Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Thought i would finally make an account on here. Been a long reader on 3gwrx.com and au.3gwrx.com but never bothered making an account till now. Brief details about myself... 21 and studying at University, living in Melbourne VIC. Currently driving a MY08 Subaru RS, bought it a week after i passed my P's. Wasnt able to purchase a turbo flat four due to the P Plate laws so the RS is doing its job as a Daily Grinder. Was going to buy a MY11 STi Spec R, but due to Japan Natural Disaster, was told it would take minimum 10 months brand new from factory so i didnt put my order thru and shifted my priorities to an investment property instead for the future.

Sneak peak of my daily grinder!

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey man welcome, your car looks sick man, I had a MY10 white rs before my rex, still a decent car, good thing is when you move up to your sti you can just transfer all the parts across like I did.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every part except the most expensive ones... the wheels lol different PCD makes me sad!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome Melv. Love the wheels! Lots more choices in 5x114.3. :mad: Hopefully we'll meet up one day, I'm in western Vic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, now that is heaps far, no wonder I havent seen you around when you said you were from the West lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice car man,
But I have to say, good move with the investment property over the new STI, by the time you are my age (33), the rent from your property will pay for your new MY2022 STI which will probably levitate and have rocket boosters by then ;-) My opinion on cars is they are such a depreciating asset (liability!) that buying a used one with at least 6 months warranty left on it is a much better move as you can have any potential serious issues fixed by the dealer at no cost, and probably save $15-20K over a new one. imagine what even half of that amount would buy you in mods! Besides that - getting the most out of the car usually means voiding the warranty anyway so a new one to me makes less sense.
- Oh, and I like your wheels! (but you need a grille!)
Sparky

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is very true what you have said! Altho I havent found many or if any 2011 Pearl White STi's going for second hand. Already with the MY08+ front end so no point getting the same front end for the STi. I figured investment property is the way to go to have a pathway down the track, not to mention first home buyers grant is fairly high (not really, compared to last year).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah the only downside to the cheap 'in warranty' used vehicle option, is you are usually a couple of years behind the released car you are after. So yes, a car manufactured in the last six months is unlikely to appear on the used market. and even if it does, the cost advantage I am talking about wont apply, you will still pay new 'demo' price which is only a few grand off the showroom price anyway, especially because the are hard to get, dont expect to see any ripper deals on a used MY11 STI anytime in the next 12 months!
Sparky

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but I think when they launch the 4th Gen car all of the 3rd Gen cars will lose alot of value but that means if you want to get your hands on an STI 3rd Gen itll be alot easier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Possibly, but that wont miraculously make a rare car available on the used market, especially in an interrupted production year with the tsunami. But yes you are right, that seems to be what happens. Good point :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i guess we should just wait then untill the time is right, with disastrous events in japan, maybe itll just take longer instead of say 2-3 years for the sti to drop in price we will probably have to wait 4-5 now for the prices to drop. But by that time there will probably be a 5th gen launching haha just a theory though

·
Registered
179 Posts
Learning what we did from the 3G launch spec, it's also good to wait for new gen +12 mth new spec revision. But I am sure Subaru learnt a lot from the 08wrx sales slump from the hyundai like spec the 3G came out with :) I remember seeing it on display in an airport terminal thinking "shit another Mazda 3 that looks more like a camry". Re the MY11 sti you never know your luck though, set carsales to notify you if one in the right price range comes up. I would be pitching for $10K per year less than RRP assuming K's were low, but be generous in that setting to leave room for negotiation once you are notified of one coming on the market.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LOL haha Hyundai spec. yeah when the hatch came out i said id never own one and 1 year later i bought one haha, cant wait for the 4th gen to come out cause then the MY11's will be cheaper and hopefully in my price range

·
Registered
417 Posts
Melv,
Welcome to 3GWRX! Glad to have you on board mate, and nice looking RS. Gottas be one of the cleanest ones i have seen.
The current shape WRX/STI is apparently going to last until 2014. Not sure as I dont work for Suabru and all else is rumours i say!
As for the economic decision, Im with everyone else here. A car is something you buy when you can afford it. not when you are out of home to own.
For you being a bit younger, and a bit wiser than I was, you have chosen the property which is definitely the smart decision!
Over the years I have unfortunately blown half my money on car after car :) Had crazy fun doing so cause its what I have a massive passion for. I have been lucky enough to own some pretty nice cars though.
I think in my old small mind I thought that I would rather nice cars in my 20s than when Im an old fart. but reality is they are fun all the time for all ages if your into it.
I just went out to the track on Wednesday and met with a guy who ran a 12.2in his new Golf R, with just some bolt ons, I think hes 63 and going strong.
So there is no time limit on when you can have fun!! Save and see I reckon and good choice Melv.
Any plans for the RS?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha Yea! at first it was the STi all the way... property idea fell through at the beginning where I wanted to purchase an apartment near the city but it was all sold so i gave up. Back to it now though and searching around still for a decent place where I can get rent back fairly high.

I'm heading to Winton Raceway soon, on Sept 24th. Hopefully see what I can do with the NA RS. Will be my first time on track there, hopefully the AWD helps me out since there are heaps of corners. Saving for some coilovers and thats about it i reckon. Dont really want to touch the engine, maximum spend, minimum gains on NA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts