Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a 08 wrx 5 door its my first everything (first subaru,awd,turbo,import)

well from what i understand every mod done to a subaru should be back up with a tune it seems like so iv decided that will prolly be my first mod

im a automotive student at a tech school and i know alot about cars but iv never tuned anything other than a mustang and it was NA and was done with SCT dealer software and alls you did was put in the mods it would generate a safe tune and then you tune off of that is their anything out their like that for subaru

ii understand the basics i just need to know where i should start where i can read up on tuning (books or online) and what options are out their i know their is AP and their is opensource i just dont know which would be best for me

if i go AP do i have to pay for a new tune every time or is it a open database where once you pay the initial cost you have access to multiple tunes or is it a one shot deal

if i go open source do i need a wideband immediately or can i go off of the stock 02 until i get to a certain point and is their any places that i can find tunes that are close to my setup like a safe tune and just mod off of it or would i have to tune off of a base map

im trying to get a hold of a kid at school who i have had classes with he has a 07 wrx and uses a open source program on his laptop he did his tunes and he even did a launch control built into the stock ecu (and i know that he also tuned for a couple other people at school as well) but im not sure if he graduated already or if he just switched to morning classes

any help or point in the right direction would be much appreciated

Edit : i forgot to mention right now im running linux because windows xp on my laptop took a shit and will prolly be stuck with linux until spring when i get out of school and can afford a new laptop. is their any open source tuning software for linux and if not do you think a tuning program will run in Wine (windows emulator for linux)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The accessport is a one time fee, which includes licensing that other tuning methods may charge you (and tend to be quite hefty). The only other cost in the future would be for maps if you bought maps from a 3rd party tuner who charges for their maps. If you did the tuning yourself there would obviously not be any further cost.

Cobb recently made their protuner software available for free, so you can load the cobb maps and then fine tune them how you like. I personally am not nearly brave enough to even touch that sort of thing, but you may be. Left Coast WRX has a lot of information on the topic and has gathered a fair amount of info on the topic, so you might want to check his post history in the tuning forum if he doesn't chime in here.

I'm sure you could do some minor tweaks to cobb maps without a wideband, but I probably wouldn't make any major changes without one.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
First off welcome to the subie world!

Second, Opensauce is MUCH cheaper then the AP. Opensauce costs $170 for the Tactrix Cable 2.0 and then everything else you need is free (ECU Flash, Romraider) You can buy OTS (off the shelf) Maps from http://www.xpttuning.com/xptstore/ (makes very good ones and only cost about $60) OR you can make a copy of your stock ECU map and tune from there. If you go on his forums their is a lot to learn on there about tuning basics.

AP is MUCH more expensive right off the bat. Cost $700 just for the item. THEN if you want good OTS maps like from Perrin or Rallitek that costs another $180 for them. Or like Chanke said you can just get the Cobb OTS maps that are free and tune from there. To me opensauce is so much better then the AP and I just ordered my Tactrix cable and i'll be selling my AP ASAP.

No matter what or how you tune you will always need a WBo2. Even if its a minor correction. Its best to know you are running good then to have to guess.

Here is a good post on the Cobb Tuning Software for beginners. This post can also be used for the opensauce because it is just telling you how to tune now really how to use the software:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cobb-street-tuner/29109-street-tuner-n00b-tuning-primer.html

Like I said its all up to how you want to tune and what you want to use to tune your car with. AP is FAR more expensive then Opensauce. And both are going to cost the same if you want to get a Pro-Tune done. So its what you want to do. I'm not quite sure which one works with Linux and which one doesn't. So if somebody else will chime in on that, that would be great.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The accessport is a one time fee, which includes licensing that other tuning methods may charge you (and tend to be quite hefty). The only other cost in the future would be for maps if you bought maps from a 3rd party tuner who charges for their maps. If you did the tuning yourself there would obviously not be any further cost.

Cobb recently made their protuner software available for free, so you can load the cobb maps and then fine tune them how you like. I personally am not nearly brave enough to even touch that sort of thing, but you may be. Left Coast WRX has a lot of information on the topic and has gathered a fair amount of info on the topic, so you might want to check his post history in the tuning forum if he doesn't chime in here.

I'm sure you could do some minor tweaks to cobb maps without a wideband, but I probably wouldn't make any major changes without one.

Both Open Source and the AP have their Perks and Draw Backs. I have looked at them both, bought a Tactrix cable (before the 2.0 cable came out) and used RomRaider to do some Datalogging. This was before Open Source supported tuning our ECU's. I have been taking peaks at RomRaider ever since.

Open Source is much cheaper, and the tunning platform is good. If you throw a Code, or want to swap maps, view live data, Data log, you have to have your laptop with you.

AP is a hand held unit that allows you to read and clear codes, swap maps, give you live data with peak values and NOW the ability to log different parameters right on to the unit and you can view the CSV files later on your computer. The AP has the ability to make a few changes to the map you are running, basically timing advance up to 5 degrees, VERY DANGEROUS (I am not sure that Cobb should have made that feature so easy to use) if you don't know what you are doing. But on the other hand it is EXPENSIVE but pretty rich with features.

Open Source or Access Tuner Race (ATR - Cobbs tuning software) tuning is tuning and a WBo2 is a must!

Now I am not trying to sell you Open Source or the AP, (I know more about the AP becaues that is what I use) they are both VERY good platforms. Bottom line is you should do the research yourself and make your own decision.

As far as OS I am not sure that either is supported in Linux

Here is a link to some tuning info that has been pretty valuable for me, now it is AP related and references ATR but it does a good job of explaining the concept too:
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/AccessTUNERSoftwareCalibrationTuningGuidesSubarusv111.pdf
Also here are a couple of books:
"How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman
"High Performance Subaru builders guide" by Jeff Zurschmeide
Out of the two for MY08 & MY09 I would say the Jeff Hartmans book is better at explaining general concepts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys im going to try to pick up those books tomorrow should they be available at B&N

i also read through the post by wolf player and i kind of understand what he is talking about but i assume that everything is totally diff as far as his calculations because he was tuning a STi not a WRX

and i also check out Maps from http://www.xpttuning.com/xptstore/ but it seems like they just came out with a stg 1 tune for the 08 how quick do they usualy come out wth others like a stg 2 map for the 08 would it be next month or next year

also what Wideband would you guys recommend and who has the best deals

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd get the AEM UEGO wideband. Search around might be able to find a used one for a good price. And he is realeasing the Stage 2 map shortly. Right now its in beta so he is testing it out. So it should be out within the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I was under the impression that the UEGO was only a pseudo-wideband that still utilized the stock O2 sensor?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're thinking about logging with romraider, I'd go with what is supported. lm-1, lc-1, aem uego or utec. I use the lc-1 and yes, I bought it from ebay and used my live.com cashback... ;D -$60 w/ discount. Romraider supports linux but not sure if ecuflash does, get the rc-5 down load, the 5.0 beta didn't work for me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're thinking about logging with romraider, I'd go with what is supported. lm-1, lc-1, aem uego or utec. I use the lc-1 and yes, I bought it from ebay and used my live.com cashback... ;D - w/ discount. Romraider supports linux but not sure if ecuflash does, get the rc-5 down load, the 5.0 beta didn't work for me.

more info please

1 - 11 of 11 Posts