Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was wondering if it was possible and worthwhile to install aftermarket shifter bushings such as from Cobb or Perrin or whoever else makes them, without a short shift kit? It seems that the shifter bushings are FOR short throw shift kits but I am not sure if I want to go that route. I just find that shifting from third to second sometimes is difficult when I am quickly coming to a stop and want to perform this downshift for engine braking. I am hoping that maybe aftermarket bushings will help with this issue and just an overall better shifting feel?

Thanks,
MrElussive

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I cant speak for stock shift lever and aftermarket bushings. What I did 1st was install the aftermarket lever then put in the bushings a week later. The bushings helped with the feel, theres a lot less 'hunting' for gears. I felt the stock lever and bushings made the shifts too loose, so I initially went w/ a lighter shift knob which helped a little.
Final thought: for the price, go for it. oh, and the bushings may seem to go hand in hand with the lever as a package, but the bushings are still being placed on stock parts so it should fit no problem.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I only have the bushing, no short shifter. I am personally not a fan of short shifters as I think they encourage the driver to shift more roughly than necessary on a regular basis. The bushing did help a bit though. The bushings will have the same effect regardless of whether or not you have a short shifter installed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i agree. i dont really like short shifter but i installed rallitek shift bushings and there was a definate improvement in overall shift feel. it just feels more solid and positive

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts guys. I have my eyes on the Rallitek Shifter Bushing Kit and I am not crazy about short shift kits because the shorter throws are really nice but I don't like the increased shifting effort.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. I have my eyes on the Rallitek Shifter Bushing Kit and I am not crazy about short shift kits because the shorter throws are really nice but I don't like the increased shifting effort.
I agree. The increased shifting effort is very uncomfortable ofr me. I'd rather live with the longer throw.

But have you guys tried the STI short shifter? Its supposedly an entire assembly, instead of just the shifter stick, so it may be more comfortable to shift with, at the same time it does offer a shorter throw as well.

Haven't tried it though, just wondering.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Talk to TurninConcepts, they might be able to help you out, they carry the Kartboy and TiC bushings they are a kickass combo. Makes the shifter a lot less sloppy and a little more clickly, I love the setup.

I didn't try just the bushings without the lever, but a friend of mine has an 06 STI with bushings and it stiffened up his shifter as well.

I have the:

# Kartboy lever for the 2008 5MT
# Kartboy 5MT front shifter stay bushing
# Kartboy rear shifter stay bushing
# TiC shift linkage bushings
# TiC pivot bushings

in my car for about a week or so now, I love the setup. TiC (turninconcepts) sells a kit with all of the above.

If you decide to pick one up ask for Clint and tell em' Eric sent you :)

Best,

E, aka. method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts