Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I picked up an 08, silver 5dr (not prem, but with the sport grill) in september. I got it for 20k so I don't feel horrible about not waiting for the 09. I figure that I can do some nice mods for the $ I saved, and I am not in love with the ground effects that are now standard on all 09 wrx's. That being said, I am looking for some input/ideas on mods that I can make. I don't want to go crazy spending money, and I don't really care for exterior changes, other than maybe some wheels down the road. I did get the spt short throw shifter installed already.

I do not want to race this car, and I don't want something that is going to give me headaches, or make the car loud. I want better handling, (less roll) and I want to pick up some power. I live in an area with a lot of harsh country roads that I like to slam around on, and I have some highway driving to get to work. I don't want to get the @#$% beat out of me on my daily commute, but also want a little more raod feel coming through the steering wheel.

Welcoming suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, what I mean by "not give me headaches." I want to bolt it on and not have to tinker with it every week, and I don't want to stress out the engine with so much power that stuff starts breaking.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
welcome aboard. I see you have set goals for your car. Most modifications that give good results costs $, and sometimes adds more noise. The cheapest way to add power without noise is to go with a tactrix cable and open source tuning. To reduce roll, aftermarket anti-roll bars will be the solution. This wont affect ride comfort too much, but will reduce the roll. Hope that helps, best of luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious- thanks... I have no idea what "tactrix cable and open source tuning" is, but I will check it out. I am a total nubie. I have owned subarus before, but I just came back to them after having an 06 audi A6... I turned that back in and decided to go out and get an outback or a legacy. When I got there there was this wrx sittting there, marked way down. I took it for a 10 minute drive, walked back in, and bought it. Anyway, my point is, I am totally new to WRX's, and have never bothered to tune a car before. As for noise, a little is ok, but I have to drop my kids off at school, and don't want to sound like I still belong in school! Some cars I hear are just obnoxious, and that is what I don't want. I think that I will focus on the handling first, and work on building up hp second. This car, un-mod, is way better than the Audi I had as far as speed is concerned, so the speed factor is not bothering me yet... I think I'll go drive a 09 and see what differences I feel, and go off of that.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well, strictly going by numbers, the 09 is a better car if not many mods are planned. It will definitely take some $ to make the 08 on par with the 09. Open source tuning is just starting on this forum seems like.... most people use Cobb's Accessport to use as a tuning tool. It is very pricey though, $700. But it does come w/ a lot of support and a large following. The tactrix cable is much cheaper. I wish I knew more about it..... :-\

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm was going to budget $3-4K, though i'm starting to wonder if I should just wait a few years, sell it, and see what Sub has to offer then? People on here might think I'm weird, but I happen to like the WRX without the ground effects of the 09, and I don't really care for the 09 STI style wing on the WRX. I like it on the STI though. For the WRX I like the clean looks of the non-premium 08, but I'm 35, and a father of 3!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
An SPT Cat-Back exhaust will help your car breathe a little better and isnt obnoxiously loud. A tactrix cable is used to link your car's computer to a laptop or desktop computer for open source tuning. Open source tuning is basically changing certain values in the program your ECU (car's computer) uses to run the car. For instance, you could raise or lower the boost pressure your turbo runs, lean out or enrich your air to fuel ratio, etc. Basically, your car comes from the factory with a very conservative tune to increase and ensure reliability. With an open source tune you can unlock hidden horsepower within your car without any additional modification at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Troa, Thanks for the explanations. I see that you have done a few things to your WRX. What kind of performance increases are you getting, and how has the reliability been with your mods?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
pa08- PM me if you want more details on the 08 tuning... I have a tactrix cable and a tune. it's great, and a LOT cheaper/better than COBB.

as for mods to your car, I recommend:

better tires (dunlop direzza DZ101's are nice - they come on the 09 WRX... or if you want to save money, General Tire Exclaim UHP)

K&N panel filter (drop-in replacement for the stock paper filter, will give you increased intake flow, better mileage/performance), part# 33-2304 (available at auto parts stores like autozone)

STi SPT "pink" springs: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1449

rallitek sways: http://rallitek.com/rafrreswbars.html

this will give you a car that basically handles more like a 2009 WRX or STi...

as for actual engine performance... I would get a tune. PM me for details on that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ingredients:

• [li]Steering rack bushings[/li]
    [li]SPT Pink Springs or '09 WRX Springs[/li]
    [li]'09 WRX Shocks[/li]
    [li]A mild swaybar upgrade (front AND rear)[/li]

Directions:

• [li]Combine ingredients in large mixing bowl.[/li]
    [li]Mix on low for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear in the batter.[/li]
    [li]Preheat frying pan and grease lightly.[/li]
    [li]Pour 1/4 cup of batter into pan.[/li]
    [li]Flip when large bubbles become rigid.[/li]
    [li]Remove from heat and place on plate with syrup. Add fruit for a tasty garnish.[/li]
Whoops! Sorry about that.. wrong directions! Here are the correct ones:

• [li]Install parts into new WRX.[/li]
Presentation:

• [li]This calls for a good alignment (max negative camber up front, zero toe all around). The factory alignment is crap... doubly so after all those new parts were installed.[/li]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I had POSITIVE camber from the factory

they could only ever get me right below -1 degrees (it was something like -1.25 in the front, -1.0 in the back)

camber plates are good for this sort of thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts