Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's start with what it does:

basically the problem is the little mesh filters in the oil lines. there are 4 (I believe) throughout the entire car. one is in the banjo bolt leading to the turbo, one is in the union screw at the AVCS module...

at the very least, those two are clogged on my car. I changed my oil and filter with AMSOIL at least every 3000 miles (and have it documented). the dealer is giving me the run around and telling me that there's nothing wrong with my car, even though I'm getting a code P0011 for AVCS failure due to oil starvation.

now my turbo is squealing (see above video)...

just a warning to everyone out there: if you get the chance, pull out these stupid little filters. they don't do anything but cause problems, and Subaru has released TSBs EVERY YEAR that tell techs to REMOVE THEM to fix the problem.

I'm taking my car in for the 3rd time Monday, let's hope they actually fix it this time.

UPDATE: here is a link to one of the MANY TSBs related to the filter issues:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-103-07.pdf

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah unfortunatly there is an issue with these filters and what worries me is when I mention it to the service writers at any local dealership they look at me with a confused look on their face. At that point I just stop talking and pray to god that they service tech working on my car knows what he's doing. However I wouldn't just go taking them out. I don't want any kind of gunk or debris getting into something that spins at 100,000 RPM's.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but would you rather have it pump maybe a little gunk through and spit it back into the oil supply, where it would get filtered... or have it clog the mesh screen and starve the turbo of oil?

subaru's official fix is to remove the mesh screen filters.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah amsoil is all synthetic. So what your telling me is that all these screens have been removed from my car since i've taken it in for oil changes already? If thats the case i'm not gonna change my oil every 3700miles.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I highly doubt they removed any of them if you haven't been having issues. The legacy guys have had issues with these too. I don't know why they insist on using them if they cause so many issues, especially the turbo supply ones.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it's a TSB so they only remove them if they've caused problems before

amsoil is fully synthetic and I changed both oil and filter every 3000

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, When I had a large CAI and exhaust I would get a BAM from engine (if car was working over 80 mph) and it would look similar to whats going on in your car - Cruise flashing, check engine, etc. after I removed the CAI and tuned car I had no problems. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
So what is the concensus here should I have the dealer remove these at the next oil change or just leave them in since they aren't causing me any problems.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'd say leave em in till you're safely out of warranty if they aren't causing any problems. It would suck to have a claim denied because you removed a potential problem causer that didn't necessarily need to be removed at that moment in time.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, When I had a large CAI and exhaust I would get a BAM from engine (if car was working over 80 mph) and it would look similar to whats going on in your car - Cruise flashing, check engine, etc. after I removed the CAI and tuned car I had no problems. Any thoughts ?
that's fuel cut due to overboost from a CAI

I am mostly stock, all I have is STi springs. the code I'm getting is P0011 which is a AVCS issue due to oil starvation. no "bang" ... the lights just come on and the turbo squeals.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
that's fuel cut due to overboost from a CAI

I am mostly stock, all I have is STi springs. the code I'm getting is P0011 which is a AVCS issue due to oil starvation. no "bang" ... the lights just come on and the turbo squeals.
Bring it in pls, oil starvation for the trubo and squealing = overheated turbo bearing and shaft you might need a new turbo also.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they're replacing the turbo and intercooler

they said it was starved of oil due to the little filters clogging

= exactly what I said a week ago...

I got a rental car:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Whoa.. Big pimpin' in the rental! At least you're getting everything fixed. It's just too bad that they didn't do it earlier. Man, that would suck if they accidentally gave you a VF52. :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Great that they're replacing the turbo.

Nice rental

·
Registered
821 Posts
sorry to hear about all the troubles. its great they are finally taking care of it for you, and like the others said, that rental is money!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it actually WOULD suck if they gave me a VF52, because the car is tuned for a TD04, so it would actually be SLOWER since it would take longer to spool to the same power band...

but that would be awesome if they left one in my trunk for after my warranty expiration......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts