Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and hook me up with a moderately cheap set of rear struts for the WRX. Mine blew out after putting on the STi pink springs and now I'm a little screwed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
how'd that happen? :eek:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh... not really sure. But it seems to be happening to a few of us. It looks like it might be due to some bad advice to use vice grips on the strut assembly. DON'T DO THIS.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Did you put vice grips on the shaft of the strut? Yah I wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you put vice grips on the shaft of the strut? Yah I wouldn't do that.
If I had a Delorean with the license plate "OUTATYM" I would totally take that advice :D

i may have some for you in a couple weeks

if you still need em by then ill hook you up ;)
Hmmm... well I'm not sure how much longer I can really drive on these. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and hook me up with a moderately cheap set of rear struts for the WRX. Mine blew out after putting on the STi pink springs and now I'm a little screwed.
you have a PM

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I gently suggested not to use vice grips on a strut tube as it would cause the struts to blow out...but everyone shot me down in the thread :(

I'm sorry yours struts blew out dude, I hate when modding becomes a pain in the ass due to part failure. I am VERY familiar with this, more so on one of my old imprezas, and not on my current one thankfully.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, and I remember reading it and thinking, "maybe it's not such a good idea afterall" but then so many people agreed that using vice grips would be fine so I went with the majority rule.

Yeah, I hate when modding becomes a pain. You already have to justify buying the parts, then when things so start going wrong with it, it's a huge bummer and actually kind of embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Sigh... not really sure. But it seems to be happening to a few of us. It looks like it might be due to some bad advice to use vice grips on the strut assembly. DON'T DO THIS.
Using the vice grips on the shaft, if done at the top like in my pics would have had nothing to do with the blowing of the struts. The bump stop would cover the part where the vice grips were, there fore not allowing the part that is mared to go into the lower part of the strut.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the vice grips on the shaft, if done at the top like in my pics would have had nothing to do with the blowing of the struts. The bump stop would cover the part where the vice grips were, there fore not allowing the part that is mared to go into the lower part of the strut.
See that's EXACTLY what I thought. Yet they're still leaking. And both of them no less. I don't know what else would have caused this.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
See that's EXACTLY what I thought. Yet they're still leaking. And both of them no less. I don't know what else would have caused this.
Have you gone offroading/rallycrossing since you put the pinks on? Offroad powersliding can cause problems, although not likely.

Also, the bump stops DO compress a little bit, if your vice grips were on the shaft right next to the edge of the bump stop, it could have compressed enough to cause a problem

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Maybe its just the diffrence in the springs. thats a good possibility. Im getting all sorts of flak about the vice grips thing now....... theres like 4 posts about it going around.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, no aggressive driving like that.

I suppose it's possible that the vice grips were right at the threshold of what's fine. It's hard to tell without taking them off the car.

·
Registered
954 Posts
if it makes anyone feel any better, i dont think its the vice grips. i changed my springs w/o vice grips and all four of my struts are leakin. i think they are just super lame from the factory

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm... interesting...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts