Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share my conversation w/ Lee Grimes of Koni. I'm looking at a 09 and figured I'd start my homework a little early :) They are working on a 08/09 application as we speak- they even have part #'s :D They are anticipating a "winter" release (Dec-Mar). Lee helped develop the current LGT setup and as the "new" WRX shares a very similar platform he has good insight into what works. Lee assured me the Koni's would share the same wide range of damping as currently offered for the previous gen WRX's- which means these should handle mild to almost wild spring rates :)

As a side note, a 08 owner has evidently successfully utilized the Koni LGT setup (8610 1447 front insert w/ 8010 1053 rear shocks). He stated the front insert was a perfect fit, the rear shock he had to replace the bottom bushing w/ the oe WRX one and the rear top he had to enlarge the hole slightly for the LGT one to fit. Said it's working great.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^I agree. I've had them on a car of mine in the past. The yellows were a bit rough, but the adjustability was REALLY nice.

·
Registered
954 Posts
definately good new but. .. . . .if you look at the price of koni's for the LGT on their website, by the time you buy struts and springs, you could have bought a set of full coilovers.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Woo hoo! ;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yes, konis are expensive, but most coilovers are well over a grand. I mean you could get some coilovers for a little bit more, but they are going to be pretty basic, and much more than likely they are going to be really stiff like most coilovers are. Besides, konis generally last a LONG time.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Kind of annoying I think. I called them about 3 weeks ago and they said not to expect anything anytime soon as they hadn't even thought about making a set for the WRX at that point. I talked to a different guy though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the legwork :) I'm dying to upgrade my suspension to something worthwhile.
it's a little early to let the "cat out of the bag", but am working w/ another outfit on a quality spring that should compliment the damping of the Koni very well. will be on the sportier end of the scale, with careful consideration to lowering

I think the coming of the 09 WRX will help hasten some of the work that's taken a while to get going. I can tell you it was very painful the first year or two (01/02) w/ the "new" WRX, but got better and better with each year :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts