Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those new the Subaru world as we all were at one point in time. We always wondered what the necessary mods were. This post should help with those less familiar and wish to seek the quick way of making your vehicle the one to look at! I'm not a complete genius so I would like other peoples opinions to add to the list of the absolutely needed parts. With every product out in the market, people will say that one company is better than the other. Do the research needed to make the best possible decision for your self.

Short Shifter
This is one of the best mods you can go with. It's cheap, and allows you to get your hand back on the steering wheel quicker. Nonetheless it also helps you shift quicker to get better times at the track! There are multiple short shifters out in the market you be the judge and decide which one is the best for you. Also along with the short shifter, most will also buy the bushings as it will tighten your shifts. The stock one has a spongy feel which in return makes shifting more work than what it should be. Below is a list of different companies, each has a link to a site where you can purchase them and at the same time allow you to make the best decision for your self.

AVO Short Shifter
B&M Short Shifter
Cobb Double Adjustable Short Shifter
Kart Boy Short Shifter

Sway Bars
This is one of the best mods again that you can go with. With it still being affordable, you can stiffen your ride up to lose the body roll that you feel in the new 2008's. Right now, most companies only have the front sway bar released as the 2007 is identical for the 2008. (Can someone verify this last statement for me?) Rear Sway Bars are still in testing/development stages. So stay tuned for those!

Avo
Cobb
Cusco
Perrin
RalliTEK

Mud Flaps
Mud Flaps are necessary to prevent rocks/snow/dirt/rain/what ever else is out there that can fly up from your wheel and damage the body of your car.

Rally Armor (Should be release with in the next couple weeks)

Horns
Safety! Remember the last time you got cut off and tried using your horn but all you heard was the pussy meep meep? Get rid of it as this endangers others and most importantly your self! Take it up a notch and the others know you are there with a louder more responsive horn.

Hella Twin Supertone Horns

This is all I could get done for now, if any one has any other information I should add/remove please let me know as this is going to be a great guide for those who don't know where to start!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
you can add the STI short shifter to the list, the dealer offered it to me as a option, but i was asking 495$CAN, and they are listed at 250$ on the U.S website !

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can add the STI short shifter to the list, the dealer offered it to me as a option, but i was asking 495$CAN, and they are listed at 250$ on the U.S website !
I couldn't find a link online, so if you can provide me the link I will gladly update the list :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. Karma +1.

·
Registered
577 Posts
TO THE MODS: STICKY THIS NOW!

this is goood stuff. thanks for posting.

possibly sticky in the aftermarket section. everyone will look there for this stuff.

hope its updated from time to time as more parts become available.
the rest of this year will be an exciting time for us and our cars!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dont forget about a Cobb AP. Wake your car up people, if your going to do minimal stuff just run a stage 1 map.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think these are more like suby guidelines, i have been around the suby world for a few years now and i can say, if your rocking sways, hella supertones, and some flaps, people will normally accept you into the crowd. oh and you have to have new tires also. anything after is usually just a bonus

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
8/18/2008

* Added AEM Intake (Thanks TougeMonster @ 3GWRX)
* Added Megan Racing Coilover for WRX (Thanks TougeMonster @ 3GWRX)
* Added Megan Racing Coilover for STI (Thanks TougeMonster @ 3GWRX)
* Added HKS Exhaust for WRX and STI as well as center pipe (Thanks TougeMonster @ 3GWRX)
* Added Tanabe Springs for STI (Thanks TougeMonster @ 3GWRX)

Updated, Thanks.

I started putting this together a while back, some people might find it useful:

http://wrxfanatics.com/method/

It is also a sticky here:

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=1458.0

Best,

method.
Please update when possible.
More CAI, AEM, Injen, K&N
Exhaust choices (Invidia, HKS) are now available
Cusco Rallitek braces
Megan Coilovers
Springs Tanabe, SportCompEngineering

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
INJEN just released their intake

·
Registered
396 Posts
What is the best order in which to start upgrading my stock WRX? Springs/coilovers, then sway bars? exhaust then headers? downpipe then exhaust or all at once? Re-map then upgrade parts? power or handling first? any advice is greatly appreciated!! this is my first suby let alone sports car and i have no idea where to begin. i don't want to skimp on quality so i am ready to make this an investment with every intention of keeping it for a long long time. ???

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What is the best order in which to start upgrading my stock WRX? Springs/coilovers, then sway bars? exhaust then headers? downpipe then exhaust or all at once? Re-map then upgrade parts? power or handling first? any advice is greatly appreciated!! this is my first suby let alone sports car and i have no idea where to begin. i don't want to skimp on quality so i am ready to make this an investment with every intention of keeping it for a long long time. ???
I would say go with what you think are the weaknesses first.
If you think the rolling/handling, then sways before springs. If power, then grab an AP (CobbAccessport) and start from there. This can be adjusted in the future for more upgrades you acquire.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are my .02 which has been a while.

Handling > Power.

I say this because if you have power but can't turn/stop. Whats the point? There's a delicate balance between the two and every one has different ideas for this. Obviously if you have a 500hp subie and kept stock brakes and clutch you are doomed. But at the same time why drop 6,000 into coils, brakes, clutch and have no power to use.

From what I know stage two causes no problems staying stock since its only a few hp upgrade but I personally don't plan on doing any power until my suspension is complete.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
a lot of subie guys over at NASIOC are power hungry. And I have to admit, although I'm limited in mods, just about all my mods are power related. I have my STi pinks sitting around forever, have yet to install them. And then tires would be nice.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts