Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
i would consider tail light overlays for the hatch a 'must have' as well. harman motive used to sell them, but you can also find them at www.bluebatmobile.com or you can pick up sheets of the vinyl at a craft store and attempt to do it yourself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is the best order in which to start upgrading my stock WRX? Springs/coilovers, then sway bars? exhaust then headers? downpipe then exhaust or all at once? Re-map then upgrade parts? power or handling first? any advice is greatly appreciated!! this is my first suby let alone sports car and i have no idea where to begin. i don't want to skimp on quality so i am ready to make this an investment with every intention of keeping it for a long long time. ???
Upgrading your handling will put you on par with sports cars more expensive than yours without any power upgrades. You'll save money if you do TurboBackExhaust and headers all at once if you are not installing yourself. Be careful, you will lose the awesome boxer sound if you get equal length headers!.......RULE #1 Tune that bad boy!

Reactions: Hoonigan808

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think for anyone who wants to keep their paint in tip top shape especially up front since it is so wimpy and cheap, a clear bra type of thing is a necessity. I hear it works really well and I really want to get the full kit myself to cover the bumper, hood, pillars and the roof to protect from the damaging sun.

If anyone is going to upgrading their suspension, better tires are a must to get the best out of it.
As for performance, think "air in, air out" is a big deal in a subie so like CAI and TBE to free up all that restricted air.

My first modification on my WRX was a lightweight crank pulley. It's cheap (100 or under) and helps, but I didn't go with the lightest because I don't want to have issues with powering my electronics when I get a lighter flywheel perhaps sometime in the future.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If this is a MUST HAVE list, I would say the following with appropriate bias:

PERRIN Stage One (Tuning, AP, Antenna and Filter)
PERRIN Rear Sway Bar
Lowering Springs
Tires and or Wheels AND Tires
PERRIN Crank Pulley

The SHOULD HAVE:

PERRIN Cold Air (With Mapping)
PERRIN Stage Two (with Cat-Back)
PERRIN Short Shifter

Then the list gets more complicated in my opinion. But the above would make a HUGE difference in the day to day pleasure of driving the car.

Minimize the budget, and most can be done at home with hand tools, beer and a buddy. Increases the fun of the car hobby! Isn't that a huge part of what makes modding a car fun?

Thoughts folks?

As always, thanks for letting me put in my $.02
;D

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
If this is a MUST HAVE list, I would say the following with appropriate bias:

PERRIN Stage One (Tuning, AP, Antenna and Filter)
PERRIN Rear Sway Bar
Lowering Springs
Tires and or Wheels AND Tires
PERRIN Crank Pulley

The SHOULD HAVE:

PERRIN Cold Air (With Mapping)
PERRIN Stage Two (with Cat-Back)
PERRIN Short Shifter

Then the list gets more complicated in my opinion. But the above would make a HUGE difference in the day to day pleasure of driving the car.

Minimize the budget, and most can be done at home with hand tools, beer and a buddy. Increases the fun of the car hobby! Isn't that a huge part of what makes modding a car fun?

Thoughts folks?

As always, thanks for letting me put in my $.02
;D
Ha ha pretty good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What is it with Subaru owners and Hella's? I just don't get it. :eek:

8)

One of the best things you can do for your car when it comes to mods is... have a plan! You will save yourself a ton of money and headaches along the way. I can also tell you from experience, any turbo upgrade smaller than a big 16g is too small. Don't get caught up in the "laggy" hype. Even with a big 16g you will just get a taste of good power. For me nothing but a TD05 or TD06 20g will do. But that is from my old WRX days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great stuff on the post...as I have done the sway bar install and its the best thing ever..

one more to add is better pads on the brakes and stainless steel lines.

·
Registered
553 Posts
what benefit did you see from ss lines and upgraded pads?

I feel like the stock pads can sufficiently lock the wheels pretty easily. I'm not quite sure how ss lines really do anything. Seems to me like the money I could spend on ss lines and pads would be far more worth while in some upgraded tires since those are the piece of the car that actually causes you to stop, thats just my opinion though

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
what benefit did you see from ss lines and upgraded pads?

I feel like the stock pads can sufficiently lock the wheels pretty easily. I'm not quite sure how ss lines really do anything. Seems to me like the money I could spend on ss lines and pads would be far more worth while in some upgraded tires since those are the piece of the car that actually causes you to stop, thats just my opinion though
tires make a huge difference. i have bridgestone potenza re11 tires right now for summers. they are incredible around turns. i got them with my wheels used. i would never spend this much on tires new! these cost like 270 each!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
^Have you been to a road course?
no just regular street driving. the ride is firm but not too stiff. next id still like to get a good set of aftermarket struts/springs when the prices come down some.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry, I meant NoGraffix. The stock pads/rotors/lines also seemed fine for me on the street, but the first time I went to a road course I realized how lacking they are. A couple brakes from 130+ to 60mph tend to make them go to mush pretty fast. They're on my list of things to do next.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks for answering my question I didn't think anyone even noticed it lol. My car is just a DD so I really can't justify $600+ in brakes upgrades (lines/pads/rotors) when the stock ones seem to do fine (no brake from 130 to 60 for me on the streets, I kinda need to keep my ability to drive legally ::) )

What exactly does upgrading to SS lines do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good stuff. Does anyone have suggestions for mods I can do to my 2011 STI without voiding the warranty. I already have a wheels and tires picked out, will tint the windows...but was looking for performance bolt ons, ie, catback, intake.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Your not going to get much performance with just a catback and an intake, but it does sound a lot cooler!
Spt had both, and is well... subaru made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks, I kinda figured i wouldn't get too much performance gains with simple bolt ons, but I will wait until the warranty expires before I start to tune the thing. Is the SPT stuff competitive with the other aftermarket stuff...I was looking at an HKS cat back

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What level of noise you looking for? Spt is quiet, and not the BEST quality, but decent.
Subaru will not void your warranty over a catback.
An intake, you need a tune (unless its a drop in panel) because our cars are pretty darn lean from the factory.
Just get the catback, for sound, and put your mods into things like suspension, st shifter, ect, until your warranty is up.
Just my 2c, your talking to the guy that went stage 2 a month after owning the car lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool, thanks...I like the louder exhausts that boxer puts out. I will do my homework and just wait for the warranty. Got any suggestions for an exhaust with decent exhaust note? Thanks!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts