Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really feel like I'm at a crossroads. I just received my replacement struts from SGP but I'm not sure what I want to do. I could toss them on myself and risk screwing myself out of another $200 if they fail for some strange reason, I can pay a dealership to do it (the one I called wanted $330 for just the 2 rears, money of which I don't have right now) or I can just give up and put the stock springs back on.

Has anyone here done a clean install (including bleeding out any air that may be in the strut) themselves and still had their rears leak? Does anyone know what a reasonable offer for a dealership to do just the rears should be?

I just feel so f'ing lost and pissed right now. Help me Obi-Wan ke3Gr's. You're my only hope...

·
Registered
61 Posts
See if you can buy the tool and do it yourself. Make sure you check for air.

I rally wouldn't think you would have any issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll make my own makeshift socket but in the end it'll work just the same. Which post had the instructions for bleeding out air?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just finished putting my Pinks on and what I did was loosen that 17MM nut with a 't' handle 6mm allen key and a 17mm socket & used a pair of channelocks on the socket to turn it.
I initially cracked the nut when the strut was still in the car, made it easier to back it off the rest of the way once I had it out.

As for the checking & purging of air; (straight from the 08 service manual)

Checking for presence of air
(1) Place the strut vertically with the piston rod
facing up.
(2) Move the piston rod to the center of its entire
stroke.
(3) While holding the piston rod end with fingers,
move the rod up and down.
(4) If the piston rod moves 10 mm (0.39 in) or
more in the former step, purge air from the strut.

Air purging procedure
(1) Place the strut vertically with the piston rod
facing up.
(2) Fully extend the piston rod.
(3) With the piston rod fully extended, place the
piston rod side down. The strut must stand vertically.
(4) Fully retract the piston rod.
(5) Repeat 3 or 4 times from the step (1).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thank you :)

I probably won't have time to do it this weekend but definitely next weekend.

·
Registered
954 Posts
you bought factory replacement struts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes.

·
Registered
954 Posts
eek. what makes you think they arent going to leak in 10,000mi like the ones you got? i know for a fact that there was faulty install with mine, but yet all four of them are seeping

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really wish someone made a better strut for our cars. I want to have some Pinks installed, but am so worried that this might happen. Let us all know what route you take and how it holds up.

Personally, I am probably going to wait until I can afford some coilovers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eek. what makes you think they arent going to leak in 10,000mi like the ones you got? i know for a fact that there was faulty install with mine, but yet all four of them are seeping
I'd be perfectly fine if they started to leak in 10,000 miles. It's when they start leaking in 10 that I have a problem. Besides, nobody offers an aftermarket strut at this time and I'm not going to shell out $700 for coilovers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts