Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to begin planning out mods for my 08 HB. My goal is to increase power and handling with as little a drop in comfort as possible (have a family to think of..) In particular, I had a magnaflow cbe on my previous car (v6) that was much quieter than the GReddy SP2 I had on it before, but still annoyed me. I'm hoping to find a TBE that won't annoy me. I also want to upgrade the suspension. I'm thinking springs and sways plus endlinks. Add a CAI, a tune, and a short throw shifter and I think I'm done. So.. here's where I can use your help:

1. TBE: I'm willing to go custom, or full kit from someone like Cobb, or anything in between. My requirement: Make more power, without more noise. I've been told that this is not physically impossible, but I have yet to see it :) Is there anything quieter than the cbe SPT makes that isn't too restrictive? (using stock non-spt now)

2. Springs: I want to lower the car a little bit, with a slightly stiffer ride. STi pinks are the obvious option but I want to hear opinions on other springs. Something around the stiffness of an 09 with an inch drop would be great. Hoping this will help with the nose-up on heavy acceleration too.

3. Sways: I've heard there is not much comfort downside to sways+endlinks. People have said great things about Kartboy endlinks but I don't think they make any for the 08. I've had 'padded' endlinks recommended, any suggestions? As for the sways, where should I look there? What sizes have people been using?

4. Short-throw shifter: Looks like the two players here are Kartboy and Cobb, depending on whether I want adjustable or not?

5. CAI: Won't be adding this until I'm ready to tune, but what brands should I be looking for?

Anything else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
382 Posts
1. TBE: I'm willing to go custom, or full kit from someone like Cobb, or anything in between. My requirement: Make more power, without more noise. I've been told that this is not physically impossible, but I have yet to see it :) Is there anything quieter than the cbe SPT makes that isn't too restrictive? (using stock non-spt now)
I have heard several exhausts, the SPT is always the quietest. If you have hard it already and think its to loud, you may be out of luck unless you go custom fabricated. Usually CBE makers want the exhaust louder as people associate loudness with performance, rightfully or wrongfully.

2. Springs: I want to lower the car a little bit, with a slightly stiffer ride. STi pinks are the obvious option but I want to hear opinions on other springs. Something around the stiffness of an 09 with an inch drop would be great. Hoping this will help with the nose-up on heavy acceleration too.
Can't help you here. I am however selling some new pinks in the marketplace forum. ;)

3. Sways: I've heard there is not much comfort downside to sways+endlinks. People have said great things about Kartboy endlinks but I don't think they make any for the 08. I've had 'padded' endlinks recommended, any suggestions? As for the sways, where should I look there? What sizes have people been using?
I am currently running Rallitek bars with stock endlinks and am loving the setup. Many people have reported issues with after market endlinks making noise, I'll defer opinion on that. Whatever size the Rallitek bars work great for me in making the ride significantly better without being overly harsh.

4. Short-throw shifter: Looks like the two players here are Kartboy and Cobb, depending on whether I want adjustable or not?
There are a lot of options here. If you are putting comfort first you may wish to try Perrin's adapter that maintains the stock stalk with vibration canceling material in it.

5. CAI: Won't be adding this until I'm ready to tune, but what brands should I be looking for?
Perrin has one that does not require tuning. AEM is quality product, but a tune is a must. K&N has a unit coming to market shortly, it can be seen in the appropriate forum here.

Sounds like you have the bases covered for a performance enhancing yet "comfortable" setup with the areas you are targeting.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
1. SPT is as quiet as it's going to get in terms of CBE, forget TBE. I guess 1 thing you can do is have a exhaust shop cut off the resonator and weld a straight pipe there. But if you're planning on a downpipe anyway, just get the DP and keep the stock CBE and see how you like it then.
2. I dont believe the aftermarket has released springs that are even close to 09 spring rates yet. STi springs aren't about looks, it's more about performance.
3. I dont have aftermarket sway bars, so I cant comment here.
4. I have the Kartboy. The only complain I have about it is that the shifter has moved slightly towards the front (ie: neutral is kind of where 3rd should be). Cobb, I rather not adjust in case it gets loose somewhere down the road.
5. CAI, make sure it has an air straightener/diffuser built in. The DIY intake install shows an intake from Agency Power with the air straightener. Unfortunately it's not straight. As far as I know, AEM and Injen have them. I went w/ AEM b/c it came w/ a heat shield, a stupid large 9" filter, and a lifetime warranty.

What tuning route are you planning on?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. SPT is as quiet as it's going to get in terms of CBE, forget TBE. I guess 1 thing you can do is have a exhaust shop cut off the resonator and weld a straight pipe there. But if you're planning on a downpipe anyway, just get the DP and keep the stock CBE and see how you like it then.
2. I dont believe the aftermarket has released springs that are even close to 09 spring rates yet. STi springs aren't about looks, it's more about performance.
Didn't quite follow you on the straight pipe vs resonator.. wouldn't the straight pipe be louder? I've heard the SPT on a sedan and it was too loud for me, but I was told that the HB is quieter because of the large muffler size. I have not found anyone in the area (nor any dealers with new cars on the lot) with a HB + SPT exhaust. Anyone in Nebraska mind letting me listen to their SPT exhaust? lol...

Hm.. so all the springs out there are softer than 09s? I didn't realize that. The 09s I drove before buying my 08 was perfectly comfortable in terms of ride quality. Any idea what the spring rates are on the 09s, so I know what to look for when shopping?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is this a WRX? All you've said so far is that it's a hatchback.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Didn't quite follow you on the straight pipe vs resonator.. wouldn't the straight pipe be louder? I've heard the SPT on a sedan and it was too loud for me, but I was told that the HB is quieter because of the large muffler size. I have not found anyone in the area (nor any dealers with new cars on the lot) with a HB + SPT exhaust. Anyone in Nebraska mind letting me listen to their SPT exhaust? lol...
I'll be driving through Nebraska a week before Christmas on i80. I could stop off for 10 minutes and let you listen if desired.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a WRX? All you've said so far is that it's a hatchback.
Yes, sorry. 08 WRX, base trim. I kinda assumed the tbe might indicate a turbo :)

I'll be driving through Nebraska a week before Christmas on i80. I could stop off for 10 minutes and let you listen if desired.
That would be awesome. I'm strongly considering those pinks, and I bookmarked your post in the for sale forum a few days ago. If I end up getting those springs I'll buy from you, if you don't mind dropping them off at the same time. Could do cash.

CuriousFish, thanks for the springs and exhaust info.. going to go do some more reading.

So far sounds like SPT cbe plus DP of my choice for exhaust...

·
Registered
382 Posts
That would be awesome. I'm strongly considering those pinks, and I bookmarked your post in the for sale forum a few days ago. If I end up getting those springs I'll buy from you, if you don't mind dropping them off at the same time. Could do cash.
That would work out great if you decided to buy them, since I wouldn't have to ship them I'd drop another $5 off the total to make them $150. I have not heard any serious inquiries elsewhere, so they are still available. I'm not 100% on when the wife and I are leaving yet, but it would be about 1 week before Christmas as we drive to visit family. Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details; you are welcome to listen to my SPT even if you decide to pass on the springs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a Cobb DP , SPT CBE and I love it. You will make good TQ and HP with stg2 map.

Sound clip

I would save on the CAI and put the money to a fmic or tmic. From what I heard the stock TMIC end caps don't hold so well.

Below is a dyno chart of my car with Cobb DP , SPT CBE , Perrin TMIC and Perrin stage 2 map. The place where I went Dyno a stock STI and it only got 150 TQ max and 175 HP. The Dyno I was on gives low readings. So with that being said take these numbers for what they are and that doesn't mean you won't get high hp reading from another Dnyo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imstuner, thanks for your reply. I love low-end rumble, and the boxer always sounds great. My concern is that I do a lot of highway driving and I don't want to be able to hear the exhaust at 2500-3000 RPM on the highway. There's enough wind and road noise as it is... how does it sound on the highway with that setup? What about around town, how loud is it inside the car?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
just a FYI, the Dyno Dynamics is known throughout the industry as being the "heartbreaker" dyno.... supposedly reads lower than a mustang dyno.... I wouldn't be surprised if your car made ~230WHP on a dynojet.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You will not get that droning sound from this setup. Minor sound in the car and this will be the best queit setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking into tuning options. I'm moving soon, and in the long run I'd really like to get a pro tune, so I'm not sure a Cobb AP is the best choice right now. I need to do some research into who does tunes in NY. Not sure where to start on that either, honestly

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looking into tuning options. I'm moving soon, and in the long run I'd really like to get a pro tune, so I'm not sure a Cobb AP is the best choice right now. I need to do some research into who does tunes in NY. Not sure where to start on that either, honestly
Based on the mods you are looking at, I would advise going with a Open Source tune. The whole thing can be tune for under $200 to put you in a quality stage 1 program. The process is straight forward, but the AP is still the simplest approach, just comes at a huge cost premium.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be living in the Hudson Valley area come January. Obviously a tune is not something to mess around with though, so if I have to take a drive to get to a reputable tuner so be it. I'll probably base my EM choice on what they prefer, too. No point me buying an AP now only to find that a fantastic tuner lives next door but only does open source...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yeah, the Cobb AP does come at a large price. Open Source tuning can get pricey too, but the price for admission is way lower w/ Open Source.
I havent found many reputable tuners that do open source only. They usually do both, or at least AP.
The reason I went w/ AP is due to simplicity, options, and support.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I want to begin planning out mods for my 08 HB. My goal is to increase power and handling with as little a drop in comfort as possible (have a family to think of..) In particular, I had a magnaflow cbe on my previous car (v6) that was much quieter than the GReddy SP2 I had on it before, but still annoyed me. I'm hoping to find a TBE that won't annoy me. I also want to upgrade the suspension. I'm thinking springs and sways plus endlinks. Add a CAI, a tune, and a short throw shifter and I think I'm done. So.. here's where I can use your help:

Change the midpipe section to a 3" with or without resonator, keep the stock muffler. For even more power gains, downpipe would be great here. This combination will allow you to increase your power substantially while still being quieter than the SPT. Many of the locals here run this set up as we live in an area where exhaust noise is quite strict.
2. Springs: I want to lower the car a little bit, with a slightly stiffer ride. STi pinks are the obvious option but I want to hear opinions on other springs. Something around the stiffness of an 09 with an inch drop would be great. Hoping this will help with the nose-up on heavy acceleration too.You cannot get up to the 09 levels of rates w/o changing the dampers as they will blow prematurely. I would wait on this or slap on a set of 08 STi dampers and change the springs out to an STi lowering spring set.

3. Sways: I've heard there is not much comfort downside to sways+endlinks. People have said great things about Kartboy endlinks but I don't think they make any for the 08. I've had 'padded' endlinks recommended, any suggestions? As for the sways, where should I look there? What sizes have people been using? There is a slight increase in firmness of ride with sways. This is based on preference as although complete metal will net better performance "albeit endlinks will make quite a miniscule difference in the overall picture if you are going to compare rallitek vs. perrin or some other aftermarket set" Anything above stock is good. You might want to look at the squeakiness ratings here and make a decision based on other things.

Not a fan personally as I like to be rough with the gear shifter. Bushings would take me here for firmer feel.

Reputable brand and a heat shield

1 - 20 of 30 Posts