Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a perrin TMIC from a member i tried installin it and for some reason everything goes in good but the turbo side wont sit flush wit the the turbo ... everything else mates up perfectly and ive tried everything been workng at it all day and cant get it to sit just rght ...

anyone out there have this problem or install one and could give some insite?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It took me two people and alot of pulling this way and that way to get it to fit just so. I just installed a downpipe this weekend and I took the intercooler off and the friend putting in the bolts cross threaded the back one and broke it off! Took an hour job about 6 hours to get the bolt out and get everything put back together. Just take your time and dont rush or it will kill your day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got it lined up pretty well there is just a less than an inch gap and leaks ...

also when i got it on its not gunna be able to sit on there with the cusco strut bar not sure if either of you have or had strut bar but i may end up selling the tmic

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your gonna sell your TMIC because your strut bar doesn't fit with it on? ::) I would say just get rid of the strut bar..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Perrin bar should fit but that sux that there is an inch of off-space? that's quite a bit to be off by. I would at the least see if something is getting in the way first. Maybe the bar should be removed first? Got pics?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha it was used before i got it ... i just got it a couple days go hahaah

yah i took the bar off ... the bolts screw into the holes all the way but there is like less then half an inch now and its not getting down ... and theres no way i can get it to fit the bar even if it fit right i need like a whole inch more room .. and if i got it to fit i would be hitting the bar the whole time and as soon as the engine would move stuff would get messed up ....

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
haha it was used before i got it ... i just got it a couple days go hahaah

yah i took the bar off ... the bolts screw into the holes all the way but there is like less then half an inch now and its not getting down ... and theres no way i can get it to fit the bar even if it fit right i need like a whole inch more room .. and if i got it to fit i would be hitting the bar the whole time and as soon as the engine would move stuff would get messed up ....
Wow that sucks pretty bad. If you decide that the TMIC is still what you want then the Perrin front bar has less width. But that sucks either way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yah i know but id rather not switch out the bar that i have ... the TMIC i was just an impulse buy anyways so selling it wouldnt hurt me that bad ... id just get a fmic and go along with my original plans ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just bought the SPT strut bar a half hour ago from the dealer... if it turns out I can do a TMIC, then I will just modify the strut bar. Just do some cutting, grinding, and re-welding and all will be good. And a fresh powdercoat for appearance.

Rob

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
"Perrin's top-mount intercoolers bolt to the stock turbo piping with slight trimming to your factory engine cover"
thats a direct quote from JSCspeed.com

I dont know if thats whats getting in the way but its all I can find that would not make it fit right..

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just tried to install mine a little while ago. The stocker comes off really freakin' easily... wish I had done that when I put on my downpipe, woulda made things easier.

I gave up and put the stock one back on for now. I need the car running for the autox on Sunday. It looks like I'm going to have to rotate my turbo outlet housing about 1/8" to get it to line up properly. The TMIC's instructions mention this, so I'll try it during the week or next weekend. I didn't want to risk having the stock TMIC not fit as a result.

Besides, I should probably have the recall done first.

Rob

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
kind of like exhausts sometimes, it might help to loosen up the airways that the tmic is connecting to and then tightening everything down once you get all the nuts and bolts threaded.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For $500 or the $800 that it used to be, this thing should fit perfect with no hassle of trying to make it fit. I'm trying to talk to Rallitek and see if they are going to lower their price on the AVO TMIC since the Perrin one is so low. The AVO is SLIGHTY smaller then the Perrin one which would prob make it fit A LOT better then the perrin one.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It looks like I'm going to have to rotate my turbo outlet housing about 1/8" to get it to line up properly. The TMIC's instructions mention this, so I'll try it during the week or next weekend.
how many bolts need to be loosened?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The instructions don't say... it just says, "this is done by loosening the small bolts on the compressor housing, and then rotating the housing as needed; note do not loosen these bolts more than one turn."

Rob

·
Registered
988 Posts
It looks like I'm going to have to rotate my turbo outlet housing about 1/8" to get it to line up properly. The TMIC's instructions mention this, so I'll try it during the week or next weekend.
how many bolts need to be loosened?
Remove the BOV Bolts 2 Bolts

Reomve the long metal bracket on the right of the car. 3 bolts

Remove the the bolts from the Turbo side. 2 bolts

Perrin TMIC installed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It took me two people and alot of pulling this way and that way to get it to fit just so. I just installed a downpipe this weekend and I took the intercooler off and the friend putting in the bolts cross threaded the back one and broke it off! Took an hour job about 6 hours to get the bolt out and get everything put back together. Just take your time and dont rush or it will kill your day.
I too had this problem except I didnt break the bolt, I stripped it out, so I just drilled out the same diameter of the hole and used a longer bolt and a nut on the back side made everything alot easier. As for the Cusco Strut bar, same thing there with me. It took me a good 15 minutes of looking at it and getting other people to look at it and all of a sudden a picture popped into my head. I had seen some manufacture using a 2-bolt strut bar, so I unbolted the whole bar, put the the nut on the inner most strut bolt on each strut and then a washer on the other 4, installed the strutbar mounts using the 2 outside bolts on each side and eurika, it worked. I got abou 1/4" to a 1/2" gap between the IC and SB. I know its a little late for you but I'm sure others that run into this would like to know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts