Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the stockers on the 08 WRX sedan are 17x7, +55

I'm looking at getting 17x7.5 inch wheels and have a choice between +45 and +48. I certainly want a more flush appearance. Will +45 achieve that without rubbing? Anyone try this?

--UPDATE-- Oct 17

due to the helpful nature of the responses... now we're trying to figure out if 245/45s will rub/cause problems on 17x8 e48. woot!

--UPDATE-- Nov 19

Went with the Rota G-Force in 17x8 e48 and wrapped them in the new Kumho Ecsta XS tire in 235/45/17. Initial impressions on Page 5, Reply #71

--UPDATE-- Dec 1

Dirty Pics on page 6!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Would +45 offset cause a problem?

im pretty positive i got a 45 offset on my 17x7.5 rotas runnin 215/50 toyo proxes 4. zero problems at all. you can see pics of my car in this thread, its the first one, silver obs w/black wheels. . . .http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=3315.0 any q's let me know

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

You shouldn't rub with that offset. I have 17x8 +48 and I have a fair amount of clearance, at least such that I could run the same size wheel at +45 w/o a problem. Still, 17x8 +48 sits very flush, I wouldn't expect that 17x7.5 would look any worse, especially with a 225/45/17 size tire.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

im pretty positive i got a 45 offset on my 17x7.5 rotas runnin 215/50 toyo proxes 4. zero problems at all. you can see pics of my car in this thread, its the first one, silver obs w/black wheels. . . .http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=3315.0 any q's let me know
Thanks bud!

Those are the exact wheels I'm looking at, but will be running either 225 or 235 Azenis or Nittos on 'em.

Great to see them on your car... Most of the Rotas are +48 which helps a bit, but these have optional +45 that sits out even more :) I dig it. Thanks for the response and link!

Oh btw, were you lowered in those pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You shouldn't rub with that offset. I have 17x8 +48 and I have a fair amount of clearance, at least such that I could run the same size wheel at +45 w/o a problem. Still, 17x8 +48 sits very flush, I wouldn't expect that 17x7.5 would look any worse, especially with a 225/45/17 size tire.
Hmm.. maybe I should go 17x8 then...

What wheel/tires are you running? Your cardomain site is down momentarily for maintenance ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

It depends on what size tire you want to go with. I wanted to go with a 17x7.5 size wheel, but I couldn't find any that I really liked. For a 17x7.5 size wheel 225/45/17 is pretty much a standard size (meaning 225/45/17 wheels are generally measured on a 17x7.5 size rim). With my 17x8 wheel there is a VERY slight amount of stretching, though it is hardly noticeable (235/45/17 is a more appropriate size for a 17x8 wheel). But, with the same size tire (meaning 225/45/17), even on a 17x7.5 versus a 17x8, it should sit about the same in terms of flushness (assuming we are talking about wheels with +48 offset). that 0.5" in wheel width isn't going to make a HUGE difference in terms of appearance as the tire will be mounted in the same location relative to the hub, regardless of the width of the wheel. You might want to look up what offset actually is because I feel like I'm having a tough time describing what I am trying to describe here.

I'll snap a picture a little later to better show how my wheels sit in terms of flushness. I consider them very flush, but what I consider flush might not be as aggressive looking as you want it to be.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It depends on what size tire you want to go with. I wanted to go with a 17x7.5 size wheel, but I couldn't find any that I really liked. For a 17x7.5 size wheel 225/45/17 is pretty much a standard size (meaning 225/45/17 wheels are generally measured on a 17x7.5 size rim). With my 17x8 wheel there is a VERY slight amount of stretching, though it is hardly noticeable (235/45/17 is a more appropriate size for a 17x8 wheel). But, with the same size tire (meaning 225/45/17), even on a 17x7.5 versus a 17x8, it should sit about the same in terms of flushness (assuming we are talking about wheels with +48 offset). that 0.5" in wheel width isn't going to make a HUGE difference in terms of appearance as the tire will be mounted in the same location relative to the hub, regardless of the width of the wheel. You might want to look up what offset actually is because I feel like I'm having a tough time describing what I am trying to describe here.

I'll snap a picture a little later to better show how my wheels sit in terms of flushness. I consider them very flush, but what I consider flush might not be as aggressive looking as you want it to be.
Great, thanks! I'm definitely familiar with offset. I know that a lower offset will push the wheels further out, reason being offset is actually measured out from the hypothetical center of the wheel. My only concern is rubbing or having issues of clearance.

Doing a little bit of searching, I've come to somewhat of a conclusion. I originally wanted to just swap the stockers onto the 17x7.5s, but I'm thinking of just getting new tires at the same time, which then tempts me to go all out and get wider wheels and squeeze 245s in there :)

So I think I'm going to go with Rota G-Forces in 17x8, and wrap them in 245/45 rubber... this should slightly decrease my wheel gap as well. The Pinks didn't lower the car quite as snug as I'd wanted it. This should alleviate the issue.

I'm not sure how far out I need to be to sit flush, but an 8 inch wheel will give me an additional 12.7mm on the outside, and a +48 offset will give me another 7mm. Adding those together will net me 19.7mm which is approximately .78 inch. So in other words, the wheels will sit an additional 3/4 inch out. Sounds pretty good :)

Any issues with 245s on a +48 offset? Any rubbing on the inside? outside?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Hmm, there seems to be enough clearance left that 235 should work without any issues, though 245 might be getting close to rubbing territory. Not completely sure on the 245 though, so maybe someone else could chime in. 245/45 will probably throw your speedo off a bit, but 235/45 would actually correct the stock inaccuracy (it reads ~1mph too low on stock wheel size). I'll go out and see what kind of clearance I have left for that size of tire tomorrow and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hmm, there seems to be enough clearance left that 235 should work without any issues, though 245 might be getting close to rubbing territory. Not completely sure on the 245 though, so maybe someone else could chime in. 245/45 will probably throw your speedo off a bit, but 235/45 would actually correct the stock inaccuracy (it reads ~1mph too low on stock wheel size). I'll go out and see what kind of clearance I have left for that size of tire tomorrow and get back to you.
Thanks chanke, you've been very helpful.

With 245/45, the speedo will show 58.x, when I'm really doing 60 mph. That's 100% ok by me because the 245/45 will yield about a .6 inch increase in overall Outer Diameter, resulting in .3 inch reduction in wheel gap :) I'm all for it! And I guess I shouldn't worry too much about outer rubbing, I can always roll the fenders, I just want to make sure I won't rub against the suspension components.

·
Registered
153 Posts

+45 will not really give you a flush look.
If you want flush look at +35 wheels. But those are almost certain you have to roll your fenders.

So, you'd be super safe with +45 offset for sure

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

+45 will not really give you a flush look.
If you want flush look at +35 wheels. But those are almost certain you have to roll your fenders.

So, you'd be super safe with +45 offset for sure
Absolutely,

to clarify, I don't mean dead on flush... but closer to the fender than it currently is. I'm not going for the Roller Skate look which is what +35s would probably give me.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Thanks bud!

Those are the exact wheels I'm looking at, but will be running either 225 or 235 Azenis or Nittos on 'em.

Great to see them on your car... Most of the Rotas are +48 which helps a bit, but these have optional +45 that sits out even more :) I dig it. Thanks for the response and link!

Oh btw, were you lowered in those pictures?
i think i had on the pinks in those pics. that was before the coil overs. ill try to get a new pic up for ya so you can see how it looks really low. they sit pretty dam flush now that the fender is super close to the tire, looks pretty dam good in my opnion :)

·
Registered
954 Posts

its a possibility. thats why i said i think its 45, i know its forty something, so its probably 48 than

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

The speedometer already reads about ~1mph fast, so the correction that a 235/45/17 tire would offer would be very close to the actual speed. 245/45/17 would be probably slightly over actual speed, and put the speedometer at about the same amount off as it was with the stock size tire, except instead of reading too fast, it reads too slow.

I went out and looked at the clearances though between the suspension components and the tire, and there isn't a ton, even with 225/45 size tires on a +48 offset. I know I said it before, but 235/45's will probably fit w/o issue, but I wouldn't think about trying 245/45's without a lower offset than +48, and then you'll have to think about fender rolling. I snapped a couple of pics of where my wheels and tires sit in regards to flushness to the fender. They don't stick out from the fender at all, but they do pretty much line up perfectly with the fender (if you were to extend a line STRAIGHT down, it would nearly line up with the wheels/tires), which is my definition of flush. I will post the pics within the next couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The speedometer already reads about ~1mph fast, so the correction that a 235/45/17 tire would offer would be very close to the actual speed. 245/45/17 would be probably slightly over actual speed, and put the speedometer at about the same amount off as it was with the stock size tire, except instead of reading too fast, it reads too slow.

I went out and looked at the clearances though between the suspension components and the tire, and there isn't a ton, even with 225/45 size tires on a +48 offset. I know I said it before, but 235/45's will probably fit w/o issue, but I wouldn't think about trying 245/45's without a lower offset than +48, and then you'll have to think about fender rolling. I snapped a couple of pics of where my wheels and tires sit in regards to flushness to the fender. They don't stick out from the fender at all, but they do pretty much line up perfectly with the fender (if you were to extend a line STRAIGHT down, it would nearly line up with the wheels/tires), which is my definition of flush. I will post the pics within the next couple of hours.
hmm... how close is it to the suspension? Is most of the issue in the rear or front?

looking forward to those pics when you get the chance. I'd love to see your set up!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: Determined to run 245/45s

get some coilovers than you will have no issue with rubbing on struts!

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

get some coilovers than you will have no issue with rubbing on struts!
I wish I could bud!!! But, alas, it's a lease :) I'm trying to be a little sparing with mods. Everything I've done thus far has been something I can easily remove or leave on the car when I turn it in. Hence why I went with the Pinks.

Honestly, I'm just doing black wheels to match the vinyls we're getting done on the car. Backstory: I'm in process of incorporating a new business. We will be a Premier Online Vendor for the Subaru and Mazdaspeed communities. As a rolling advertisement, I need to vinyl up the car and a chunky wheel/tire combo should fit right in :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Ok, here are some pics I took. I did my best to take them to show where the tire and wheel is in relation to the fender.
17x8 +48, 225/45/17

18" would have probably been more attractive, but I wanted to get the tires from tirerack as it saves the hassle of dealing with centering rings and mounting. Though, I probably won't ever use them again as they did possibly the worst job balancing the tires that I have ever experienced....ever, and that is one of the primary reasons I ordered from them, because they supposedly match mounted and roadforced balanced the tires before theyship them, though they obviously didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

man, the flash really makes that wheel gap look big. it doesn't look NEARLY that big irl.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts