Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i own a 08 wrx with about $2500 in mods suspension and engine work. I walked in to the dealership with intension of test driving the dealerships new STI. I got the keys and got in and started to see how it performed. Be it i was in town but i felt as though the extra gear was hurting me in terms of horse power and torque the first three gears really don't even give you time to let the turbo run through the spool. I felt as though if i were in a pure rally setting and needed that extra gear to keep the RPMs up it would have been nice but even auto crossing with the new torque curve on the wrx i would rather run my wrx. As far as suspension on my own WRX i have the springs and front and rear sways with after market rubber, I thought the handling was a little sloppy on the STI I drive an 05 STI quite often and that car handles on rails the 08 didn't impress me much. As far as stying yes the wider base is nice and that wide body adds a little more sporty view into the lacking 08 model but for 10-15 thousand dollars more i really believe the STI has finally over priced its own market. I write this in hope to testify my belief that the plain Jane 08 WRX is the true ultimate tuning platform instead of the STI in the sports compact car market.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Say as you wish to justify your purchase/decision. I on the other hand can testify in th opposite direction. I traded an 06 STi for my current 08 and I could't be happier. The ride is smoother, handling more predictable, etc. The only thing missing is the slight 'whoosh' from the BOV on the 06 that's missing in the 08. Track results show that the 08 (while less of the 'on rails' feel) is faster due to suspension changes.

Granted, for those that wish to "personalize" their car after purchase, they should buy less and "build to suit", but if you're an 'old fart' like me, pay the manufacturer to do the work and simply enjoy the results. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
as the 'WRX or STI' topic says it depends on the tastes and needs of everyones maybe a ride too smooth for one it stiff as hell for someone else ;D. this being said Alfred thats a real nice post you made there I should have done the same when I test drove the STI anywayz thanks for sharing ;D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i did not test drive the STI but IMO if u have extra 20G to spend on a car buy the sti but if u dont have extra 20G on a car buy the wrx u can put about 7G into it and have it runing 400HP with rly nice suspention work and that will be more then most ppl because when ppl buy a car and think thel make it rly fast most of the time they dont rly mod it cuz it rly is expensive work like i dont have the money right now but i did DIY work to make my car stand out a bit

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong i like the STI and i think for a person who is not knowledgeable in tuning the STI is a great car but the price subaru set on it is just a bit stiff IMO and there was a little too much focus on luxury in the STI then there was power and handling increase of a raw rally car like they were in the past generations.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I do agree about the STI being to much luxurious and not enough rally beats, I was talking about that lately with my subaru dealer and he said he heard in a Dealer convention that subaru intended the car for an older market and reach in the acura RL and Lexus market, wich IMO ain't such a bad Idea we'll see what the future as in store for that car, DAMN is the STI good looking ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I still need to drive one of these. Drove the new Evo a couple weeks ago and found it much more livable than the old one, without too large a sacrifice in subjective handling.

I do like the look of the base rims on the STI. But aftermarket can fix that on the WRX.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I do agree about the STI being to much luxurious and not enough rally beats, I was talking about that lately with my subaru dealer and he said he heard in a Dealer convention that subaru intended the car for an older market and reach in the acura RL and Lexus market, wich IMO ain't such a bad Idea we'll see what the future as in store for that car, DAMN is the STI good looking ;)
Because we all know that people shopping for RL's and Lexus cars are going to be cross shopping sti's... It's obvious that that was never the intention. Take a look at how the new STi is being marketed and it will be painfully obvious, as it if weren't already. Still, I hardly consider the STi luxurious, and the pricing is all but ridiculous considering what the car actually is.
;)first of all why not, then again explain to me what is the actual maketing plan for the sti my friend you seem well informed :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I truly believe that the marketing field for the STI was not planned too well by Subaru almost $40k for an all wheel drive subaru impreza which in the past ment almost nothing luxury but seats and wheels. They needed to market it different for the lexus and acura crowd but i am no market person so what do i know anyways.

·
Registered
345 Posts
subaru did want to market this vehicle for the older crowd its more family oriented with more space in it. Navigation now an option which is a luxury feature. The car is still unique just like any other sti. I work at a suby dealership which i said before and i have alot of older guys coming in to look at the sti's not so much of a younger crowd as it used to be. And they all say its because its got power and the space they need. Guys come in with m3's s4's and all those types of cars to check these out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts