Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a turbo car before. Is it common when the car is new to smell a burning smell? I'm hoping it's just that new car burn off. Also, when starting the idle is kinda rough, and then evens out after a little warm up. Is that normal too?

I've never owned a rex before so I thought I'd ask. By they way, I've kept it under 5K RPM so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same thing with the burning smell but it went away after a while - approximately after the break in period. I don't know if it is due to the turbo though. I don't remember my car idling rough either.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The burning smell is normal and so is the "rough" idle... its not really rough just the car warming up. and during break-in period (first 500 miles) don't go above 4k rpms

·
Registered
700 Posts
mine idled rough buring the break in and on cold starts. just vibrating alot but once she's warm its gone

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The burning smell is normal and so is the "rough" idle... its not really rough just the car warming up. and during break-in period (first 500 miles) don't go above 4k rpms
After the break-in (I played safer at 1k) oil change to remove the thin almost water-like break-in oil. For the 5w-30, or whatever oil you prefer to use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The "rough" idle is more like a low rumbling that you can feel when the car is warming up. Sounds like this is normal, thanks. I figured the burning smell is just that new burning smell too, it's already dissapating as a matter of fact.

Break 'in: Subaru says <4K RPM for the first 1K miles, my dealer said 4-4.5K RPM (to maintain compression), and I've read in here and other forums go full throttle (which I have been but keeping it unfer 5K RPM), and some say drive it how you want it! I'm going somewhere in between. Under 4.5K RPM while trying to maintain compression to seat the rings.

About the Oil change...should I really do it at 1K? Doesn't seem out of the question, plus I'd go synthetic which is probably better than factory oil. I think I am going to use Subaru brand oil filters though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The "rough" idle is more like a low rumbling that you can feel when the car is warming up. Sounds like this is normal, thanks. I figured the burning smell is just that new burning smell too, it's already dissapating as a matter of fact.

Break 'in: Subaru says
All the things you said are valid actually, and a combination of all of them becomes even more accurate.
The below 4-5k thing, full throttle, variable rpms, are all to break-in and for good seating. The full throttle gives more of a variable rpm and lets the seating experience boosting situations. Drive how you want it = relying on warranty in case anything happens. There is also a debate on syn vs non syn eating seal conditioners etc etc... I ran syn and didn't have probs but if you see it as a risk by all means go non-syn.
The break-in oil sucks in whatever case and has shavings. I would change to whatever type of oil you want and whenever but the oil it comes with is like water.
Have fun regardless

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I had a stinky clutch for the first 1000k. I'm not sure why but it eventually went away.
WOW :eek:
You put on a million miles already? j/k just messing.
The break-in smell usually comes from the outer coating of the clutch plate contacting the pp and flywheel and coming off, and smoothening itself out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The burning smell is very normal. Its just new parts getting hot and burning off oils and such from the manufacturing process. I used to work at the car dealership in high school and all the new cars have that smell when you get them hot. Nothing to worry about there.

I am also experiencing the rough idle problem on my '09 wrx that has ~300 miles on it. It had me concerned at first but it sounds like its just warming up. The car only does it when first starting and when its cold. The RPM's will start at about 1.5k and the problem happens until it reaches about 1k and then its all normal when it drops below that. The whole rought idle lasts maybe 2-3 minutes. I am just paranoid because it's new and i have read a couple of posts about spun bearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a little paranoid too. You can see that by all my posts. I just want this new baby of mine to be perfect, ya know!

Your rpm description, I concur. On a cold start the engine starts ~1.6K rpm, the rumbling starts about 15 to 30 seconds after ignition. Then the rumble goes away about 1K for me too.

The burning smells are almost gone, BTW.

·
Registered
700 Posts
if you take your car out for some hard driving, smell down by the cowel. (think thats how you spell it) and you will still smell it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts