Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the new spt performance springs yet?? I'm getting mine on Monday and was wondering how hard or long it takes to do this installation!! I've only got 3k on the car so I'm not worried about stiff bolts!! What all needs to come off?? I haven't changed springs in years and that was on a 69 Datsun 510!!! Thanks all
Robert

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The biggest thing is to take your time and pay attention...i accidently left out the washer between the strut top and the top spring mount...had to completely undo a finished one ;)

Also, pay attention to the orientation of the struts in relation to the springs and their mounts...On the front it is not as big of a deal because the top mount rotates so you can rotate it to position the bolts in the top. The rear struts have a static top mount, so you have to tighten down the top in the correct direction prior to installing.

I used spring compressors on the front (you'll need them most likely, unless you are alot heavier than me)...i didn't need to use them on the back though.

It took me about 4 hours, since I had not done it in awhile either. (actually it took a little longer, but I took a few breaks for refreshments) :)

Also, I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the two lower front strut bolts...as well as the single lower bolt on the rear

If you can, borrow some air tools (impact wrench)...makes it go alot faster!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked up the springs... They look awesome!! I haven't even pulled off a tire yet, to even look at what needs to be done... I've never done rear coilover style springs.. any different than front McPhearson style struts?? I may go out tomorrow and give it a try! Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was installing my H&R's today and I stripped out the bolt that holds the bottom of the rear strut on. :mad: :mad: :mad:

man i'm pissed, I don't know what to do now!
The rears are really easy to get to though, just pull the carpet up in the trunk (sedan) and the bolts are right there.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was installing my H&R's today and I stripped out the bolt that holds the bottom of the rear strut on. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The rears are really easy to get to though, just pull the carpet up in the trunk (sedan) and the bolts are right there.
Post a pic of the H&Rs !!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Post a pic of the H&Rs !!!!
I'm hoping I can get them in today, my friend is coming over to help me with the stripped bolt...I hopes it's not a huge problem.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thats the worste! Drill/Tap ;). Best of luck bro! can't wait to see the stance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts