21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yay! ;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
glad you got it all ironed out. what did they do regarding the filters? did they remove them all together, or just replace them? In case of removal, which ones did they remove?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
they replaced the filters because "they can't remove them entirely" (not true: the TSB says to remove them!)

there is one at the banjo bolt for the turbo, at one at the union screw for the AVCS... there are others in the system, I'm not sure on where exactly. you might want to call a Subaru tuner - they would probably know. I plan on removing them ENTIRELY and not replacing them. they are a stupid idea, the oil filter serves the purpose of filtering... if these filters "do their job" they cause the system to fail... so they really are not a good idea unless you replace them when you change your oil.

the rep basically said that they approved my repair "under good will" because technically it wasn't Subaru's fault but it wasn't my fault either... it was the filters, and Subaru says they only fail if you have really dirty oil... but I change my oil every 3000 miles... so who knows.

blame aside, it got fixed and I didn't have to pay for it. problem solved. :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Maybe just replace the one at the turbo every few oil changes? Seems to me that, from what I've read, that's the one that get's clogged up the most frequently.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
nah I'm just going to take them out. they are unnecessary. the idea is they will stop any particles from getting into the turbo... problem is if the filter works, the turbo gets starved of oil and fails anyway...

so I'll take my chances ::)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Maybe just replace the one at the turbo every few oil changes? Seems to me that, from what I've read, that's the one that get's clogged up the most frequently.
that's what I plan on doing- you can't get just the filter, but the bolt/filter is $10 (you need new copper washers too- they run .50 or so)- I figure every third oil change

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
why was your tire pressure light flashing ??? i never seen it flash mine stayed on
mine is flashing because I have winter wheels with winter tires and I didn't pay extra for more sensors (I don't need them)

so the TPMS module is flipping out since it can't find the sensors... they're in my factory wheels in the garage since I have summer tires on them :)

TPMS is kind of stupid... but if it prevents idiots from losing control on the freeway, I'll deal with a little light.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ahh ic ic well at lease you dont have to worry about that then, i just had no clue the sensors were in the wheels ? coming from an 01 eclipse this shit i way high tech for me lol

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
yep, every NEW car in the US after 2010 will be required by law to have the tire pressure monitoring system

most new cars made now already have them

DRIVERS are not required to keep their air pressure correct or even keep the sensors... the cars just have to come with them from the factory. so it's kind of a dumb idea, seeing as the problem is the drivers, not the cars.

what this really means: sleazy tire places will have yet another thing to try to trick you into buying

"yep, looks like your TPMS sensors are expired... you'll need four new ones!"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Regarding the mesh screen filters, I think it may be a good idea to keep them in assuming the risks have been considered by Subaru over these many years of having them be part of their design. Subaru like any other manufacturer would love to save cost and eliminate said filters if they could. This is just my guess, but because Turbo chargers generate so much heat the engine oil will have an increased tendency to develop deposits that are insoluble and large enough to destroy the bearings of the turbo if not somehow contained (or make it past the oil filter). Can you image what would happen if something like a very small piece of gravel were to flow into the turbo bearings as it spins past 10,000+ rpm? I know other car makers like Mazda, Mitsubishi, etc.. may not use these inline type of filters but I wonder if that is because of where the turbo is located within the engine bay. Subaru's turbo is pretty much located within feet of the passenger compartment. I wonder if the mesh screens are a safety measure to prevent exploding ball bearings from shooting through the firewall's thin sheet-metal and into the cabin if the worst case scenario where to happen.

The way I see it, if the engine were operating normally and maintained well then the screens should not clog as has been proven by so many people with 100k miles on their car. Perhaps this is one reason why Subaru recently lowered their oil change interval to 3,750 miles.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I totally agree

I'm just saying it's one of those things;

IF the filter does it's job, it clogs, and the turbo starves

so either way, you're screwed...

ideally it would be great if the filters were easier to change and you could change them at every oil change

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
as far as I know the 2009 turbo imprezas still have the filters in the oil lines

the TSBs for all previous years mention the "issue" and the fix is to remove or replace the filters

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just wondering is there a DIY on replacing that one filter that clogs? I am just about to do my 30K work on my car. I want to keep it in warrenty. I am thinking to be safe get the filter changed when I am doing my 30K work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a FYI for you guys, the one going to the turbo is not easy to change. According to Subaru's service manual, it wants you to remove the turbo to get it out. I've done it with out removing the turbo, but it does take some work.

As for the filters, Subaru is very goofy about this with dealerships. If we say we removed the filter under a warranty claim, SOA will kick it back and we will not paid for the job. They want us to replace the bolt/filter with a new one. If it was my car though, I would just remove the filter.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts