Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up a set of 07 STi TGV deletes, and will be porting and polishing them, and noticed alot of people do the air pump delete as well.

I would like to know the purpose of the air pump delete, and what removing it accomplishes.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Registered
472 Posts
will the 07 tgv deletes bolt up ? And curious about air pump delete too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YESHHH they do, direct swap.

I found out the the air pump is used only on cold start up for abour 60 seconds to warm up the cats to help with emmissions. Is that it?

Also I assume the CEL the delete will cause can be tuned out, is this possible??

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice and I know with my ap I can turn off any code I want

·
Registered
666 Posts
YESHHH they do, direct swap.

I found out the the air pump is used only on cold start up for abour 60 seconds to warm up the cats to help with emmissions. Is that it?

Also I assume the CEL the delete will cause can be tuned out, is this possible??
The AIR pump is used for initial start up to "dilute" your emissions (some say it helps the cat warm up faster but I don't know how much I believe that). Deleting it will reduce weight. Both the TGV and AIR CEL's can be tuned out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What's all needed just two block off plates

·
Registered
666 Posts
What's all needed just two block off plates
I believe that you have to leave one of the sensors plugged in too. I think there is a how-to over on iwsti, It's for an 07 STi, but the only difference should be where some parts are located (like where our actual AIR pump is). But it should be able to give you an idea.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I just picked up an air pump delete kit from P&L (just block-off plates). As far as I know, all that is required is blocking off the ports, and deleting the CEL, no?

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I just picked up an air pump delete kit from P&L (just block-off plates). As far as I know, all that is required is blocking off the ports, and deleting the CEL, no?
here is some info i can share/put together for you. we, 07+ owners, have an atmospheric sensor in our secondary, passenger side, air valve. this must stay plugged in. so, you can cut the plastic sensor and connector out of the metal valve body using a hot knife and reconnect it after removal of it and installation of the block off plate.

the driver's side valve, pump, and air-feed tube are super easy to remove. you'll want a set of OEM gaskets when you do this, as well.

the passenger's side valve and air-feed tube aren't as pleasant an experience as it's by the intake manifold and rides along the engine block underneath a mess of wires, loom, hoses etc. you'll have to take off the turbo, downpipe, and uppipe. you might get lucky and be able to simply remove the turbo and loosen the uppipe with enough clearance to do the job and reach the bolt.

a lift is your friend when you do this. it's a good idea perhaps not necessary, to get new exhaust gaskets, as well. when trying to get the air feed tubing out, just cut it in half and take it out that way as trying to do so with it in one piece will be a lot more work. pay mind to power steering lines and oil feed lines to your turbo as these may be nearby.

you'll obviously need to work with your tuner to create a new map that eliminate the air-feed system to clear the codes permanently, or do so in ATR, one of which should be p0410.

here's some pics of the system removed for reference:

g'luck!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Stupid air pump. I hate the noise it makes on startup. All for the sake of 30 sec of idle emissions. I wonder what the dealer would have to say if you didn't have the air pump. Not like it could void the warranty because of it. I guess deleting the code...

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is very loud....its like a small helicopter under there.

·
Registered
727 Posts
will the 07 tgv deletes bolt up ? And curious about air pump delete too.
they are nearly identical. 4 outside bolts are the same but the two inside bolts between the runners, they are slightly close or farther apart i cant remember @ the moment :p only a few millimeter offset, alls you have to do is knock out the copper plugs/insert in our plastic manifold and put a washer on the bolts when reinstalling.

just got my air pump delete kit from Trebel and havent had a weekend free yet to install them or my fuel rails and injectors

what are you guys doing about the valve with the built in Barometric pressure sensor???

just leaving it connected and in place or dissecting it like the guys on Nasioc/IWSTI
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209260&page=12

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
what are you guys doing about the valve with the built in Barometric pressure sensor???
read above, sir.

"we, 07+ owners, have an atmospheric sensor in our secondary, passenger side, air valve. this must stay plugged in. so, you can cut the plastic sensor and connector out of the metal valve body using a hot knife and reconnect it after removal of it and installation of the block off plate."

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally, I think its a waste of time for the 5 lb in weight savings. I could lose more weight taking a crap and not give SOA one more reason to void my warranty.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Personally, I think its a waste of time for the 5 lb in weight savings. I could lose more weight taking a crap and not give SOA one more reason to void my warranty.
while few may do it for weight savings or say they are (sometimes it's just a matter of due diligence while you're prepping a race car with the mentality of "might as well..."), i think most of us just want a much cleaner-looking engine bay. that's a lot of eye sore removed when done proper!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
OR................. sometimes stuff is in the way. I just realized this morning that the reason I haven't been able to seal my Dom3 to the uppipe was because the compressor housing was touching The air pump metal hose. So this hose has to go. Luckily a local shop had one set of AP Deletes. Unfortunately they are Cosworth and 70 dollars but they are very pretty. ::)
A couple hours later almost everything is out and the deletes are in.

I am kinda stuck on one thing. I have everything out except the passenger side valve. It doesn't look like its coming out easily, It's surrounded with hard coolant lines. I would rather not pull the manifold, it doesn't even look like the manifold being off would help. I will probably check things out in the morning. Right now I probably only have an hour and a half invested into it. It probably helps that the turbo and inlet are out of the car already.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts