretty much equal the cost of the WRX, and you immediately void the warranty on your new car.......does not make sense to me.....
was wondering that myself.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I would tend to agree that it's not something i would do either (as I bought a 2.5i as well)...however, an NA 2.5i with a bolt-on turbo is faster than a stock wrx.

Most turbo kits add between 60-70 horses and the 2.5i has 10:1 pistons in it, which eliminate that low RPM turbo lag.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Most turbo kits add between 60-70 horses and the 2.5i has 10:1 pistons in it, which eliminate that low RPM turbo lag.

my 08 stock had hardly any turbo lag... i was quite impressed......my dealer said that the 07 and 08 wrx's have an electric supercharger that generates slight amount of boost to help the turbo at low rpm...can anyone verrify this? i googled it and came up wit nothing, speaking of google for the people who haven't tried this do it...type in "find chuck norris" on google and then hit im feeling lucky. absolutly hilarious

·
Registered
519 Posts
There is nothing but the turbo in the WRX. The small turbo impellor allows it to spool at a lower RPM to make it lag less but whether you feel it or not there is a bit of lag from when you press the pedal to the floor till the engine power really comes on. N/A cars it is more of an instant thing.

Seth

·
Registered
182 Posts

my 08 stock had hardly any turbo lag... i was quite impressed......my dealer said that the 07 and 08 wrx's have an electric supercharger that generates slight amount of boost to help the turbo at low rpm...can anyone verrify this? i googled it and came up wit nothing, speaking of google for the people who haven't tried this do it...type in "find chuck norris" on google and then hit im feeling lucky. absolutly hilarious
Your dealer was blowing it out his you-know-what.

As piperdriver stated, the quick spool is due to the small turbo (a Mitsubishi TD04-13G). Boost starts to come on shortly after 2000rpm and peaks around 2800rpm. The tradeoff is that the turbo is unable to maintain boost as the rpms climb, so the boost pressure falls off (and so does the torque).

People fix this by bolting on larger turbos. The tradeoff is that max boost is not attained until a few hundred rpms later, because you are trying to spin up more rotating mass.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, my tuner told me that he could build me a custom turbo that would put 300-350 at the wheels and have the same spool as the stock turbo, but just carry it all the way to the end.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That would be sweet. I wonder what it would feel like to have 13-14 PSI right to redline, and if the engine would survive it?

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, you do know that we don't have the old impreza tranny. We have the Legacy tranny which is good to 400whp. So, I think that our system could easily handle it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thank god we have a better tranny......MY02 tranny sucked, the whole drivetrain in that matter!! This by far is a better starting block of a car (besides the STi) that Subaru has come out with....... ;D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, my tuner told me that he could build me a custom turbo that would put 300-350 at the wheels and have the same spool as the stock turbo, but just carry it all the way to the end.
Sure, certainly. It'll cost a little more. :)

All else equal (that's the important phrase!), a larger turbo takes longer to spool up. Improve flow to the turbine side, and improve flow out the compressor stage, and that changes, as all else is no longer equal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, I didnt buy the wrx because i couldnt afford the insurance.... if a buy a turbo seperate, i dont have to tell my insurance i put a turbo on it. although it might seem stupid at first, it is kinda a good idea in my opion, but i probably wont turbo it for the fact that it will void the warranty. which kinda sucks. anyways......so other mods from the older models will work on the 08? what years?

·
Registered
72 Posts
well, I didnt buy the wrx because i couldnt afford the insurance.... if a buy a turbo seperate, i dont have to tell my insurance i put a turbo on it. although it might seem stupid at first, it is kinda a good idea in my opion, but i probably wont turbo it for the fact that it will void the warranty. which kinda sucks. anyways......so other mods from the older models will work on the 08? what years?
Not telling the insurance company about major modifications to the car, can carry it's own set of problems as well...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
From 02 up there are many mods that work. If you look at the legacy though there would be more stuff that goes back and forth. But, you could get upgraded brakes from 02 up WRXs to fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts