Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The official Subaru response on exhaust and intake info....

["Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America. We do not
state an increase in power and torque for just the SPT exhaust. We only
state an increase in power and torque when the three components of the
"Power Pack" are installed on a vehicle. For example, when the Power
Pack, which includes the SPT exhaust, SPT high flow air intake, and SPT
Heat Shield, is installed on a 2002 - 2007 WRX models, there is up to 30
hp and 20 lb/ft of torque as measured at the wheel.

Per our Accessories Department, the SPT air intake has been cancelled
for the 2008 WRX models, as Subaru was unable to find a blend of
emissions, performance, and reliability that met our standards.

The only information that we provide for the SPT exhaust for the 2008
and 2009 WRX models is: Full stainless steel construction with smooth
mandrel bends for low restriction and that famous boxer engine sound.
Incorporate optimized tubing diameters and polished exhaust tips that
are etched with the SPT logo.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any
future assistance, please let us know.

Best wishes, "]

In other words, "Sorry people, emissions killed your intakes. Blame the Left-Wingers and the EPA and find your own intake. Somebody out there will have to dyno a car to get the figures."

Got this info from other suby forum

·
Registered
164 Posts
wow, that sucks a-hole... thanks a whole lot subaru.

Well, i guess i have to hope that the service department at my dealership will ok me [not void my warranty] for an AEM intake and an AP to tune.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Weeeaaaaak, though by the time I would have need for an intake I was planning on voiding my warranty anyways haha...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hmmm I was holding out to see what SPT released too :-\

Oh well I guess I will start shopping for a different CAI

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
so Subaru just gave up on releasing an intake?
FYI: If you guys do go aftermarket, just make sure the aftermarket pipe has an air straightener/stabilizer/diffuser in there. If not, a pro-tune is pretty much a guaranteed must! The stock airbox has those air diffuser pieces.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, that does Suck! I know a lot of us were holding out for the SPT intake. I read a few weeks back on a diff forum that it was, "shelved". I was hoping it was just a rumor :-[ Subaru, must have cancelled for a reason. Could it be possible that the testing with the AEM CAI caused issues to the engine over the coarse of time (the car running to lean)? I'm afraid of losing my warrenty and even worst doing engine damage if i went with an aftermarket CAI. So now what?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
That sucks. So which is better AEM or Perrin?
Perrin = Foam/oil and connections(bot one piece smoothness but 199 retail
AEM = Dryflow, heat shield, single piece smoothness 269 retail

The AEM will also give a bit more power than Perrin due to the foam vs dryflow filter element.
AEM might also get CARB exemption dunno about Perrin since they aren't from CA

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
And yeah this sucks for all of you waiting :mad:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah, that does Suck! I know a lot of us were holding out for the SPT intake. I read a few weeks back on a diff forum that it was, "shelved". I was hoping it was just a rumor :-[ Subaru, must have cancelled for a reason. Could it be possible that the testing with the AEM CAI caused issues to the engine over the coarse of time (the car running to lean)? I'm afraid of losing my warrenty and even worst doing engine damage if i went with an aftermarket CAI. So now what?

Depending on how mod friendly your dealership adding a CAI could very well void at least a portion of your warranty, that is the chance that you take.

Many people are running a CAI W/O a tune. Your ECU will be able to compensate some for the increased air flow Example: some people are running the UR CAI with out throwing any codes :-\. I am with CuRiOuSfIsH if you have a CAI you should have it tuned too. Personally I am clumping mods together. This is what Santa is bringing me early this year (Hopefully in a couple of weeks) DP + CAI + Tune = Happy ECU ;D... (Already have the SPT CBE) That way you can get the most out of the tune.
My .02

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I was under the impression that foam filters have better flow but less filtration compared to the AEM dry-flow.
Foam filters are meant to distribute dirt and grime throughout a larger surface area. The oil is needed to catch more and distribute (also hinders air flow though). The filter can perfrom for longer intervals without cleaning. But flow to flow when clean the dry types flow better.
Foam in itself is also not great for filtration hence the need for oil since the fibers are not that tight.

Link:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Perrin also stated that their foam filters don't produce as much power, but it's their trademark and (supposedly)last longer between cleanings so they continue to use them. (Midway the question was asked)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473991

I dunno my filter is still awful clean :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok guy's this is my first turbo\first Subaru. I was awaiting the SPT intake from Subaru. Since it looks like that fell by the way side. What would be a decent Mod to do next out of the following two choices.
1. AEM intake
2. Cobb AP (stage1)
Thank you to everyone who replies.
-JR

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ok guy's this is my first turbo\first Subaru. I was awaiting the SPT intake from Subaru. Since it looks like that fell by the way side. What would be a decent Mod to do next out of the following two choices.
1. AEM intake
2. Cobb AP (stage1)
-JR
I would say the AP Reason = It is a high $$ mod. If you plan on going to stage 2 or stage 3 then you will need to have engine management (EM) in place. If you can you might as well get it out of the way now. My first mod was the AP. It has worked out well since I am going stage 2 soon and I don't have to think about EM.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
1. AEM intake
2. Cobb AP (stage1)
-JR
AP FTW safer tune, more power, response, and update potential :)
Perrin= 93oct 300wtq 225whp :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah SPT really let us down on this one. Even though the 08+ stock ECU is able to compensate some what for a new intake, I'm really worried about long term use, and the engine running lean. I know it sounds weak but I'm leaning towards a drop in filter by K&N, because getting a $300-$400 tune (depending on where you live) doesn't really make sense for a $100-$200 add-on intake. I would more look at getting an intake last, maybe after going stage 3 or 4, and then getting a tune then. To make the most out of the tune.

As aside does anybody know if Cobb/rallitek/perrin ect. make any AP maps that would include their specific Intake?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
that suck... will see but anyway there is no point on getting the CAI now, i will wait after winter to see if im getting a AEM or not

1 - 20 of 25 Posts