Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the September 2008 edition of Motor Trend for this big article on gas but I found a nice Long-Term Test Update on the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX. Here is what they said:

"Had a good time driving the WRX this weekend," says senior editor Ed Loh. "Fast and tossable, the Rex seems invincible, feeling like a budget rally car right out of the box. There's a ton of suspension travel, and it's all very well damped - as though you're constantly riding in the sweet spot of the springs. Bumps literally get soaked up, and there is some body roll, too, but as you corner, this imparts the feeling the loaded wheels are getting max traction (again, like a rally car)." He adds, "it's geared to go fast. Shifts under full throttle like rapid-firing slingshots - the engine winds and thwacks you every time you clutch out." With the WRX parked back in the Motor Trend garage, Loh ponders, "I remember when the first WRX came out in 2002 - how much buzz there was that we finally got this world famous rally car. Now that it's been here a few years, and we've had several iterations of the STI, we've become jaded. Perhaps we've forgotten how capable and competent the WRX is."

* Months/miles in service: 8/14,385
* Avg econ/CO2: 21.5mpg/9.90 lb/mi
* Unresolved problems: None
* Maintenance cost: $111.48 (oil change/rotate tires/inspection)
* Normal-wear cost: $0

The End.

·
Registered
549 Posts
yep.. i had my car for bout 8 months now also.. at bout 13,500 miles.. and no problems at all

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
at least someone has a good thing to say about our cars!!.the car only needs suspension work to transform it completely.im getting 24.9 mpg average!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Finally some one figured it out!
8 months /14,600mi / 21.9mpg & ;D ;D all the way

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
With the WRX parked back in the Motor Trend garage, Loh ponders, "I remember when the first WRX came out in 2002 - how much buzz there was that we finally got this world famous rally car. Now that it's been here a few years, and we've had several iterations of the STI, we've become jaded. Perhaps we've forgotten how capable and competent the WRX is."
I agree 100% w/ this statement. Impreza turbos have only been in this country for about 7 years. A lot of ppl have forgotten the old Subaru days where all the cars were associated w/ the Australian outback and the Impreza 2.5RS wasnt even close to the performance of sporty cars of it's time. Now that we have a turbo Impreza, ppl are complaining. sheesh........

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
9 month
13 100 KM

·
Registered
382 Posts
8 months - 6001 miles (I bike to work)

Only problem I've had thus far is a finishing piece is broken do to some warranty work I had done right after delivery. (car came with a scratched window)

Oh, I also had it refuse to start a few times when it was really really cold, still not sure what is going on there just yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
8 Months
10,000KM (6,213 miles)
0 problems
27mpg on my last few tanks

although in really cold winter i've done as bad as 19mpg because having to let the car warm up before driving and letting the turbo cool down before shutting off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea why people are posting their own specs as far as odometer readings, repair costs, fuel economy to date, etc. I just want to make it clear that my original post containing that data at the end is for the Motor Trend test car and has nothing to do with my car.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have no idea why people are posting their own specs as far as odometer readings, repair costs, fuel economy to date, etc. I just want to make it clear that my original post containing that data at the end is for the Motor Trend test car and has nothing to do with my car.
I am wondering the same exact thing......... maybe they think you work for Motor Trend, and youre Mr. Loh

·
Registered
80 Posts
I kept coming in here thinking I was going to read some impressions on the clip, but I kept seeing these random numbers and gas mileage figures.

On topic, I think the author's emotional cycle echoes my own process with the Rex. I was able to secure an exclusive test drive here in Sac as one of my buddies is an "auto journalist" (quotes because that's not really his profession, but side-jobs as one), and I was a bit let down. However, after thinking of my criticism, taking a second test drive, and driving the competition, I came to the same conclusion as the author. This car far and away trumped the previous version in so many tangible ways but failed the nostalgia colored glasses test. Meaning, the past versions came with so much pomp and circumstance and hype that a new model could never generate.

On it's own merit, it is a fantastic ride in so many ways. The industry had no business giving the WRX such flak. Now, we've seem someone finally come to realize the flaws were not the car's, but rather their own.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just treated this thread as another "check in" thread by sharing my long term stats, wasn't trying to derail from MT's impressions...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am wondering the same exact thing......... maybe they think you work for Motor Trend, and youre Mr. Loh
Negative. I was just posting the whole article/section which included those specs. They always give those specifications like repairs to date, fuel economy to date, etc. etc. Besides, their WRX is red...not my style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts