Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the OEM Roof rack and it's bloody cold out side and I'm trying to put it on without freezing myself to death. Here's the problem it's driving me bananas! I get the rack lined up no problem, but as soon as I try and use the supplied screws they seem too short, I can't for the life of me get them to start threading. Has anyone got any tips or had this problem before?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use a headlamp to shine through the mounting plate so I can see that the rack mounts are lined up perfectly. It is a bit of a pain to get them lined up just right - don't force the screws or you'll cross-thread them.
The fwd mount screws angle back just slightly when lined up correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem. One bar went on fine (the rear I believe, but can't remember for sure). On the other the screws were too short and I stopped by a fastenal and got different bolts and some washers to make it work. Definitely frustrating that the supplied hardware wasn't right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMFG! I know engineers need things to do too but seriously when it's -15C you don't want to have to fiddle with stuff like that! I wound up using 2X 6mmX45mm for the rear and 2 X 6mmX50mm in the fronts with flat washers and I popped the stupid plastic cups off so it's easier to install now and it's not going anywhere!

Now to let my hands thaw a bit, it sucks having to type with my toes!

·
Registered
498 Posts
For me it was just practice. I am not saying that others have gotten screws that were too short, but it seemed at first that I couldn't get mine to catch, but after putting on my Kayak carriers probably 50 times or so, I don't seem to have a problem. It takes me about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMFG! I know engineers need things to do too but seriously when it's -15C you don't want to have to fiddle with stuff like that! I wound up using 2X 6mmX45mm for the rear and 2 X 6mmX50mm in the fronts with flat washers and I popped the stupid plastic cups off so it's easier to install now and it's not going anywhere!

Now to let my hands thaw a bit, it sucks having to type with my toes!
I grinded some of the plastic off the bolt to give it more room to grab the screw hole. WOrks but I certainly won't be removing these again anytime soon.
Only needed to do this to front bar.

08 WRX Sedan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts