Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just traded in her TSX 6 speed for a '08 WRX 5 speed sedan and we are just getting used to it. I really never leave my cars alone and she wants to do some simple but effective modifications to the car over the next couple of years.

I'm pretty mechanically adept (rebuilding a Porsche 944 motor at this time and I've been wheel 2 wheel racing in Honda Challenge and 944 Spec the last couple of years). I'm trying to figure out what is best and how to do it...affordably (you'll never get your money's worth on mods when you sell them separately or with the car).

Reflash?
I've been reading about the AccessPort and upgrading to a Perrin Map especially if you upgrade the exhaust...(I've played around with FMUs, piggybacks and standalones on a previous turbo'd car I had)...but does something like the AccessPort need to be permanently hooked up to the car or do you load it and reflash the ecu and you put it away?

Turboback Exhaust?
Seems to be the best bolt on mod on the market.

BOV / Intake?
While the stock ones are plastic they are not that big of an impediment...seems most changes here are for aesthetic and looks and sound of the psst!

Handling?
Front / rear sway bars to cut down body roll...suspension is brand new so it's pretty linear feeling but I'll be tracking the car in late September and October so I'll start really pushing its limits then and determine if coilovers are truly needed.

Anyone from KC area? I'd like to meet up sometime and talk and compare vehicles. I always like to look, test and hear before paying money and only to find out I don't like it they pay restock fees for my impulsiveness.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
you got some good questions there and welcome. first off i guess you got the idea of the accessport correct im sure you know tuning is a huge deal with newer cars and the electronics they have going on. our cars especially need to be monitored when any bolt on it put on. the ap just loads through the obd port load it takes about ten minutes then you can either put it away or monitor your car when you feel like it with the various gauges it has. you can also keep it handy if you want to put the car in vallet mode or economy mode for your preference.

turboback exhaust is def the best bolt on for our vehicles, plus who doesnt love that boxer rumble. also just keep in mind if you want catted or non catted downpipe

as far as bov they can make the car run rich sometimes just for the psst sound pretty much. the intake on the other hand definitely a must if you plan on upgrading the turbo or intercooler they can have some benefits.

handling you hit it on the nose strut bars also

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
welcome to the forum! Reflash w/ Cobb Accessport, a lot of ppl use it b/c it is simple and easy to use. Being that way, hook it, flash in the new map, unhook, start car, and away ya go. Turboback exhaust, most ppl do this in conjunction w/ a reflash. To get the most out of the turboback exhaust, reflash is necessary. BOV is not a good idea. As boosted08 stated, the car will run rich between shifts. This is due to the MAF already having read that a certain amount of air has come down the intake path, injectors dump in the fuel, but the air has been let off prior to getting into the intake manifold. Intake does provide some HP gain without tuning, but not much. For a WRX w/ a stock turbo, an aftermarket intake can be considered a waste due to the fact that the factory airbox is pretty good. Therefore, it's more of a noise maker. Some intakes do not need a professional tune to not affect the car in a negative way, while others do. Also, an intake that is properly tuned for will net additional HP as well. If youre going to track the car, coilovers. Most of the springs available seem to have street driving as the main priority still, and as of now, there are zero aftermarket dampers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

As for BOVs...I've read that vent to atmosphere 100% is not what we want b/c it should recirculate - but there's BOVs that can be adjusted to 50/50.

As for the AccessPort...$700 is a lot of coin to buy something to simply reflash it. Hondata does reflashes (send in ECU and immobilizer) and they reflash it for your for ~$200 plus shipping. That's much cheaper and I don't plan on constantly modifying the car to really see the need to spend that much. I know this maybe heresy but do other members "co-buy" a unit to use on their cars or simply pay to have their cars reflashed - the buy who bought it gets some money back and another car get's reflashed without spending $700 (more if you want a different map).

We'll eventually move up to a coilover package if the car sees more track duty (I've got two purpose built cars that I can bring along - just a pain in the butt putting in passenger seat and belts and removing ballast). I'm thinking a nice set of sway bars and as someone suggested strut bars to reduce they body roll (car is still tight but over time it will roll more).

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Cobb AP will only work on one car at a time. Once installed it is married to your car and will not work on another. I think it downloads the VIN number from the ECU and will only work on that VIN until 'unmarried' from your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Cobb AP will only work on one car at a time. Once installed it is married to your car and will not work on another. I think it downloads the VIN number from the ECU and will only work on that VIN until 'unmarried' from your ca.
Those cheeky bastards - always one step ahead! I'm wondering as to the margins they pull in.

Can you buy a used unit (that is "unmarried") that someone bought for a 02-07 and add the new software and map in order to reflash an '08 - I'm assuming the connector is the same and software should easily be updated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what I understand, they are model year specific. Since the '08 is not exactly like the '07 they use a different set up. Some model years that are unchanged might use the same one. You can find used '08s on bigger forums some times. But, they are not that much cheaper usually.
I could be wrong, but I think this is how the AP works.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
the thing is though, Cobb tries to justify their price by having the Accessport (AP) be more than just a reflash tool. The 1st generation AP was pretty much a reflash tool only. The current AP allows the owner to run CEL codes, real time MPG, dyno (not so accurate), read boost and AFR, launch control, and a bunch of other things. However, if someone was experienced or knows people that are experienced, Cobb AP may not be the best way to go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
the thing is though, Cobb tries to justify their price by having the Accessport (AP) be more than just a reflash tool. The 1st generation AP was pretty much a reflash tool only. The current AP allows the owner to run CEL codes, real time MPG, dyno (not so accurate), read boost and AFR, launch control, and a bunch of other things. However, if someone was experienced or knows people that are experienced, Cobb AP may not be the best way to go.
The price would be justified if Cobb would make available the programming package for the AP, so that I could write my own maps etc. In the very least the AP should offer some sort of datalogging, or better yet live output to a PC, but to my knowledge, does not.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
From what I've heard, the licensing for some other tuning methods is more expensive than the AP. I personally think the AP is worth it, though I think a price of $500 would be a bit more fair. I got an AP, and I'm glad I did given that I don't have a ton of detailed experience in ECU tuning.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The price would be justified if Cobb would make available the programming package for the AP, so that I could write my own maps etc. In the very least the AP should offer some sort of datalogging, or better yet live output to a PC, but to my knowledge, does not.
Were you able to download their street tuner software? You can pretty much change every cell in the programming if you are adept enough. If you need it you can go to the website and download it. It should still be on their frontpage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts