Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by saying that I will be bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow. See sig for car and <lack of> mods

We just got our first snow, and my street is mostly unplowed. So while I was coming to a stop the ABS kicked in...and there was a loud noise from the passenger footwell (almost 'rattley') ... I then notice upon starting back up the vdc intervenes and it gets the same kind of noise, again only from the passenger footwell.

The question is: Could this just be noisy ABS and VDC operation, but still be normal? Or do I have a problem (IDK, some kind of brake problem). I can safely say that it otherwise seems to drive normally on clear pavement. I had the ABS kick on earlier today, but I didn't remember if it was that noisy...

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I will say that the ABS on the subaru's ive driven, especially my wrx, has been louder than on other cars that I have owned. However, from your description I am not sure what you are describing exactly. maybe just take your car over some slick areas and give it a good hard brake and see if you can replicate it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will say that the ABS on the subaru's ive driven, especially my wrx, has been louder than on other cars that I have owned. However, from your description I am not sure what you are describing exactly. maybe just take your car over some slick areas and give it a good hard brake and see if you can replicate it.
Oh, I can replicate it with no problem (doing just what you suggested). Good and loud on the passenger side only and it has an extra noise on that side not present in the driver side.. Noisy in general, but louder on that side. I'm afraid that it is a caliper or something like that, which is why it could be making noise when being used (thank you VDC), but it doesn't make a peep when stopping on regular road surface.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
similar noise was heard on my brothers spec b, turned out that the passenger side caliper was secured properly, it could also be a small piece of gravel as that happened to me a while back...

let us know what happens with the dealer
It -was- or -was not– secured properly? (I know you said it was, but it seemed a little odd the way you said it..)

joneSi

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OOOOPPPSS lol my bad i meant not properly secured....durr go me :)
Ok, that is what I thought, lol. I was like -"Why would he make it a point to tell me it -was- secured properly"... :)

Did he notice a problem when he was braking ONLY on ice/snow, or did he notice it on dry pavement?

joneSi

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've hit the ABS hard 3 times in my car. Every time sounds like I am tearing off straight-cut gear teeth in a garbage disposal. ABS in this car sounds nasty. Period. The first time I applied my brakes AFTER the ABS engaged, they acted funny for just a split second before returning to normal (made a slight 'clunk' while depressing the brake). Its happened all 3 times I hit my ABS. If I had to guess its just equalizing pressures back to steady state after the ABS engagement. But thats the guess of an engineer, not a mechanic....so take it with a grain of salt.

Does that describe your problem or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
OOOOPPPSS lol my bad i meant not properly secured....durr go me :)
Ok, that is what I thought, lol. I was like -"Why would he make it a point to tell me it -was- secured properly"... :)

Did he notice a problem when he was braking ONLY on ice/snow, or did he notice it on dry pavement?

joneSi
nah he noticed pretty much any time he pushed on the brakes a little harder than normal, so thats why im still confused as the what exactly is up with your whip

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah, i'd like to know what happens at the dealer too, good luck.

my older impreza made a sound like you are describing when the abs kicked in (no vdc). at first i thought i broke something cuz it was a loud vibration and through my brake pedal it felt like my brake discs were going to smash off. anyway, are you always turning in a certain direction when you hear it on the passenger side?

best wishes with the dealer.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Everytime I heat up the brakes the loud grinding noises arrive. Then it goes away once the brakes are back to cool. Especially noisy when at low speeds when about to come to a stop.

This noise lasts much longer with VDC activated and when I did my rain runs with the VDC on, it made all sorts of other noises. Even when hopping back on the highways for another 10min. When I turned the VDC off and braked go to stop normally several times, the noise finally went away.

I inspect the brakes after my runs and everything was normal.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everytime I heat up the brakes the loud grinding noises arrive. Then it goes away once the brakes are back to cool. Especially noisy when at low speeds when about to come to a stop.

This noise lasts much longer with VDC activated and when I did my rain runs with the VDC on, it made all sorts of other noises. Even when hopping back on the highways for another 10min. When I turned the VDC off and braked go to stop normally several times, the noise finally went away.

I inspect the brakes after my runs and everything was normal.
You agree with the service manager, then. I have the same result, when cold, they make virtually no noise. Get on 'em a bit and they make noise when the ABS/VDC activates.

On a side note I made sure I introduced myself to the service writer. He was nice enough. He didn't try to push me to get the service done there either, in fact he told me he could get me set up for side jobs with the subie mechanics so I didn't have to pay the service fee. Also said he would do fluid changes for me at the cost of the labor if I brought my fluid in with me. So at about 10k I'll be switching to redline trans and diff fluid. Then to M1 as planned. I told him I would be upfront with him about the car, and that it was being babied by me. So far, so good.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've had the grinding noise for the first time this winter but it made it all the time last winter ans the dealer disassembled the 4 brakes and told me they were okay, they have been bitches at sometimes but I trust they wouldn't have told me that if something was about to tear apart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts