Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a recomendation for good oil to put in the engine? i have been using Castrol Edge Formula R but in the past used Mobil 1, both are good products but i fear the Mobil 1 is a fraction thin!

What are you guy's using?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally have changed to Castrol Edge 10w-60 good oil for modified vehicles.

A mate of mine has done oil tests and finds the 10w-60 Castrol Edge lasts the longest

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same question re transmission fluid. Even my local stealership admits the stock oil is crap. Dont know about anyone else, but the gearbox isnt the best - hoping new oil will be the answer - castrol multitrax 80w 90 or a comparative redline product...any thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Castrol edge 10w-60 for engine
Castrol syntrax 75w-90 for transmission (at 27$ a freaking litre!!)
Castrol LSX 90 for the rear diff

(just about to do a 100000 service so i need to replace all the oils)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm due my first change since switching to Castrol Edge 10w-60. I change at 6250 km's, half of Subaru's recommended distance. What have I noticed? Well, oil consumption is now bugger all compared to the rubbish what the dealers were putting in and it stays remarkably clean as well. It's not cheap but neither is your engine. I am impressed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been over a year since I last posted here, anyone know of any leaps forward in oils out there?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah, been quiet in here for a long time. Amusing considering there are so many registered users but none seem willing to post. I'm still using Edge 10w-60. Have picked up a heap at Supercheap sales so have enough for a coupla years at least! ;) Last 3 five litre containers cost about $47 each which is not to be sneezed at!! Oil consumption is now zilch so I'm still impressed. Don't use synthetics if you drive like a granny... Sorry fatboy got off topic, no, not aware of any great leaps forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used royal purple in my s15 Silvia, it was the only oil I found that actually made any noticeable difference. Everything was quieter, ran better, less fuel consumption compared to the motul 8100 I always used to use before making the change. Using royal purple in my 08 wrx seems to love it more than what the s15 does.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So it seems that Castrol and Royal Purple are the suggestions. Heard negative and contradicting things about Mobil 1.

I used royal purple in my s15 Silvia, it was the only oil I found that actually made any noticeable difference. Everything was quieter, ran better, less fuel consumption compared to the motul 8100 I always used to use before making the change. Using royal purple in my 08 wrx seems to love it more than what the s15 does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts