Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had issues with their muffler (OEM or aftermarket) melting the paint from the rounded exhaust area in the bumper?

mine is the same length as the OEM (all I did was a muffler delete) yet it seems to be making the paint roll down and melt off...

maybe no muffler = higher heat?

I was thinking of cleaning up the mess, maybe touching it up, OR applying some sort of 3m-ish protective film... though that might not be enough for HEAT...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mine melted. :( It must be because of the muffler delete since were the only 2 that did it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must be that or backfiring maybe? the lack of a muffler probably lets a lot more hot air fly backwards...

maybe we need some heat shields:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i was thinking of fabing something like that .

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
you can do heat shield like that or use a differnt kind of tip on your straight pipe or extend your pipe a bit and coat it with header heat stuff ( cant think of the name)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since it's hard to see...

for now I'll just bend a piece of aluminum and stick it to the bumper with a few pop rivets

I'm not worried about it melting where you can't see, I just don't want the WHOLE THING melting

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I feel dumb...

I went out and bought some aluminum to fab up a heat shield... once I got under the car I noticed it was all dirt and a big scratch from when I backed into something and the exhaust moved up against the bumper...

so basically it isn't melting anything and I'm fine.

but a heat shield would look cool and be a good just-in-case measure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i haven't got that from this car. But my previous ride the body kit melted around the tail pipe after a few laps on the track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts