Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people talking about coil overs as opposed to strut. What is the difference between the two? I want to lower my car and was thinking about going with springs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Coilovers usually give a rougher ride. However, with coilovers you get the adjustably. Whereas, with springs (depending on spring rate) you'll get more of a comfortable ride without the convenience of adjustable ride height. I suggest if you're going to track the car a lot, then just save up for the coilovers. Personally, i use my car as a DD so i went the spring route.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was new to suspension mods as well before looking for help here. The general consensus is that springs should be fine unless you plan on going the the track frequently. There are alot of good options out there for springs. I went with Eibach and i love them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool I more or less just want to drop the car some, and track just once in a while and when I do go to the track it is just for fun nothing serious. So my next question is I hear of people blowing the seals in the stock struts, is that common when you just put lowering springs on a stock strut?

·
Registered
954 Posts
i think the problem of the struts blowing out is alot more of a problem on the 08's cause the struts were under valved from the factory. i blew all four of mine out using subaru performance springs. so im assuming basically any aftermarket spring will completely wipe them out

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My best suggestion, for safety sake, is to get 09 WRX struts and match them with an aftermarket spring of your choice.

That being said, I've had the SPT pinks on my stock struts for 6-7k miles and they are still okay, not leaking or blown out.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i think the problem of the struts blowing out is alot more of a problem on the 08's cause the struts were under valved from the factory. i blew all four of mine out using subaru performance springs. so im assuming basically any aftermarket spring will completely wipe them out
^^^^ +1
Especially on turbo models as cornering speeds are increased with additonal power (Since this can increase weight shift loads)
+ more risk with upgraded sways since this also alters effective spring rates.
+ more risk with better tire traction increased cornering loads again.

The OEM 08 dampers are just not valved to accomodate for increased potential bound and rebound rates, causing premature failure.
But then there are also manufacturing "jewels" above the norm like RallyShark seems to have.

09 upgrade seems like a good upgrade for enthusiasts
Coilovers for alot more potential and adjustability. More hardcore for those looking to reach another level.

For you though, just so you dont just have an 09 upgrade. Seems you still like to compete but for fun. You are in the mid grounds.
I would say wait for an aftermarket company to provide adjustable dampers and go with the spring of your choice.
Koni, Tokiko, KYB + Spring choice.

·
Registered
298 Posts
to answer the original question, a coilover is a spring and a strut (aka shock absorber) whereas a strut is just the shock absorber.

with an adjustable strut, you'll be able to somewhat change the balance of the car and how quickly the springs compress/rebound. a coilover will do much much more for handling though as you can really stiffen up the suspension.

a coilover is almost always better than getting just struts or just springs or springs and struts separately because the spring/strut combo on a coilover was designed to work together. no need to worry if the shock is valved correctly for that spring or if it can even handle a new spring (why many of the people who bought spt springs are blowing struts)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
^^^^ +1
Especially on turbo models as cornering speeds are increased with additonal power (Since this can increase weight shift loads)
+ more risk with upgraded sways since this also alters effective spring rates.
+ more risk with better tire traction increased cornering loads again.

The OEM 08 dampers are just not valved to accomodate for increased potential bound and rebound rates, causing premature failure.
But then there are also manufacturing "jewels" above the norm like RallyShark seems to have.

09 upgrade seems like a good upgrade for enthusiasts
Coilovers for alot more potential and adjustability. More hardcore for those looking to reach another level.

For you though, just so you dont just have an 09 upgrade. Seems you still like to compete but for fun. You are in the mid grounds.
I would say wait for an aftermarket company to provide adjustable dampers and go with the spring of your choice.
Koni, Tokiko, KYB + Spring choice.
There are others besides me that have not had leaking struts. I'm not sure as to why some are affected and some not though. If I had to buy struts again, I'd definitely get the OEM 09 WRX ones over any other OEM option (KYB AGX would be first choice, but they are not available).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info guys thanks. I guess when I get back from Iraq some of the cash will go for springs and I will run them until the struts go and I will have the money set aside for the 09 struts. But who knows I might just have one of the jewels. I guess there is only one way to find out LOL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts