Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

So i got my new STi in September (UK) when the new Reg came out.. so it's brand new on the 58 plate... Was running fine for a month, even installed an aftermarket dump valve..

Started getting problems with the car as in low boost pressure (or so it seemed) and i took the car into Subaru who tested it, remaped it then blamed it on the dumpvalve - charged me £81.00 labour fees and sent me away with a car which seemed to be fixed with the std dump valve back on.

2 days later, started running rough again.. hardly any power in the engine when you put your foot on the pedal and the engine slow revved.. Rang up Subaru again not happy with the situation and got told it would probably be a sensor problem or the throttle as its no longer how they used to do the Impreza throttle or something.. Not a cable anymore??

Today they picked the car up from me at work, told me the Subaru area manager guy was coming over to the dealership and he wanted to drive my car to help them sort the problem out.. fair enough i thought at least i'll get to find out whats wrong with it.. 5 hours later and numours text messages from the car tracker they rang me up.

"We have some bad news for you sir... we have done a compression test on the engine and cylinder number 4 has failed, this could mean either the piston has cracked or the cylinder itself has cracked - this will be what is telling the ECU to not give the car any power and you won't get your card back till January now"

Car has only done 3.2k on the clock and i dont abuse it really.. just he odd wellie when the moment takes you so i really don't understand how this could be my fault ?? It's got to be a faulty batch or parts somewhere down the line ? So i'm sat here waiting for Subaru Assistance to ring me back as they intend on putting me in a 1.6 car until mine has been fixed.

How much of a big job is it to replace the piston in the new Impreza and do you think i'll get my car back and all will be well ??? Answers on a post card :( - Begining to wonder why i didnt buy either the S3 or the new Evo now... really pissed off with this car :mad:

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing that info... Exactly the same fault as mine and mine got this new remap after the problem started around 2.8k - 3k it went in for the run in oil to be changed and its on 3.2k now and it dead :(

Hope they sort this out quickly.. im now without my car till January :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds like you received the new map too late and the damage was already done. I have heard of them replacing the whole motor, which is sometimes easier and quicker. Agree with your thoughts, it's not as if the motor was a new design - how could they have stuffed up the original map (what testing did they do)? I'm told it is the first time that Subaru have had to released a engine map update!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yeah you got the map too late. Especially during break-in (and you drove it even a little hard would have caused big damage) and you get into the higher rpms the fuel cuts before boost does making for a very dangerous situation. The aftermarket blow-off valve if it was atmospheric might also have caused this mishap causing extreme rich and lean conditions in combination with the bad tune. I would have taken the BOV off before sending to dealership.

Stateside I personally know of 2 people who had cylinder 4 die but both had the cars stock and drove it "spiritedly" prior to full break-in. However, since their cars were stock, both STis received completely new short blocks with the new tune. Free of charge and no questions asked.

I hope they still warranty your vehicle since the BOV is now on record *crosses fingers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies guys... I'm still without my car (34 Days and counting), the dealership still has it and the engine is currently out, stripped and awaiting the parts from Japan.

On a plus side, the warranty has been approved on it - The same dealership where mine is also has another STI same reg and from the same batch with the same problem as mine so they are waiting on 2 new Pistons (any maybe other parts) to come from the factory now.

I'm told i should get it back this week but i really really can't see that... I will be ringing them yet again tomorow to find out an update.

Starting to get on my tits now this :( - I just want my car back

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys... I'm still without my car (34 Days and counting), the dealership still has it and the engine is currently out, stripped and awaiting the parts from Japan.

On a plus side, the warranty has been approved on it - The same dealership where mine is also has another STI same reg and from the same batch with the same problem as mine so they are waiting on 2 new Pistons (any maybe other parts) to come from the factory now.

I'm told i should get it back this week but i really really can't see that... I will be ringing them yet again tomorow to find out an update.

Starting to get on my tits now this :( - I just want my car back

That does that disturbing comment mean?
Hope everything works out for you though :)

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Doesn't it mean something along the line of upset,

A similar term would be "He's really starting to get on my nerves" or "This is really starting to piss me off"

* "Starting to get on my tits" would be the interchangeable expression...

Please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just been told the engine is going back in mine tomorow so should have it back by weekend... yay at last!

A similar term would be "He's really starting to get on my nerves" or "This is really starting to piss me off"

* "Starting to get on my tits" would be the interchangeable expression...
Correct.. "Starting to get pissed off" - Uk term ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I've got most of the lingo but I never did pick up an accent haha...

Congrats mate,

Glad it will be back in your hands...

·
Registered
821 Posts
that is cool it is under warranty! did they give you a rental during this whole mess?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts