Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all, I have been around car boards for a while. My first 'foray' was with my 2002 Civic Si. I spent countless hours on a site dedicated to the Ep3 civic. I stick with the name 'joneSi' (jonesy...guess why :) ), though the Si is long gone. Yes it was the weird hatchback. Yes it had the weird shifter. Yes I loved that car. Unitl I got stuck with the dreaded steering rack creak on TWO different steering racks. Those electric jobbies are 2k a peice.

After the second one bit the dust I needed a car quickly, as I was returning to college to get another bachelors degree and couldn't pay for expensive fixes. Right now I drive a 5 speed Toyota Matrix Xr. I find the car a little on the boring side...after all it is just a corolla wagon. Once I am done with school again, I will drive a subaru...I'm giving in to the demons. I need a turbo, awd, snow friendly fun fast car. At this point I am thinking WRX, though if the job market turns out better than I think it will, then the STi is the car for me. Either way, I am pumped...it is helping get me through. August / Sept 2009 is what I am waiting for. That and a full time job again ;D

Having done some modding to the civic, I look forward to the project cars that you guys have. Just know I am looking on with jealous eyes.

joneSi

·
Registered
752 Posts
hey, welcome to the forum.

just read up and make plans for what you would like to mod.

realistically, what do you think you would do to the car?
downpipe + stage 2? or something more extreme?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind replies guys. At this point, there will be few mods done.

I spent good money after bad on the civic parts I had. Now that I am married and (hopefully) kids to follow, I need a reliable daily driver. The Si was not modded a lot, it just had injen CAI, dc sports header, neuspeed catback, eibach prokit, konig rated R wheels and a buddy club short shift kit. The neuspeed catback was sinister. I loved it. It looked EXACTLY like stock. The wheels fit well...all I needed to go with the neuspeed was a LOT more power. The Si even with the catback, was relatively quiet. I liked having a sort of sleeper. It was debadged ont he back, civic and Si both gone first because foo's like to steal the Si and eff up paint [DO'H!]... then I just liked it that way.

I've wanted a WRX since about 2000. I went on a trip to visit a friend who was a bit of a car fanatic herself. Anyway, she lived in New Zealand and had an Integra Type R. She told me all about the subies, in particular the cool one we COULDN'T get in the states, the WRX. Then in Sydney Australia I saw a modded one on the street, I knew it was for me. When I heard they were coming, I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, it wasn't the same body style as the one that I had seen in Sydney all decked out (which was black IIRC, in the 2.5rs style of the same model years that we had here...two doors etc).

I got the Si having seen the WRX up close in the states, I just couldn't afford it. The little Si only set me back about 17.5k. Not bad, especially since I wanted one of those for a while too. And for 6-7k less than the hot selling wrx, at the time. The rest is history.

Having said all that, the mods that will hopefully find their way to my mythical car will be:

Week one
No more clear tails :) (cheap one)
No crome strip ($185 or so)
Subaru short shift (yes I am aware of others)
Window tints (all the way around, same time as the tails)
Debadge the 'WRX', maybe even 'impreza'.

Before the first snow...
Winter wheels (some steelies...schweet!) and winter tires

When and if to maybe never...
STi pinks ...maybe the swift setup.
SPT intake and turbo heat shield.
Rota subzero (maybe a little played out on the subarus, but I still love it)

I tend to shy away from BIG drops (hence the prokit on the Si), and at this point, any part NOT made by the manufacturer of the car. Only reason being that I -need- the car everyday, and I am not too handy fixing something I could have screwed up. That way, when something does go 'kaput' then I have recourse with a dealer and or the manufacturer. Honda -insisted- that my eibach prokit was to blame for the rack creaking, despite the fact that hundreds more reported the creaking (including those with Hybrids with the same style electric rack). I want a very mild drop if at all. I want to avoid early modding hassles by playing by the rules set by subaru.

If this car ever gets to the point where I don't daily drive it (which is the idea...eventually), then I have a vision of a 275whp+ WRX, tuned with a big ass turbo DP, UP, catback, sti trans etc. A guy can dream right?

Now, last things first, I've got to get my hot little hands on one :D

joneSi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts