Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just receive my premium sideskirts from Subaru. I bought the base model sedan, and need some info on installing these things. They came with no hardware, and it seems that there needs to be some holes along the bottom-side where the sideskirt clips into. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I need to know how they are mounted under the car. Is there screws or something that holds it on there?

·
Registered
253 Posts
There was another post on these a few months back, but I cant locate it. From what I remember, it is a pretty big deal to install the side skirts. There is some drilling involved all along the lower body panels and I remember someone else saying that they were suprised that there was no hardware and no instructions that came with them as well.

Good luck. When you figure it out, be sure to take pics and let everyone know how it went!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The skirts should have come with a number of clips. They require drilling a number of holes in the side and under-side of the skirt area of the car in order to attach them. If you don't have the clips then you will either need to get them or come up with another way of attaching the skirts. I'm having my sides put on by a body shop, but the rear spats should be a lot easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, now I need to figure out a accurate way for drilling out the holes. I don't want to make any mistakes. I figure I can use self-taping screws for the bottom part. Does anyone know the size of the holes that go along the side of the car?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Thanks for the replies, now I need to figure out a accurate way for drilling out the holes. I don't want to make any mistakes. I figure I can use self-taping screws for the bottom part. Does anyone know the size of the holes that go along the side of the car?
I would just wait till you get the clips if I were you, if you can. I feel like using self tapping screws will make things a lot more complicated. Drill a hole just big enough to accept the clips (which are push-in type clips), clean the area on the car really well after you drill, make sure you paint the exposed metal areas so they don't rust, after that you have everything mounted up you might consider finishing it up with by squeezing sort of adhesive, like a clear silicone adhesive (what I use, you can find it at most auto part stores). I've used it before to finish up oem lip installs on other cars and it works pretty well assuming the surface is clean and you can find away to apply a little bit of pressure so that the adhesive can cure. It's not the strongest adhesive in the world, but it's easy to clean off if you have to and it. That's what I would do. I'm sure you COULD do it with self tapping screws, but considering you are drilling into metal portions of the body you probably don't want any exposed jagged edges that water can collect in between and form rust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to take your advice. Are you talking about the clips that go along the side of the car or underneath. The side skirts came with the clips that go along the side. There is eight clips on each one. There is five square holes that go along the bottom, is there suppose to be clips that go into the holes? If so, I am going to order them from Subaru.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yes, there are pretty big clips that go in those square holes, at least that's what subarugenuineparts sent me. There are a couple of other clips, but it looks like you could do without them as long as you have those clips along the side, bottom, and the clips that are at the front of the skirt where it attaches to the fender liner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts