Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2008 WRX premium 5 door last week. It's been a lot of fun to drive and get used to. Coming from a big luxo SUV I don't find the 2008 too soft at all, but I can understand why people would say that. I was driving a bit spirited today on a wavy road and can see how the suspension floats a bit more than many people would want in a sporty car. I live in town in Boston and drive on a lot of crappy roads, so the soft suspension will be fine until I move out of the city.

I've got the STI short shift, subwoofer and homelink mirror as accessories. I wish I had the grill, but I'll do that later.

I think I got one of the last non STI new 2008 WRX's in MA. I'm waiting until Tweeter drops their prices a little more and I might pick up an in dash navigation or something. So far I've been playing around with the stock stereo setting and have it to something I like, the subwoofer is ok if you fiddle with the X-over and gain a bit. Don't expect bass like a big sealed box with W7's or anything, but it does provide a nice little punch over the stock system.

I finally got used to the clutch/shifter and am very happy with it. The throws are longer than say, an S2000, but more than acceptable. I didn't really like the shifter before the short shifter. I haven't driven a turbo/AWD car for over 8 years so it took some getting used to. I like the 2008 torque curve, but I haven't been much over 4K rpm, so I haven't felt when the TD04 really drops off yet. I suppose that will be a bit disappointing, but really, I can tell it's more than fast enough for me as is.

So far my car is bone stock except I removed the ugly dealership badge. I'm going to tint next week, I think 35% all around to keep it legal here. I've heard rumors that you can go darker in the back here in MA because it's a wagon, but I'll let my tint guy tell me what's legal.

I waxed today with the new Meguirs NXT 2.0 wax. It went on nice, was a little bit of a pain to get off, but the results seemed good. I'll try and post a picture, but ISATI.

At any rate, I'll be lurking around here.

Cheers 3G owners!
ToddM

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome!

I live in newton, so if you're passing through and hear a really loud noise but only see a dark car moving slowly, that will be my non-turbo goodness. Feel free to fire away questions!

and, as a newbie, you'll need this site that has nearly all standard aftermarket parts out for the WRX:
http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008-parts/full-parts-list/

oh and ive heard that most places dont care about rear windows/rear windshield for tint purposes, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
502 Posts
congrats and welcome! I have the same car, 08 prem WRX in WRB.
I am in Framingham, where are you?
You should get some mud flaps asap to protect yourself from the salt!!
Here is mine:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think for right now, I'm going to stay stock. Well, I tinted the car already, so mostly stock. I live near the city, Brighton, so I don't mind the "soft" ride for now. I might get a new grill, but I don't think I'll do that until after winter.

I just experienced the RE92A's in snow. They are not good. I'm not sure why but I feel like every car I've bought in the last 14 years came with the most expensive, yet worst performing tires possible. I'll see how bad they are during first major snow here.

I put about 700 miles on it this holiday weekend. I drove up to NH, through VT and back down to Western MA. Then back to Boston. I'm almost through break in. I varied the speed a lot and drive pretty gingerly. I did a few spirited sprints. The car feels strong. I like the low end torque.

I have to do the cargo area cover mod, since that's driving me nuts. I might get some mud flaps as well, the paint does seem a bit weak. I'll have to find a nice THICK wax for the winter. Maybe something cheap and not so brilliant/reflective like Nu finish?

At any rate, I really like the car. I hope I don't have one of those "weak" clutches I've read about on some forums. I just don't want to go through the hassle.

Cheers,

ToddM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts