727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to do some appearance mods to the car

first off i have a red 5 door

what im thinking about doing is as follows and i just want some opinions

7 window tint prolly 15%
medium tail light tint
light tint on the rear lower reflectors
paint the center chrome with a transparent/candy black so it gives it a dark gunmetal color
also paint the badges the same way or just remove them
open the headlights and paint the chrome ring black and paint the reflectors
HID's im thinking 3000 (yellow)
fog lights (because mine is a base WRX)
diy front lip
paint my wheels black with a red lip like these

now just a couple questions

what is the best tail light tint
what is the best wheel paint
what kind of prep should i do before painting
any one know where i can buy fogs alls i can find is cheap universal kits

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
what is the best tail light tint - laminx
what is the best wheel paint - dupli color
what kind of prep should i do before painting - clean everything, tape off, clear coats, you know the deal
any one know where i can buy fogs alls i can find is cheap universal kits - your local dealer, best price i've heard of is 200 bucks

As for your DIY lip, I had it on mine and it looked nice but mine is a premium with the whole kit. ive seen it on a base model and it just doesn't look right for some reason. I'd suggest getting the non-premium lip then do the DIY lip.

I literally just installed 6000k 55w HID's 10 minutes ago and I am waiting to put in 2500k 70w in the fogs....Safe to say I love it like a fat kid loves cake

Tints are cool but just check your state laws and make sure you get someone real professional to do it.

Be real careful playing with your headlights as they seem to be prone to fogging up after tampering

chrome strip idea sounds cool, but im not sure exactly what you mean...

Overall your list sounds really nice just realize it's going to take a lot of time, money and patience. But it's completely worth it in the end, good luck and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a Red '08 (?) Premium WRX myself. The tint looks great on red.(check state laws) My plans for this year, I did my internals first, Smoke tint the rear lights, Put 3M protection plastic on the front lights, take off my WRX Badge and put on the SGT letters in a different order(GTS) just to mess with people, probably new rubber. I also love those wheels, and might do that. Current mods are front and rear Rallitek sways, endlinks, SPT catback, AVO drop-in air filter, Cobb AP with a Perrin Stage one Map.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is a 08 as well

laminex is the film correct ??
i had the film on my mustang and i had problems with it pealing is their a special trick to making it stick
i was actually thinking about picking up the spray and spray tinting them and then wet sand

but i saw this write up last night and it doesnt look to bad either
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9421

i dont really have to worry about tint im from MD so no SI SE and i know people who have 2.5 and dont have a problem and i already talked to a shop locally 220 for all 7 windows with a lifetime warranty does that sound reasonable ??

when you did your rims did you dismount the tires and how long did you let them sit before install and what kind of clear or finish should i use

i work at a shop so i have access to a lift and tire machine 24/7

what is our hub style 5 x what i have a friend with a couple 3000gt's 2 that are parts cars that i could steal the rims and tires off of and use until i get my wheels painted

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ours is 5 x 100....I didn't paint my rims, I just bought a set off of TireRack...But I just know a little bit about painting rims. There's a lot more people on this site though that could walk you through that process. Take a look at the "post pics of your wheels" thread and you should see some good examples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts