Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is my baby. I love her to pieces! I'll post pics of upgrades/mods that are eventually done to it.

Plans are :

Turbo Back TCP Exhaust
Remap ECU
Some sort of awesome gear knob
Brembo Pads
Install AEM Digital Boost gauge
08+ STi (BBS) Rims
Lower the thing

Sorry for the crappy photos, they are from my iPhone. I'll take some with my SLR once the boost gauge is in and it's clean!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Aaron,

Looks good mate, thats a hefty list of mods. looks like you'll have a pretty nice ride that is well balanced in mods. lol at lowering the thing.. you going to do springs? And cant go wrong with the STI rims. They will look good. Subscribed!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much as of yet, recently bought a COBB CAI off another member here, I have an xForce catback, plans within the next 3 months are a tune, turbo back and installation of the CAI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys

She has been my pride and joy for the last 18 months. I thought I would post a new "Build journal". Since I last updated I had my baby reversed into (See pic below) which did about $6XXX worth of damage, as I had to get the bonnet, front quarter panel, front panel and lights, etc replaced. Thankfully there was no engine damage.

I have also taken some better photos still from the iPhone, currently it is pretty much stock but I am in love with the car so I thought I would share my passion for it.

So far the only things installed is the Xforce cat-back. I also bought a COBB CAI off another member from the forums which is still in the box waiting to get installed. It will be going to MSR, hopefully late October for the dumpipe with racing cat, installation of the CAI and then the tune. Mick is confident I can hit ~210kwatw safely with the VF52.

Other things I would like to get installed soon is Swaybars (24F/22R) or vice versa, depends if I want to make it over-steer a bit more. I'm also thinking about getting it lowered just a little bit, nothing too low because it will just become impractical for every day use, once the brakes and clutch goes I'll obviously upgrade those too. If I can get some advice from other G3 owners with suspension and braking that would be brilliant.

Inside the cabin I am looking at installing an Alpine Double din head deck (The ones were you can still control the system from the wheel), SPT Boost gauge, as I want it to look as OEM as possible, and eventually upgrade the speakers and stick a sub in the back. Nothing with too much bass but enough to enjoy the music cruising around.

The last thing I am thinking of installing is a short shift kit, are they worth it? I'd love to buy the STi 6-speed but I can't justify the price for it. Anyway, enjoy some pics and stay tuned. I will definatly keep the forums posted once it's back from MSR. Feel free to provide any feedback you have!

Aaron

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry to hear of the damage Aaron, glad it's all back together. I have a "cheap" Ultrex short shift. Love it to bits, had absolutely no probs with it. It's been installed for 18 months or more and I couldn't go back to the stock shift. Make sure you get a new shift bush or bushes, that's what really makes the diff!! Enlighten me on the Alpine double din deck if you could please?

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Evening, Chris!

Thanks for your comments, so they really do make a difference? How much was it installed? What's a good brand? That would come with the bushes, etc.

Regarding the head deck, here is an example from the Alpine website - http://alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=278

Not the exact one I was looking at but you can see it has the wheel control ready option, from what I am aware of the G3 Impreza's are supported with that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Aaron.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Aaron,

Alpine unit looks nice. I like my wheel controls so I've not pursued an aftermarket stereo system, and for the past three years I have been happy to listen to my exhaust warbling but now I'd like a bit more power... ;D Sub would be good too but I don't really want to shake the crap out of my panels or attract the cops, just a nice "feel".

The short shift from Ultrex was easy DIY. Would have done the bushes myself but it's not real easy without a hoist as the old one takes a bit of getting out in a confined space. Mate did mine on a hoist for a minimal cost. Could take some time on jacks but 10 or 15 minutes on a hoist so not a lot of labour cost. The Ultrex shifter was about $95 when I got mine and the main bush About $50. I didn't do the other bushes and quite frankly don't think you need to but that will be up to you. They go up in price for "better" ones. One of the first things I did and near three years on and I have not had one problem and still love it to death.

I daresay you will be told there are better out there but make up your own mind. Don't forget they are your dollars! ;) You don't need top of the line for everything!

ATB
Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey mate,

I think I would get a professional to install it. Might get Mick to put one in while the car is with him haha. Have you got any suggestions for clutches and and brakes? I have been told it's a good idea (When mine goes) to get like the OEM replacement so for example I'll get an Excedy OEM replacement?

I am the same Chris, I have had the whole "doof doof" phase in my old Falcon, sounded like ass with the panels shaking so I'm just gonna get something nice to drive around with.

I NEED MONEY!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dunno about the clutch, mine is still working... ;) Excedy should be good. Brakes; I went with DBA rotors, Endless street pads and braided lines. Works extremely well for hard road use. Endless pads are really nice, don't get any fade.

I NEED MONEY TOO!!! ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much did your brake kit set you back? I'm a total noob with it all haha, just want to get a rough idea on what I'm expecting

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry mate, too long ago for exact figures. Rotors (DBA 4000's), Endless pads, and Endless fluid came to about $1300. HEL lines were a group buy on here were about $150. Labour on top of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi gang, so I have decided to keep the car. It now has a little tune, in addition to that I have installed the Cobb intake and I love the sound it makes, feels more like a turbo now! I still plan on a few things like a dump-pipe, injectors, and fuel pump. Then eventually it's going to MSR Engineering for an E85 tune, so hoping around the 250kw atw mark, maybe a few other goodies as well.

I'm not sure if anyone would know but I found these wheels at the Bathurst 12 hour on a few fat betty's and the new Forester, and I really want a set, does anyone know if they are an OEM Subaru wheel?

Link is here - http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2552/photolls.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts