Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest gripe I have about my '09 WRX is that most of the power is in the 4K RPM and up range. That's great if you're doing high speed pulls, but for driving around town I'm finding that there's lots of lag. I'm running Stage 1/93 Octane with a Cobb AP and the stock exhaust. I plan on getting a CBE or possibly a TBE, but I'd like to improve low end power. I had a Cobb lightweight pulley in my '06 for a little while. That seemed to decrease lag, but it vibrated and I put the stock one back on to be safe.

What suggestions do people have for a reasonably affordable way to improve low end power and decrease the turbo lag? How would a Stage 2 setup affect lag?

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Haha get an 08 :p... We get the low-end goodness...

getting a new up-pipe and intake can help with spool times...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
looking at Cobb's website for stage 2 OTS map, it looks like they improve torque dramatically at the lower RPM range. But I dont think physically the VF52 wants to make torque below 3.5K RPM and there will be more lag on the larger VF52. The mods mentioned by MicMcKee will help, as does going to stage 2.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
going stg 2 and replacing the dp w/ a catless or high flow catted type will definitely help your spool up time. i wouldn't chuck out the lightened crank pulley idea due to a bad experience in the past, i just wouldn't buy the cobb pulley again if i was you. high flow air filter, either panel or CAI but tuning for the CAI is advised. headers and up-pipe is also an option but an expensive one at that.

or you can always change out that enormous vf52 for a itsy bitsy td04.... i am willing to trade my td04 turbo w/ you if you are interested ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Getting a tune will definitely alleviate much of your concerns. Out of the box, the 08 and 09 WRX is tuned for linear power to the RPM range.

Here is an example:

Note the low end tq map of stock, vs a tuned map.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In order of effect per dollar....

Trade turbos with an '08 wrx (you'd probably make money on this deal)
Take out your spare tire
Punch out your cats with a baseball bat
Go stage 1
Get a DP/go stage 2
Lightweight Crank Pulley

·
Registered
0 Posts
i would say get a better drop in air fliter, knock out your cats and if you can afford a tune and aftermarket exos you should be good. mine did... ;D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think its your tune.

You have are one of Cobb's first stage 1 customers and from what you said in another post it didnt gain much power.

If I were you I would load the stock software back in and get a pro tune w/ baseline dyno and a DP. You should be all ;D

How fast do you drive around town if a stage 1 2009 doesnt have enough power? I bet 0-60 shifting at 4k would still be very inpressive

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
In order of effect per dollar....

Trade turbos with an '08 wrx (you'd probably make money on this deal)
Take out your spare tire
Punch out your cats with a baseball bat
Go stage 1
Get a DP/go stage 2
Lightweight Crank Pulley

I read that and at first I was all like "aww, poor cats", then I realized what you actually meant.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think its your tune.

You have are one of Cobb's first stage 1 customers and from what you said in another post it didnt gain much power.

If I were you I would load the stock software back in and get a pro tune w/ baseline dyno and a DP. You should be all ;D

How fast do you drive around town if a stage 1 2009 doesnt have enough power? I bet 0-60 shifting at 4k would still be very inpressive
The increased lag didn't really bother me till it started snowing, then I realized how much more fun it would be with the insta-torque on the 08's. Though, I know I'd probably want to switch back when it got dry out again. =(

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I think its your tune.

I would probably agree here as COBB's tune is almost like stock with a tiny bit more kick. Left Coast WRX showed be a nice comparo dyno map between COBB and OEM maybe he'll be nice enough to post. Although its for an 08 it gives a nice idea on how conservative COBB was for the WRX.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think its your tune.

I would probably agree here as COBB's tune is almost like stock with a tiny bit more kick. Left Coast WRX showed be a nice comparo dyno map between COBB and OEM maybe he'll be nice enough to post. Although its for an 08 it gives a nice idea on how conservative COBB was for the WRX.
Sure I will post it... ;)

Here is the Cobb Stage 1 and OEM Tunes...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thank you + another one for you :)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
go with a different tune.the cobb compared to the perrin for example is night and day on my 08.i would never flash back to the cobb map.13 psi with cobb and 17 with perrin is a big difference in power!

·
Registered
651 Posts
why replace the uppipe? it's catless already- an 02-05 certainly, anything after 06 no need

the vf52 is far from laggy (certainly lags behind a TD04 but what doesn't?) at 3000 rpms it's making 200 ft lbs (that's pretty on par w/ the 08) and climbs from there

stock 09

adding a catless downpipe w/ a good tune will quicken the spool and add power throughout the rpm range

porting/polishing the oe exhaust manifolds and a turbo inlet hose w/ further help w/ the low end- most headers will add power, but not on the left side of the graph- where you want it

·
Registered
0 Posts
why replace the uppipe? it's catless already- an 02-05 certainly, anything after 06 no need

the vf52 is far from laggy (certainly lags behind a TD04 but what doesn't?) at 3000 rpms it's making 200 ft lbs (that's pretty on par w/ the 08) and climbs from there

stock 09

adding a catless downpipe w/ a good tune will quicken the spool and add power throughout the rpm range

porting/polishing the oe exhaust manifolds and a turbo inlet hose w/ further help w/ the low end- most headers will add power, but not on the left side of the graph- where you want it

does increasing the size of the up pipe help with the car's breathing?

·
Registered
651 Posts
a well constricted aftermarket uppipe may help very mildly- I can't imagine anyone spending the $ on a such a pipe (especially knowing the hell they are to install!) for such a tiny gain. on the 02-05's it's one of the best bang for the bucks there is, for the 06-09's probably one of the worst bang for the $ mods there is

·
Registered
0 Posts
a well constricted aftermarket uppipe may help very mildly- I can't imagine anyone spending the $ on a such a pipe (especially knowing the hell they are to install!) for such a tiny gain. on the 02-05's it's one of the best bang for the bucks there is, for the 06-09's probably one of the worst bang for the $ mods there is
sweet info.. saving me a few dollars... ;D

·
Registered
651 Posts
I see your from singapore- the usdm 02-05's had a catted uppipe, the jdm WRX's never had a catted uppipe- just to clarify :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts