Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a day off tomorrow and will change my oil and will give me a chance to install my sandwich plate adapter, and install my gauges (boost and oil pressure). Any last minute recommendations other than the DIY section? Should I get extra copper wire to extend the existing wires? Or is the existing wires long enough? I plan on using fuse taps to power the gauges. Also the daisychain power wire wasn't long enough so I snipped the ends and solder the two set of wires together any reason why this wouldn't work? I'll be using a smycluster maker. I guess I should use teflon tape for the piugs but should I also use it for the oil pressure sender unit? There's this rubbery stuff on the threads should I still use teflon? And are the wires from the sender unit of the boost and oil pressure sender really long enough to get the gauges in the cluster? Again should I extend the wire with more copper wire? Thanks for the last minute advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: installing prosport premium boost and oil pressure

I didn't have any problems with wires not being long enough. Fuse taps are the way to go. I did the same thing with 2 power cables-- no problem at all. You shouldn't need teflon tape if there's already something on the plug-- if you do go with yellow teflon tape. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts

i didnt use the premiums ones nor the sandwich plate but as far as wiring i did the same thing with daisy chainning them together and did fuse taps from the fuse block under the dash (not under the hood), also make sure your using 10A fuse slot to tap into, i with my set up i had to get some extra wire for length... other than that your good to go, good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts

i would really recommend skipping the sandwich adapter, especially if you haven't picked it up yet. it's just adds more cost to the install, is prone to leaking, and isn't the ideal location for your sensor and accurate readings. just use the OEM spot below the alternator and if your gauge has a low pressure alarm, then ditch the OEM low-pressure sensor. if not, then relocate the OEM sensor to the rear (under tmic) location.

g'luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts

Best of luck. I would second the use of fuse taps, they are awesome and let you easily change the illumination options if your prefs change in the future.

Also, I recommend hooking illumination up to IG2 rather than ACC, which activates the gauge along with the cluster sweep and maintains power during cranking so your gauges don't perform the ceremony twice.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for all the great advice. Unfortunately monki I already bought the sandwich plate adaptor. I'll be beginning my install very soon. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok I need somre help I'm not sure what's going on. I can't get my guages to light up. I tapped fuse 3 red wire, 14 orange wire (left the white wire alone cause I want it to be red all the time) and found what I'm pretty sure a good ground on the chasis. Are these the right combo of fuses to wire color?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay never mind I got it. I read on the instruction if you wanted red on all the time not to connect the white wire, but as soon as I did the gauges fired up and now everything works. Now I wonder how you really make it only red :-\

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the default is:
Red: constant power (door locks) for memory and warning

Orange: acc power for full-time red color

White: not connected if you want red only

Black: ground to chassis.

Some prosport models do have some glitchy logic between the white and orange/amber wires, other models seem ok.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea that's how I had it before, but nothing lit up...I wonder if I connect the white wire to something that turns on as soon as start up like the radio or something, it would stay red all the time?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you hook up both amber and white to ACC, it'll illuminate one color all the time, but I think which color depends on a combination of timing/circuit priority. When I was trying to get my ProSport Evo gauge to work correctly, I tried every combination known to man and figured out what did what. In the end it's not very intuitive or consistent, and has to do with which wiregets power first and which has priority (white for the Evos).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sucks...oh well it isn't the worse thing in the world to have white lights on during the day. I guess I can see it better...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll update this thread with a question. I installed everything and everything is good, but something I noticed is my oil pressure gauge needle can be a little bouncy. Is this normal? I did have to extend the wire by clipping the end of the harness that attaches to the back of the gauge and use butt connectors to attach a cooper wire to make the wire longer. Is this problematic at all? Would this cause a slightly bouncy needle? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'll update this thread with a question. I installed everything and everything is good, but something I noticed is my oil pressure gauge needle can be a little bouncy. Is this normal? I did have to extend the wire by clipping the end of the harness that attaches to the back of the gauge and use butt connectors to attach a cooper wire to make the wire longer. Is this problematic at all? Would this cause a slightly bouncy needle? Thanks for the help.
That may be related to the sandwich adapter location

·
Registered
402 Posts
my shit was not long enough at all. I had to splice some bulk similar gauge wiring together to make it longer.

Used Sandwich + Prosport Gauges. I guess its just me because I ran it in from driver fender

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran it through the driver side fender lining also. And yea needed to extend the wire. Are you getting that bouncy needle at all? I suspect it is the sensor location using a sandwich adaptor, but so far it doesn't seem to be leaking and oil pressure has been pretty consistent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts