Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im looking for guidance, advice, and opinions.

I was originally planning on purchasing the sport grill from the dealership, but have since re-assesed this idea, because all of the custom grills like the one here: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=3590.0 so I am planning on going with this idea.

Now, my spin on this is only slightly different... I am planning on using spray tint on the chrome part of the stock grill to generate a black chrome effect. If it works out, I want to do the same to the rear hatch trim and have them match. My question goes to anyone who has used spray tint before, do you think this will work? Can you recommend any product? How about a clear coat that will work well over the spray tint? Am I crazy for thinking i can get the desired result? Or should i just spray paint it like everyone else...

I am also thinking of doing my taillights if I can pull this off first and it comes out good. But that is a different story.

And if i mess up the grill, its not the end of the world, I can always just sand and paint it, or get a sport grill like i originally planned.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
646 Posts
if u can get the black chrome effect on the chrome pieces...i would like love you haha..black chrome is my favorite color

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
ive been thinking of doing something similar. I was thinking about pulling my tails apart and spray tinting the chrome on the INSIDE then matching the chrome strip. I havent seen it done yet and i want to do something unique. VHT niteshade has worked well for my friends. I know you can find it on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ebay for cheap? hah, its like $20 a can or so. I am trying to figure out where to buy it locally, and I posted over in the nor cal section of I-club and have a few leads so well see.

hopefully i can get this project off the ground in a week or two.

·
Registered
954 Posts
iv been thinking the same exact thing. my only concern is how well the spray will stick to the plasti chrome

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so over on I-club.com I was told to pick up some stuff from Hobbytown USA, which has a store near my house... its by Tamiya and its a "smoke" tint for polycarbonates. He said his buddy used it on his ridgeline and it came out very nice, looking professional. He was going for a smoke look, not a blackout... which is exactly what I am looking for too.

I am guessing that if it will work on taillights, it should work on the "chrome" peices as well... arent they plated plastic anyway, and not real chrome?

I'll have to give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.

Hey another question, what should I look for for mesh? I have heard to get gutter guard, is that the best stuff? I would like something that is somewhat easy to work with, and is more on the "fine" side as in theres alot of material and not huge holes, but many small holes... I guess im looking for as close to the grillcraft stuff as possible.

Hopefully I can scrounge up enough change to try this out next week. [budget is THAT tight right now, roommate issues and my name is on the lease, not theirs] I will be sure to post up with pictures as soon as I get going.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm going to do the same thing, but i want to have it prefessionally done and leave the little indented cirle right around the emblem chrome still. Ill send you some pics if i get mine done before you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sooo, i still haven't gotten this project going, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this? Troa? Lurker?
I'm still planning on trying this out... so hopefully it works.

any recommendations on grill material?

·
Registered
336 Posts
the chrome on the grill is real, not coated plastic...i have mine painted body color for the winter and the first time i did it i didn't prep the grill good enough and the paint started to chip off...i stripped all the paint off and sanded the grill really good. the paint has sticked so far but im just using this grill for winter, i have a carbon fiber one for the summer...the black chrome would look sooo cool, just sand your grill really good and i would prime it before your paint it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
BUMP!! pics please! i just got my CF chrome strip.. now i want my taillight blacked out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts