Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the current fuel market I thought this would be a fitting topic.

I know there are many people out there looking to squeeze every drop of gas out of their daily drivers. Personally, I've been looking for mods and add-ons that will both increase my mileage and give me more HP to boot.

So far to date my list of future mileage mods includes: Parrin pulley, drop in air filter, Greased Lightning Car Tech engine treatment (Flouropolymer additive which has a lower friction coefficient than anything else), Royal Purple driveline lubes, light weight wheels and the lowest rolling resistance tires I can find that maintain performance also.

Basically I'm searching for mods that do both... Add power and return better mileage results. So if you know of anything that can help accomplish this please pitch-in!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
the only things I can think of aside from driving habits, is carry as little as possible in the car, or start removing things like spare tire, back seat, carpets, etc. But this car isnt about good MPG............ guess it doesnt hurt to try though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1. The Cobb Access Port has a gas saver mode.

2. Engine swap, WRX for an RS. What to trade? ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
A throttle body spacer is supposed to help. I've heard it gives a couple horsepower and a couple extra MPG. I can't confirm any of this, but it is a relatively cheap upgrade. Might be a bit more difficult with a turbo than a N/A though...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed the AVO Panel Filter on my WRX and saw 30 MPG highway last week. In my previous cars, an intake and cat-back exhaust helped my mpg.

Probably the best way to save gas is to lay off the throttle and stay out of boost.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the AVO Panel Filter on my WRX and saw 30 MPG highway last week. In my previous cars, an intake and cat-back exhaust helped my mpg.

Probably the best way to save gas is to lay off the throttle and stay out of boost.
Really? What were you getting before the filter?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Really? What were you getting before the filter?
I believe I was hovering around 24-25 mpg highway before the filter. I rarely drive on the highway and drive mainly city so my highway mpg estimates before the filter may be off. City driving I was doing 18 mpg before the filter, and now it reads just over 19. I should also add that when I received the 30 mpg highway, I was driving through morning Los Angeles traffic on my way to Long Beach, speed roughly around 55 mph, with the AC off.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i have pushed 33mpg doing 60 drafting a truck but i realized i wanna live and only getting 25 mpg is better then slamming into a truck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have pushed 33mpg doing 60 drafting a truck but i realized i wanna live and only getting 25 mpg is better then slamming into a truck
;D It's not the truck I worry about, it's the tires that come flying off of them that worries me.

I would like to put on the SPT CAI because I don't like the look of any other CAI ATM. As for drop ins, STI's would be nice but it isn't out yet. I would like a dry filter element similar to the STI's on the previous gen. but can't find any yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
at 55mph cruise control 35.1mpg ac off stage2 rallitek map indivia tbe and avo inlet 93oct

·
Registered
223 Posts
1.) Get the junk out of the trunk. Less stuff means less weight, which means better fuel economy.
2.) Keep your tires properly inflated. Underinflated tires result in worse fuel economy.
3.) Replace your air filter if it's dirty. It's cheap and easy to do, and a dirty air filter can negatively affect fuel economy.
4.) Go easy on the A/C. Don't just run air conditioning all day long as it directly impacts engine performance and fuel economy. Use it when you need it, shut it off when you don't. Leaving the climate control on "Auto" is fine, but when you hit "A/C" that is when the engine takes a hit.

Spending money on mods to save money at the pump makes no sense to me. Mods that claim to increase fuel economy AND horsepower make no sense to me, either. Maybe I'm just crazy. ???

·
Registered
549 Posts
Spending money on mods to save money at the pump makes no sense to me. Mods that claim to increase fuel economy AND horsepower make no sense to me, either. Maybe I'm just crazy. ???
youre crazy!! more performance mods.. the faster you will get from point a to point b!! ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
LOL i forgot..

unless you're in L.A. ..or most parts of SoCal for that matter..

you will probably walk faster to point b then by traveling by car. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I noticed a pretty good increase in mileage when I started using Rallitek's Stage 1 93 octane with Cobb's AP (with a light foot, of course). I have no other mods...yet. I have a 10 mile commute to work in a suburb of Chicago, with about 10 to 12 stops on the way, and I get about 26 to 27 mpg with moderate driving (shifting at about 2500 to 3000 rpm). That's according to Cobb AP's average mpg feature.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Letting the REX breath in and out better will help the fuel economy. However, that is VERY difficult for most people, as the sound of the intake or the exhaust sounds oh-so-sweet when you drive a little harder ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a perrin drop in foam filter and a turbo back exhaust with an AP i get about 26 in town and on the highway in eco mode on the AP i can easily hit 30 if i use good driving habits.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts