Subaru WRX Forums banner

521 - 540 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
you were so lucky to get that set in SWP just in the same time i was fulfilling your order. and it looked mint when it arrived, it was meant to be yours! looks awesome and the red STI jdm button has me missing my car so bad. you have got to be so antsy right now with all these projects so close to wrapping up - awesome job!
I am ecstatic but realizing I have a ton left to do to finish it all up. The mirror covers look brand new, I figured I was going to have to have them painted with the hood, trunk and roof vent. Even though the roof vent needs to be painted to match the SWP, I'm thinking about cutting the roof and installing it for the time being so I can trim the headliner and have it wrapped so I can start swapping all the panels out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your mirrors have me so jealous! I'm going to have to give in and buy some of the power folding assemblies and caps/indicators one of these days, but there are so many things I want to do it's hard to prioritize. Your car looks great :)

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I am ecstatic but realizing I have a ton left to do to finish it all up. The mirror covers look brand new, I figured I was going to have to have them painted with the hood, trunk and roof vent. Even though the roof vent needs to be painted to match the SWP, I'm thinking about cutting the roof and installing it for the time being so I can trim the headliner and have it wrapped so I can start swapping all the panels out.
that sounds like a good idea! popping it off an on is pretty easy as it is hinged and would be simple to swap back on. you guys have so much nice weather that way, i'm sure you wouldn't miss it anyway, haha.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
Your mirrors have me so jealous! I'm going to have to give in and buy some of the power folding assemblies and caps/indicators one of these days, but there are so many things I want to do it's hard to prioritize. Your car looks great :)
Thank you sir, I don't even have them hooked up completely but they are still amazing to look at.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
that sounds like a good idea! popping it off an on is pretty easy as it is hinged and would be simple to swap back on. you guys have so much nice weather that way, i'm sure you wouldn't miss it anyway, haha.
I will have to give it a go then, although it has been raining off/on the last few days....not sure what thats about.
Are there any aftermarket turn signals for the mirrors? Just wondering in case I get bored with the stockers.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I will have to give it a go then, although it has been raining off/on the last few days....not sure what thats about.
Are there any aftermarket turn signals for the mirrors? Just wondering in case I get bored with the stockers.
yeah there's some sweet ones I have on mine by K2GEAR. offer much better visibility, an extended lit LED tube, forward and rear facing LEDs, and a clear or smoked housing. check it out in my build thread or japanparts. if serious I can import them for you and should definitely be able to beat japanparts pricing.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
yeah there's some sweet ones I have on mine by K2GEAR. offer much better visibility, an extended lit LED tube, forward and rear facing LEDs, and a clear or smoked housing. check it out in my build thread or japanparts. if serious I can import them for you and should definitely be able to beat japanparts pricing.
Are there other lights on the market? I'll have to take a look at the K2's, can't remember what they look like.

Advanced Key's smart system + push start system, Prosport carbon fiber hood struts & Killer B Motorsports oil fil relocation tube are all on the way. Once everything is swapped over....its motor build time :blank:

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
yeah but not nearly as nice. you'd be downgrading in quality from OEM otherwise. although, i think blitz might make something. haven't looked through the jdm accessories catalog in a long while.

on the killerb relocation tube. are you going to use the previous MY tube on your car or did chris hook you up with something i don't know that is in the loop yet, perhaps custom?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
tsk, tsk and here i thought me and chris were BFFs. thanks for the link, sir.
You're too busy scouring the interweb's for jdm parts, I just spend my time (lately) trying to find things to throw money at lol

Can you send me the details to your powdercoat guy? Do you know what he charges for Brembos? I've got a wild hair for some reason and figure if the cars at paint, the brakes wont need to be used. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
You're too busy scouring the interweb's for jdm parts, I just spend my time (lately) trying to find things to throw money at lol

Can you send me the details to your powdercoat guy? Do you know what he charges for Brembos? I've got a wild hair for some reason and figure if the cars at paint, the brakes wont need to be used. Thanks in advance!
yes, i can. he's an amazing guy and an incredible value. the last four people on here to get their brembos done were by him and all will sing his praises. i'll let you be pleasantly surprised and you can ask for a quote directly. please tell him marcos sent you and he'll hook it up. pm incoming!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
Thanks for the info sir, ill send him an email later today.

Roof vent is on!

Also dropped off the headliner at the upholstery shop, should be finished up monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
It definitely moves some air :laugh:
Here are a few more shots of the install; the install on the GR is super easy...the worst part is actually drilling and cutting the roof. The older gen you had to remove the map light bracket. The 08+ bolts right up to the map light bracket (see silver screws below). Once I get the interior back together next week, the car will be off to paint so they can color match the hood, trunk and roof vent. I'm thinking of picking up a new front bumper as mine is kind of hammered...

Scribed the opening with a red sharpie, we drilled through the roof in 4 places so we could locate the template we made with the interior trim piece.

Holes up through the roof

Installed

Found these new headlight harnesses. The day they showed up, the turn signals started working again....apparently the wiring doesn't want to be swapped out. The mirror switch I purchased with the harness arrived too so I can finish installing the wiring for the power mirrors.

Turbosmart bpv, AEM oil pressure gauge and Prosport galley plug

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
Headliner was finished yesterday so I brought it home to install. I need to order a few more clips as you can see but right now its being held up with the front visors, a few random clips and the light. I have to take it apart once the car goes to paint so I havent replaced all the panels yet. I ended up having the headliner done in "actual" headliner material which has a foam backing instead of just having the material glued down. I didnt use a flash as it makes the material look grey so hopefully these come out.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
You're the 2nd person I've seen that installed this. I'm sure this is dumb question but, if you track your car or lets say do "spirited" highway driving, are you worried about air catching under it or is possibly ripping off or leaking water?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
The roof vent seals very well and almost snaps close when you shut it. There is a rubber gasket that surrounds the opening that seals to the lid and there is a foam gasket that is around the lid that seals to the roof. I havent had the car in a hurricane yet nor do I plan to but there is no sign of leaks. I think the windows make more noise than the roof vent, I dont see you having any issues at speed or on the track.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
You're the 2nd person I've seen that installed this. I'm sure this is dumb question but, if you track your car or lets say do "spirited" highway driving, are you worried about air catching under it or is possibly ripping off or leaking water?
The roof vent seals very well and almost snaps close when you shut it. There is a rubber gasket that surrounds the opening that seals to the lid and there is a foam gasket that is around the lid that seals to the roof. I havent had the car in a hurricane yet nor do I plan to but there is no sign of leaks. I think the windows make more noise than the roof vent, I dont see you having any issues at speed or on the track.
you got your info exactly right, jason. it's a very well designed and engineered piece. this isn't some aftermarket part. this is an OEM JDM part. for what it's worth, i've had mine opened up to speed of about 145mph without issue on the track. now, you do not want to open at those speeds. the warning label in japanese states not to open at speeds above 55mph if i remember correctly but i'd only do so at a stop or 10mph as to avoid catching my finger or skin on the hinge. as for the rain, the weather seal is very nice and no reported issues unless installed upside down.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #540
you got your info exactly right, jason. it's a very well designed and engineered piece. this isn't some aftermarket part. this is an OEM JDM part. for what it's worth, i've had mine opened up to speed of about 145mph without issue on the track. now, you do not want to open at those speeds. the warning label in japanese states not to open at speeds above 55mph if i remember correctly but i'd only do so at a stop or 10mph as to avoid catching my finger or skin on the hinge. as for the rain, the weather seal is very nice and no reported issues unless installed upside down.
145....track, is that the local expressway? We've got a few of those around :lipsrsealed:
I've been shutting mine if I go over 55; figured that's what it said lol. Guess I'll have to test it out now.

521 - 540 of 574 Posts