Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So im backing up yesterday and you know those stupid yellow cement poles that stick out of the ground to protect the building? Well the whoever decided to install those put 1 set in front of the building and then an additional set in front of that set. A million people must back up into them cause the 2nd set were all bent down towards the ground. So on with the story. Im backing up out of the spot i was in and the poles are so damn close to the spots as it is which makes it a PITA to back up safely. I back up and go into one of the effin poles and here a not so nice noise. I get out of the car and come to see a little bit of the rear ground effect has come off and I have multiple paint chips as well as yellow paint now on my car. I honestly have the WORST luck in the world. I went to subaru today and got some touch up paint and rubbed out the yellow marks. So heres a before an after pic of it. I didnt wanna bring it to a body shop cause theyd have to paint the entire rear bumper again and that would be a nutt price so i just did this instead. Let me know how horrible it looks... :'(

Before

After

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If i were you, id sand the touch-up paint with super fine paper to help smooth it out. Then spary a little clear on it just to hide the flatness of the paint. Just my .02

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sand paper wont take the touch up paint off? and what grit sand paper do i use? then just spray a clear coat on to it?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Your not going to go full force on it, otherwise you would remove the touch up and factory paint, and thats bad ahah. with a very lightly use no less than 300 paper. For the clear, use a high quilty spray, do multiple coats or it could drip or run. Take your time and it should work out fine.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMFAO I think you just got the 1st actual laugh outta me since this crap happend. Quick question. Do I spray just the part i touched up or the entire bumper. I know its prob a dumb question but just was curious lol.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Just do the part you sanded and touched up. Again take your time with the clear and make sure you clean all of the dust and dirt off before you use the clear.

Im glad i could make you laugh, i have a poster for almost everything haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
dude get your bumper fixed at a shop... if you try to just spot spray the clear you gonna be able to see it, i do auto body, take it to a shop before you make fixing it right any harder...besides if you try to wet-sand the touchup paint down and dont know what your doind you will probally take the clear and base coat off in the surounding areas...

·
Registered
629 Posts
MF!! Sorry to hear that.....poor baby!!! Hope you can get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dude that sucks!! Its ALWAYS something.. :'(

Heres my 2 cents- If your not to sure about how to touch it up take it to the shop. Other wise wet sand the touch up paint ( very lightly) then tape off the area your going to spray. ( apply light coats, don't rush it). After it drys hit it up with a cleaner wax then buff it out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Wet sand paper is Black very fine grit sand paper and usualy found in the body repair section( where the paint, filler,ect) at your local auto store . Wet the sand paper and lightly go over the area your sanding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on taking it to a shop. Its a brand new car and unless you know what your doing its probably going to look like crap anyways. Plus those cheap paints dont really hold up all that well. But if your are going to paint it on your own, let me know and i could give you a better description of how to do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Too bad about your accident. I've hit my front spoiler on parking curbs twice. Twice! What an idiot! Anyway, the only one who will really notice is you. People see your total ride and they don't look for little spots. How many times have you seen a real race car that looks totally cool until you really look at it and you see all kinds of mess with the body work. My 2 cents is fix it up as best you can, you aren't going to make it perfect and then forget about it. When you get some extra dough and you don't need an up pipe get it fixed. I mean who's to say some one isn't going to hit it in the parking lot tomorrow.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah zoid your rite. Thats what Im doin. Just doing it as best as I can. Almost done, Just finished applyig the clear coat. Gotta do like 2 more then wax it with the color restore and then wax the whole rear bumper. Id rather spend the money on something I really need! And your also rite about Im the only one who will notice it really till I actually point it out to someone or they look really really closely. At least it's towards to bottom and on the rear. Ill have a pic of afterwards up on here soon.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
+1 Zoid ! my thoughts exact!! Good luck 08rexx! +'s ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I just finished as attempting to do this myself... Idk how well it came out. I actually think it came out crappy but oh well what matters is that I gave it a shot and I tried. Its not horribly noticeable. You guys be the judge and lemme know.... Did all the steps as well with went sanding - Sprayed clear coats - Waxed with color enhancer - Waxed with reg wax.

Taped off ready to be sprayed

After sprayed and waxed... You can still make out touched up area but oh well...

From far away.. Not as bad

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
looks pretty good for your first shot out the door

·
Registered
42 Posts
At least its not raw plastic anymore. If your happy then just go with it, most people will never even notice it anyways. I'd be careful about putting wax on fresh paint though. Automotive paint usually takes a couple weeks to fully cure. All that wax is going to do is stop the solvents from being released.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts