Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got the N/A impreza base model, the one with steel wheels and rear drum. It seem to take longer to perform a complete stop when the brake pedal is suppress, can it be because of the rear drums that I'm not used to or the weight of the steel wheels. I had a mazda6 that brake pretty good compare to my impreza. Also, will changing to 20 lbs 17" alloy wheels make braking easier.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Changing out the brakes to disc would make the largest difference, also getting some stickier tires would help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think changing to disc would cost too much, how about changing the steels to light alloy wheels, would that help?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Changing to heavier wheels will INCREASE your braking distance. Heavier wheels=more rotating mass for your brakes to attempt to slow down. In most cases, steel wheels (the thin, black-type with hubcabs) are lighter than alloys.

Solid steel wheels are probably heavier than alloys though.

Does the 2.5i (non-premium) come with the light steelies with hubcaps or the solid heavy steel wheels?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think changing to disc would cost too much, how about changing the steels to light alloy wheels, would that help?
disc brake + body kit + alloy wheel + nicer interior and option + VDC
i think premium N/A really worth more than the difference

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) I got slipstreams installed today and braking was much better and acceleration too. 25+ lbs steelies to 13 lbs alloys makes a big difference. But now I have to put up with that stupid TPMS light because the sensors didn't fit. :mad:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got slipstreams installed today and braking was much better and acceleration too. 25+ lbs steelies to 13 lbs alloys makes a big difference. But now I have to put up with that stupid TPMS light because the sensors didn't fit.
Where pix? ???

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only problem I have with the brakes is I feel that the ABS can activate a little too quickly for my liking.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The only problem I have with the brakes is I feel that the ABS can activate a little too quickly for my liking.
are you driving in snow with the OEM tire.... if the answer is yes.. than your problem is not the ABS being to invasive.. is your tire than can stop without skidding so the ABS kick in

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
are you driving in snow with the OEM tire.... if the answer is yes.. than your problem is not the ABS being to invasive.. is your tire than can stop without skidding so the ABS kick in
+1

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, but I still think the ABS kicks in more quickly than I'm used to. I've driven GM vehicles mostly (pontiac Sunfire, Grand Am and G6) and I feel the ABS didn't kick in as quickly with those vehicles. My Uncle has a Subaru Forester and he didn't like the ABS system on his car and had it removed. He felt the ABS were too sensitive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts