Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 sti hatchback. I will be doing a oil change soon. What is the best oil and filter to use? Also what all should really be done and check to keep it top of the line and running great? I have just got this and need some tips and helpful facts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i use rotella t6 5w40 and black oem filters. for anything else, check your owners manual. its all listed in there by time frame and mileage. how long have you owned the sti?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got it the 31 of last month but the oil is soon do and just getting a head start on what all should be done

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problems in the winter with it being a thicker oil. Iv seen the same respond to other topics like mine. Think thats what im going to go with when its due.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
No problems in the winter with it being a thicker oil. Iv seen the same respond to other topics like mine. Think thats what im going to go with when its due.
i run the rotella 5w40 year round. these motors are always hard to turn over in cold weather anyway. we had some real cold almost 0 degree days last winter and she still started. whats the mileage on your sti? tranny and diff fluid makes a nice difference by swapping to a better fluid as well. i ran subaru extra-s on my 30 k service. this past month,i changed to motul gear oil for my almost 60k service. you rear if i recall is different than the wrx though. it takes special gear oil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do a Google search for "energy conserving" wrx or "energy conserving" turbo.

Interesting information. A little scary.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Ive been using the same brand on my 08 only because there are no winters here, but I did use the redline series of lubricants for everything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried T6 because everyone online recommended it but it made too much valve train noise on cold start for me to be comfortable. I switched to Amsoil OE 5w30 at about 36k miles and have no issues. My used oil analysis comes back fine. I recently switched over to the Mazda RX8 filter; still waiting for the UOA to come back to compare it to the Subaru blue I was using. My 11 STI currently has about 56k miles on it.

If you have a torsen rear diff (your 08 came with it stock) you don't need special gear oil for it. You only have to worry about LSD additives if you have a clutch type (not what the torsen is). I use the same fluid in my transmission and rear diff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Amsoil premium 5W30 with a blue OEM filter. I don't use any oil and my WRX starts right up in cold weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts