Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As it is probably known, the base speakers in the 09 are just as bad as the base speakers in my tr....

I plan on picking up a pioneer 6000ub head unit, but I really have no idea as to what speakers I should by...

I had crossfires in my old car and they sounded fine to me running off of the head unit amp.

Looking to spend 75ish per pair

thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spend $150 on your fronts and don't get rears. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Polk's in my 2.5i (db650's running off the head unit) and WRX (db6500's running off an amp)

They fit pretty well and are reasonably priced.

SJ

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
dont spend to much on your speakers if you plan to power them only with your HU
and pioneer are crap, and the only decent pioneer speakers are too expensive and will require a amp

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I was happy with inexpensive Kicker components. They can be found on ebay for under $100. I ran a pair of those and a 10" solobaric off a 3 channel amp and things sounded great. When I sold the car, I ran them off my Kenwood HU and they sounded great as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
dont spend to much on your speakers if you plan to power them only with your HU
and pioneer are crap, and the only decent pioneer speakers are too expensive and will require a amp
I was wondering about aftermarket speakers with the stock premium HU. It sounds like the speakers lose sound quality quickly with the bass on 1/2 in my car, so I was thinking about upgrading to components and wondered how they would sound off the stock HU. I dont mind doing an amp either..

I like the clean look of stock headunit, plus with it having Sirrius installed by the previous owner, 6disc mp3, and aux port, and steering wheel controls, i really dont want to change that out.

In my 06 limited wrx, i installed an Alpine HU and it helped some, but 1.5 years later i installed components and they made an even bigger difference. so this time I was thinking about speakers first.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
just do like me, keep the OEM HU and get a 4ch amplifier and new speakers

·
Registered
17 Posts
what are the speaker sizes????
6-1/2" ??? i read on some fitment guides that 6" will fit "most japanese cars" but i wasnt sure if it meant subarus...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
On a similar note, I have an Avic D3 and want to upgrade the speakers (don't want an aftermarket sub if possible) to just increase the sound quality a bit and add a little bit of volume, preferably without adding an amp (if that's even a realistic possibility), but I don't really know what the D3 will handle. I am a total audio n00b in the most extreme definition of the word, so, understanding that I'm not into big bass or huge thumping systems, would someone be willing to talk me through it (or send me some good links on the topic that would be easily digestible by a n00b like me) so I can understand things, as well as give me some recommendations?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sound Quality is a variable that is just like taste. something may sound good to you may sound like crap to me and vice versa. As for upgrading speakers... if you aren't willing to put out for the cost of equipment, and tuning & installation, please don't expect it to sound like your home theater. Like many of the above post... just get new speakers, you could also add the factory optional subwoofer to your D3 by bridging you rear channels but you lose the rear speakers. as for remeolb's advice.. well $150 speakers powered by the factory unit will not yield good results as those more expensive speakers expect to see more clean power which factory as well as aftermarket HU's cannot provide.

For best results an amplifier is needed.
Options that increase in sound quality
A) slightly better than factory -> New Coaxial speakers.
B) New Head Unit + Coaxial Speakers
C) Factory Head Unit + Amplifier (with High level input) + Coaxial Speakers
D) New Head Unit + Amplifier + Coaxial Speakers
E) Factory Head Unit + Amp + Component Speakers
F) New Head Unit + Amp + Component Speakers or..... Factory Unit + Sound Processor + Amps + Component Speakers

And depending on the aftermarket Unit that you choose it may or may not be better than the Factory Unit with processor.

I myself am planning to keep the Factory Unit for the stock look + Audison BitOne + Arc Audio Amps + Hertz Mille Components + Elemental Design (or JL Audio) subs in the spare tire.

Feel free to PM me for help... I've built a few systems myself...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I found that the sound quality is much better by just installing a new h/u
or adding a amplifier, when getting a nes hu its the increase in power from the amp that give you the sound quality

·
Registered
706 Posts
what are you looking for? Clarity? Bass? Each company has something about them i think infinities are good mid range and high range speakers but lack bass that alot of people want, but pioneers are decent all around sound

1 - 15 of 15 Posts