Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

[hr]

Hello everyone. I have been a member here for a while, but have not posted up my beautiful Suby.

[hr]

[hr]

I won't bore you with a bunch of stock pictures, but I will tell you what I've done and my plans.

First mod was the AVIC-D3x. It is amazing how much better the stock speakers (which seem to be of a very good quality) sound now with the Pioneer pushing them. The stock HU is pretty much crap. In the pictures, you can see my custom-mounted bluetooth microphone to the left of the silver trim.

[hr]

The next mod was the STI Grille which I found on eBay for quite a bit less than what they wanted from SGP. As soon as I get some pics of the grille on the car I will post them up.

[hr]

Here's my newest acquisition:

Thanks to rexx for the good deal. He had painted it black with dei high temp paint. So, I stripped it back down to the bare metal. Now I have to decide whether to paint it again or polish it to a shine.

[hr]

EDIT: Added one shot of the grille at the top.

[hr]

Future Plans...

STI Spoiler
H&R Springs (arrived today, need to install)
Cobb AP
Tint
TurboXS TBE
UR CAI (Purchased, not yet arrived)
UR FMIC
AVO 380
AVO Turbo Inlet Tube
BPV
Tune
Rota P1 18x8 with Falken RT-615 235/40R18s.

I think that is the end of my list for now. I am still researching the various suspension upgrades, so those will definitely be added sometime.

If you have any thoughts on my plans for the car or what I have already done, let me know. I am open to suggestions.

Later.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: My SWP Hatch (STI Grille, AVIC-D3, more to come)...

Lookin good! I love that HU. Definitely on my near future list of upgrades...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: My SWP Hatch (STI Grille, AVIC-D3, more to come)...

Nid a set of upgrades brake kits too.. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: My SWP Hatch (UR CAI, STI Grille, AVIC-D3, more to come)...

Here's the UR CAI after some work with the wire wheel and wet sanding with 150 and 320 grit, I decided to re-paint it satin black with high temp paint. Here's how it turned out:

Now, I just have to install it...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Installed it in about 30 minutes using clamsjager's how-to. Will have pictures and impressions up later.

Oh, and I ended up having to paint the top of the MAF housing that is bare above. The MAF sensor seals with an o-ring inside the housing, not on the top. That is what I get for not looking how it went together before painting.

·
Registered
629 Posts

Good job!! :) like what you've done and what you plan on doing. You'll love that TurboXS TBE!! I do!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Good job!! :) like what you've done and what you plan on doing. You'll love that TurboXS TBE!! I do!!
It was your thread on the TurboXS TBE that convinced me that was the one for me. The Cobb AP and the TBE are next on the mod list. I hope to have both by the end of September. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts

Very nice!! Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
220 Posts

I love the STi grille on the SWP!!! NICE!

·
Registered
41 Posts

keep us posted! pics of the grill installed and the drop

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here's the deal on the UR CAI; It doesn't come with any kind of bracket to stabilize it. With it just hanging there, I was afraid the vibration could have a negative effect on the turbo inlet tube. So, for a temporary solution, I headed off to Lowe's and picked up a metal pipe hanger and used it to make a bracket to hold the CAI in place.

Next issue, without a heat shield, the air around the filter gets pretty hot. And I would think it becomes more of a hot-air intake. So, for a permanent solution to both problems, I am going to fabricate a box out of sheet metal that will accept the OEM air intake ducting. I will post up a how-to when I get it finished.

As for the performance of the intake, I noticed a pretty significant difference in throttle response and smooth acceleration. My car has always had some hesitation in 1st and 2nd through the low RPM range. I chalked this up to the factory tune being way too conservative and choppy. Well, since the intake was installed all that has disappeared. Plus, you get the benefit of hearing the turbo spool, if you like that kind of thing (which I do ;)).

Thanks.

keep us posted! pics of the grill installed and the drop
Hopefully, I can get the springs installed this weekend. I will be taking before and after pics to show the difference.

Indeed, STI grill Pimp on SWP :p Hawt ride!
Right on. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
646 Posts

looks great...ill bet the intake looks really good being black in the engine bay...i loved how it looked in mine...and the sti grill is perfect..i want one so baddd

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Alright, I worked on mocking-up a box for the intake. It took some time and a lot of cutting and taping. Next, I have to see if I can do it in sheet metal. Here's what I came up with:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

100 degree weather sux doesn't it?
I would also try the heat shield design that AEM or Injen has. Saves room and lets you use the stock snorkel for the sleeper look it looks like you are trying to achieve.

Looks good though and I applaud your DIY attitude. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Life's been a little busy this last week (just closed today on the construction loan for my new house), so I haven't had time to work the sheet metal yet. I am hoping I will get a chance this week.

I did, however, find the time over the weekend to install my AP and order a TurboXS turbo-back exhaust from HPTMotorsports ;D. They gave me a great deal, and it should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Box looks good. Should help you get a couple more horses out of the intake hopefully.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts