Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised that I've not seen any discussions here about the revised oil change intervals for our turbocharged babies (revised down from 7500 miles to 3750 miles, use the "severe" schedule), nor about the need to inspect/replace the filters on the turbo and AVCS oil supply lines. See, e.g., http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1142487#post1142487 on the legacygt forums web site. That thread (starting around post #123) has a lot of interesting information that my dealer did not let me know when I picked my car up. In fact, I was told that my oil service interval was still 7500 miles, which, according to the information in that thread, is a recipe for a fragged turbo down the line.

The thread also suggests that a good synthetic oil (to minimize sludge production) is a decent idea; however, my dealer also shrugged off my questions about using synthetic oil, which surprised me given the turbo.

The Subaru tech who chimed in at post #123 in the above thread suggests that the filter/banjo bolt assemblies need to be replaced every 30,000 miles. The one on the passenger side is a royal pain, too.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I did my first oil change with Mobil 1 syntech at 1600KM... and im gonna do the same thing myself every 5000KM that i will own that car
i know syntec last longer but i still and will alway do any kind of oil change every 5000km

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea, I went in to change my oil at 1500 miles. The dealer repair rep was a little surprised to see me, then he remembered me. They also gave me my first 2 oil changes free. They suggested every 3500 miles also and only use Synthetics. I guess I'll go and read the thread now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The recommended interval from the dealer is only recommended assuming u stay stock.

Changing anything your intake expecially, in anyway, shuold in theory make your engine dirtier (more flow more dirt), and so you should change every 7000km (about 4500miles).

I'm currently changing every 5000km (well, mileage is currently 5100km++). was doing the 5k km change on my previous car and i intend to stick to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pehon, the TSB supercedes everything you've been told before. ANY turbo motor is automatically presumed to be in "severe" use by the new rules, stock or not.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I plan on 3000 miles using Amzoil. They say you can go longer but why risk it.

Seth

·
Registered
382 Posts
pehon, the TSB supercedes everything you've been told before. ANY turbo motor is automatically presumed to be in "severe" use by the new rules, stock or not.

I noticed this too when I bought the car, thought it was interesting that Subaru is now saying that a turbo=severe driving...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts